Understanding Vocal Keys
Guitar1969
Jan 13 2009, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
Luciana:
I have a question that I've asked before in other forums and have never received an answer to help me understand better, and I think it is a question that other guitar players would benefit from. I play guitar at my church with a singer who doesn't know what key she sings in, and I am in charge of putting to together the worship songs that we play. We sometimes have this problem where I will show up with a lead sheet that the other musicians and I have practiced, but then she can't sing it in that key, so we scramble to change the key.

So when we talk about higher and lower keys, it really gets confusing. So my first question is, what is the lowest key of music from the perspective of a vocalist. From a guitarist perspective the E is the lowest note on the guitar. I understand the notes keep repeating in different octaves , but sometime she'll say she wants a song in a lower key. If I understand it correctly, it has more to do with the range of a song which can cause a problem for a singer.

Now a piano starts with middle C and goes from there. Is there a key that is considered the lowest universally for musicians, not dependant on the type of instrument being played. Is there a vocal exercise to determine your natural key.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:14 PM