2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Your Opportunity To Beat Me To Death, enjoy yourself doing it
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 01:44 PM
GMC:er
Ok, as I can dish it out, I figure I should be able to take it. Some of you may recognize this. I made a highly sophisticated recording, I turned on my metronome, my IRiver mp3 playerand here you are.

IN MY DEFENSE, I have only been playing 12 months, last September I remembered how to tune a guitar from when I was a kid, I knew nothing else. But this is pretty representative of my ability at this point. I can also record my version of Canon Rock if anyone is interested in hearing that.

I kept the chords stuff to a minimum to keep it brief. It is at 130bpm, same speed as Clapton on wheels of fire.

I am already embarrassed by this, and am very hesitant to embarrass myself here, but what the heck. I will have to to laugh at myself later on.

I will delete this in a day or so, so you have about 24 hours to rip me to shreds. Have at it.

Again, I realize this is AWFUL, so show no mercy, I don't want to hear any of this happy time stuff, just rip it to shreds, I want criticism.

this is embarrassing, or well, here I go.......ouch ouch ouch, this hurts.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 3 2007, 05:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Layzer
Sep 18 2007, 02:30 PM
only bad thing i can say is that I go to Mizzou and DO NOT APPROVE of your JayHawk!!!! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 18 2007, 02:37 PM
I havent been playing very long so I am in no position to comment on your playing skills but I have been listening for a long time and honestly that tone hurts my ears.... im sure its just a gear thing and you are probably well aware of that anyway lol

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 18 2007, 02:53 PM
I think its sloppy, and at parts it could be otu of timing, but then again I could just not be paying attention to much. tongue.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 18 2007, 04:44 PM
Lets go fishing!
I think the ideas behind your playing are good, and it has definate potential. I think you could probably do with fine tuneing your gear to find the right "tone", and also maybe work on your timeing.

keep up the good work biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 18 2007, 04:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 02:44 PM) *
Again, I realize this is AWFUL, so show no mercy, I don't want to hear any of this happy time stuff, just rip it to shreds, I want criticism.

If I walked into a bar and first thing I heard was this I'd turn and walk ut. I'd spend my beer money elsewhere, maybe on earplugs.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Just kidding. Critisism can be both negative and positive and since you asked for critisism in general I will give a bit of both.

I'm a bit split about the solo. Parts of it did have a purpose but for the mostpart it sounded like pointless noodling with no specific goal. But that's also the hard part with a solo, some people can shred off a solo from the top of their head and it sounds good, but the next time they try they will play it differently. I'd like to see a solo as a song within the song, well written, with a purpose, with a goal. That's something I'd like to improve for myself and if you did improve that part too your soloing would meet an enormous improvement. As long as it has a meaning you don't even need to play so many notes. If you can play many notes and still have a meaning... sure why not!
Your technique is good and the meaningful stuff insoide the solo that you did sounded fine.
Somewhere around the one minute mark you drop the ball. At 1:45 you pick it up again, makes some cool meaningful chops but drops again after 15 seconds.
At 2:19 you pick it up and manage to lead the solo out quite fine.

The rhythm, well played. Resembles of a Cream song - Crossroads.

So to sum it up. I think you have enough chops and technique to be able to pull off a meaningful solo. Think it through, write it down or whatever suits you better and learn it so well you can play the same stuff time after time.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 18 2007, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 18 2007, 06:40 PM
It was quite hard to listen to, that's probably because you record with an mp3 player.... I think it would sound a lot better with a better recording device. I know i can't say much because my recordings sound bad with audacity and stuff but looking into better tongue.gif.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 08:07 PM
nm

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 18 2007, 08:31 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 18 2007, 08:18 PM
Instructor
Must say that I expected bit more experienced player,regarding to your posts on forum. smile.gif
Anyhow,it needs more routine and practicing for sure,it is kind a sloppy... sad.gif
But try to put some bass next time as well,It'll sound much better.
Thanks for posting this,many are afraid or shamed to do the same,
so thumbs up for it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 18 2007, 08:38 PM
I actually think the playing itself is pretty good. Well, of course kinda sloppy and not perfect bends etc., but for 12 months I think this was incredible.

But as MickeM said, its just some random playing for two minutes. You got a pretty good technique for your time of playing, but you got to learn some more licks tongue.gif
Maybe have some faster parts, and then slow down a little, have some short breaks etc., try to make a little change in the solo.

Oh btw, you did have a pretty awesome part around 1:47.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 08:56 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 18 2007, 02:38 PM) *
I actually think the playing itself is pretty good. Well, of course kinda sloppy and not perfect bends etc., but for 12 months I think this was incredible.

But as MickeM said, its just some random playing for two minutes. You got a pretty good technique for your time of playing, but you got to learn some more licks tongue.gif
Maybe have some faster parts, and then slow down a little, have some short breaks etc., try to make a little change in the solo.
Oh btw, you did have a pretty awesome part around 1:47.

You know Robin. You hit on exactly what I think was the weakest point, the bending, I'm flat at least half of the time, painfully so. Also I need to play it cleaner, a song like this has to be real clean.

Goal here is to play the Clapton version, note for note, timing for timing, from Wheels of fire. Not lifetime goal, just immediate goal.

I am going to see if I can clean this up, and then I will load it again. If I can really get this as a good Clapton imitation, I want to youtube it. Others may not like doing that, but I just want to do that, as close as I can come to him. I love his timings. But I probably need a backing track, Mr. Metronome just don't cut it as the Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker combo.

But you are exactly right Robin, the bends are painful at times, and it needs to be cleaner. I think my timings are fairly close, if you listen to Wheels of Fire version, you might agree. Clapton had a style of play where he had these pregnant pauses in rhythm, but he had the Bass player. I need the backing track. But the two points you mention are weak.

I have only been playing it a day or so, since I dropped it awhile back. I think I can fix it in the next few days, to make it tolerable. When I do I want to upload it again, and I would like your comments, and also Muris', and MickieM's. Again, as compared to the Wheels of Fire version.

edit: while I am doing this, I am going to listen to that song, to Clapton, just go get it in my ear. I really have not listened to it for a long time, need to do that. But I do think the timings are about right, need the rhythm section. There are 3 spots in his lead that are pretty difficult, you can't really get it from notation, he just hangs there a little, you know what I mean.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 18 2007, 09:01 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 18 2007, 09:00 PM
Instructor
I'm sure you can find a decent backing track for Wheels of Fire somewhere on net.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 18 2007, 03:00 PM) *
I'm sure you can find a decent backing track for Wheels of Fire somewhere on net.

I tried to find one, but all I could find was this real lame thing, awful. I will have to look further. But for this type of play, his style, correct, have to have that, otherwise it sounds like some things that I am actually doing intentionally, hanging a bit on the rhythm, are errors.

When I was a kid, listening to Clapton, this is what really struck me, how he would sort of break rhythm, but sill not break rhythm, it really stood out to me, so that is why I have tried to learn his version, to capture that kind of thing.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 18 2007, 09:14 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 11:56 AM) *
You know Robin. You hit on exactly what I think was the weakest point, the bending, I'm flat at least half of the time, painfully so. Also I need to play it cleaner, a song like this has to be real clean.

Goal here is to play the Clapton version, note for note, timing for timing, from Wheels of fire. Not lifetime goal, just immediate goal.

I am going to see if I can clean this up, and then I will load it again. If I can really get this as a good Clapton imitation, I want to youtube it. Others may not like doing that, but I just want to do that, as close as I can come to him. I love his timings. But I probably need a backing track, Mr. Metronome just don't cut it as the Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker combo.

But you are exactly right Robin, the bends are painful at times, and it needs to be cleaner. I think my timings are fairly close, if you listen to Wheels of Fire version, you might agree. Clapton had a style of play where he had these pregnant pauses in rhythm, but he had the Bass player. I need the backing track. But the two points you mention are weak.

I have only been playing it a day or so, since I dropped it awhile back. I think I can fix it in the next few days, to make it tolerable. When I do I want to upload it again, and I would like your comments, and also Muris', and MickieM's. Again, as compared to the Wheels of Fire version.
edit: while I am doing this, I am going to listen to that song, to Clapton, just go get it in my ear. I really have not listened to it for a long time, need to do that. But I do think the timings are about right, need the rhythm section. There are 3 spots in his lead that are pretty difficult, you can't really get it from notation, he just hangs there a little, you know what I mean.

For 12 months that was really good. ! On another note:

1. Youve heard it from everyone else, your playing was sloppy. Notice any of Muris's videos and you never hear any excess noise except for maybe the new SRV lesson which he does that on purpose. Work on palm muting and muting with the right hand, all that will improve you more then youll believe.

2. About the bending, sometimes it sounds like your bends were so quick you went out of pitch. Now believe me Ik how Clapton has the ability to bend into pitch very quickly but It is something that when done right, makes the song sound excellent.

Thats all the bad feedback I found in the song , but nice job biggrin.gif

- John

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Sep 18 2007, 09:22 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 18 2007, 09:27 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 09:56 PM) *
*snip*I would like your comments, and also Muris', and MickieM's. Again, as compared to the Wheels of Fire version.

Oh, I missed that it was a cover. I'm not familiar with the song anyway, I think. Will listen to the original before commenting on your next upload.

I said the rhythm resembled Crossroads, at least that's something biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 18 2007, 09:29 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 18 2007, 03:14 PM) *
For 12 months that was really good. ! On another note:

1. Youve heard it from everyone else, your playing was sloppy. Notice any of Muris's videos and you never hear any excess noise except for maybe the new SRV lesson which he does that on purpose. Work on palm muting and muting with the right hand, all that will improve you more then youll believe.

2. About the bending, sometimes it sounded your bends were so quick you went out of pitch. Now believe me Ik how Clapton has the ability to bend into pitch very quickly but It is something that when done right, makes the song sound excellent.

Thats all the bad feedback I found in the song , but nice job biggrin.gif

- John

Thanks, I want your comments to on my comeback in a few days. I thought, "work on this for a few days". For one thing, I ripped my nail on my fretting hand yesterday, and it hurts. I think my bends would have been closer otherwise.

However, then I thought "no, just upload it, get some comments, get yourself a good beating, it will be good for you, and then I will be motivated to redeem myself". Particularly to Muris, cause he said the mean things smile.gif Just kidding Muris, really love your comments, and you lessons are top notch.

So anyway, I am going to do this again soon, and we will see if I can come back. For one thing, going to play the SG. Clapton played the SG with cream. A les paul, I really love it, but you really need to be good to play a les paul, it takes real strength. Some of this stuff is right at the top of the neck.

I like playing it, it makes you stronger, but next time, I go the easy rout. SG. For a song this fast, you don't need the sustain of a Les Paul.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 18 2007, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2007, 12:28 PM) *
Thanks, I want your comments to on my comeback in a few days. I thought, "work on this for a few days". For one thing, I ripped my nail on my fretting hand yesterday, and it hurts. I think my bends would have been closer otherwise.

However, then I thought "no, just upload it, get some comments, get yourself a good beating, it will be good for you, and then I will be motivated to redeem myself". Particularly to Muris, cause he said the mean things smile.gif Just kidding Muris, really love your comments, and you lessons are top notch.

So anyway, I am going to do this again soon, and we will see if I can come back. For one thing, going to play the SG. Clapton played the SG with cream. A les paul, I really love it, but you really need to be good to play a les paul, it takes real strength. Some of this stuff is right at the top of the neck.

I like playing it, it makes you stronger, but next time, I go the easy rout. SG. For a song this fast, you don't need the sustain of a Les Paul.

Sg's have suppppppppppper fast necks smile.gif But you could always put your dress and lipstick on and play a ibanez? Only kidding tongue.gif I like ibanez but im sure Ill get flamed. tongue.gif

* Anxiously awaits for an improved recording biggrin.gif *

- John

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Sep 18 2007, 09:33 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2007, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 18 2007, 03:33 PM) *
Sg's have suppppppppppper fast necks smile.gif But you could always put your dress and lipstick on and play a ibanez? Only kidding tongue.gif I like ibanez but im sure Ill get flamed. tongue.gif

* Anxiously awaits for an improved recording biggrin.gif *

- John

Ibanez are super, I know.

Found a backing track. That will help a lot. Obviously Eric played very tightly with his bass player, and if you play his style, and don't have a bass player, well, duh. Backing track helps a lot.

But I am glad I left that off, because I think that resulted in a more severe beating, and I think that was good for me, as motivational. I mean, if I had not been whooped silly, I probably would be satisfied, and eating potato chips, getting fat on the couch, rather than now, having a purpose in life, to upload this again in the next week or so, and see if I can get a few "attaboys". Being a naturally insecure person, I love them "attaboys."

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 18 2007, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 18 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Oh, I missed that it was a cover. I'm not familiar with the song anyway, I think.

Me neither.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 18 2007, 10:57 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
First kudos for stepping up to the plate fkalich!

As everyone seems to have said for someone whose been playing for 12 months this was good. I'd say that as a positive it reminded me of Clapton and Cream around the 'Crossroads' era (indeed in places it made me think of Crossroads) - so that has to be a good base from which to start.

Tone wise - well the i-River is a nice MP# but as you know yourself it isn't ideal. On my pc the recording sound unduly compressed and I think that's more down to the i-river then anything. One quick way round this might be to use ogg-vorbis/flac which that mp3 player supports - although you may then run into compatibility problems when sharing. I'd strongly recommend investing in a decent sound card which can handle a line and HiZ input and recording your guitar/amp on to your pc via Reaper or something similar.

Tone from the amp - well it's largely subjective but to me your's sounded a little brittle - needs a more musical sustain... Hard to describe in words but assuming your after the Clapton/Cream era type sound your od is a bit harsh/brittle. Also I may be wrong but when the solo started proper I don't think you changed guitar volume at all - most guitar players tend to do this but you can get a lot of variety by changing the guitar volume on an overdriven amp - possible to go from clean through to od. This sort of thing can add a bit more interest to the solo for the listener.

Bends - yes they do need a bit of work to get to the right pitch. Also to me some of the timing issues seemed to be bend related - sometimes you start a bend on a beat only to finish out of sync; sometimes you start out of sync and finish out. Bit more work with the metronome will sort it and similarly some more practice of bending to pitch. As a suggestion - not sure I heard any pre-bends or double note bends - if not try a few as they can add a bit of variety. Maybe also try slow bends that then sustain with vibrato over a couple of beats.

Dynamics - again this may be more due to the i-river then anything else but - as with changing the guitar volume - add a bit of dynamic interest as at the moment the recording to me is a little flat. Try to get some of the key/target notes to jump out of the mix a bit more. I'd also suggest that you put some silence in - don't be afraid of silence in a solo, gives the audience time to catch up.

Composition - most of the time I could see where you were going and as I said for a lot of it it did remind me of EC/Cream, so well done. There were some particularly nice bits where you were sort of paraphrasing EC. I think that's good as for any listener whose heard EC it provides a great. You might however like to 'quote' a few others though: have a look at say Robben Ford as on a long solo Ford is particularly good at holding interest my moving away from tried and trusted blues scales.

Overall though I'd say it was a very good solo for someone who's played 12 months smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps - trivia - used to have an i-river as well until my wife put it in the washing machine sad.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:23 PM