Amp/cab Acoustics Question, How to place your amp/cab in the room for best sound?
Shime
Apr 8 2010, 08:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi fellow GMC-ers,

An general acoustics question which has puzzled me for some time now. I have a Fender 75(W) open-back tube combo with a 15'' eminence speaker which I only play indoors, in different rooms in the house, at reasonably low to medium high volumes, from clean to heavily distorted. As most of us will have experienced at some point, the tone and sound of a cab/speaker varies depending on the room you are playing in (large garage, living room, little room with low ceiling etc.). I mostly love the variety of tones and sounds I get from my combo regardless of the room I play in, but often the exact "tone experience" in different enclosed spaces is so subjective and unpredictable. For example, with some amp settings the tone to my ears may be better when I stand right next to the amp (not in front of it), and then inside the same room some other settings may find their best expression for me when I move 3 meters away from the speaker and face it directly...

I realize that there are lots of variables here, but my question is: what are the general rules for positioning your amp speaker inside a room to get the best (= most realistic) appreciation of its tone and sound? For example:
- how far should the back of an open-back combo be placed from the wall?
- should the cab/speaker face the longest side of the room?
- where should the player be vis-a-vis the speaker? At the other side of the room, directly facing the speaker, should you slant the speaker so that it points directly to your face and ears, etc.?

Thanks a lot for sharing your tips and experiences!

Shime

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2010, 12:20 AM
Instructor
It depends on the room, acoustic treatment/qualities of the room, mics used, not only the position. I guess you can make a sound more dryer if you place the cab in the corner and put mic close, compared to making the sound more open with cab in center and mic in the corner. All factors count, not just cab placement.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 13 2010, 06:45 AM
Also the position of the mic and included, your position, counts when you're hearing what your sound is sounding like. You can try as many things as you like and then, see what fits better on what you're looking for your sound

+Quote Post
Shime
Apr 13 2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I realize my question was a bit awkward. Perhaps the question to ask would be: how to create studio conditions for the sound of your amp?

Anyway, I will be experimenting further...

Shime

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 13 2010, 10:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have made some succesful results with the amp set where it sounds best in the room, then close-mic it with one mic, another one c:a 2-3 meters in distance and one condenser where it sounds best according to Your ears. (eg. in the same height as the ears).
Then they were blended and phased off in the mix.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Shime
Apr 15 2010, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Apr 13 2010, 11:27 AM) *
I have made some succesful results with the amp set where it sounds best in the room, then close-mic it with one mic, another one c:a 2-3 meters in distance and one condenser where it sounds best according to Your ears. (eg. in the same height as the ears).
Then they were blended and phased off in the mix.

//Staffay

Now that is professional. Way too advanced for me, but I get the picture smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 18 2010, 02:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Shime @ Apr 13 2010, 10:27 AM) *
Thanks. I realize my question was a bit awkward. Perhaps the question to ask would be: how to create studio conditions for the sound of your amp?

Anyway, I will be experimenting further...

Shime

You answered the question right there - by experimenting. Every room is different, every cab etc. By experimenting, you customize and shape the sound to your preference. Usually when people say they want to record an amp, it is suppose to be recorded dry with added effects later. Only logical purpose of capturing room ambience is when that room has good acoustic qualities. If it doesn't, try to record as dry as possible. Making a small iso-box is a good solution if you cannot make a whole room. It won't sound as good as good room, but it will sound great if you are on a budget.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:07 PM