3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Celtic Recommendations, ...it's not just for St. Paddy's Days
The Uncreator
Dec 3 2007, 02:10 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 2 2007, 04:46 PM) *
She has excellent taste in music but not so good in men wink.gif Rokchik.

Be careful Tony, you just insulted a Moderator, i might have to edit your post wink.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 3 2007, 12:54 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 9 2007, 11:29 PM
The Dark Canuck
This topic has really brought back some wonderful....and somewhat intoxicating (if you catch my drift wink.gif ) ....memories. I have quite a few more bands to add but I left the list at work (it was a slow day) The podcasts on iTunes are pretty great actually. Some very good indie celtic bands out there that's for sure. I'll update the list very soon.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 12:47 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Check this band :

They are called Ortodox Celts and are one of most popular bands here in Serbia !

myspace fan page : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=133606314

official band site: http://www.orthodoxcelts.co.yu/

I would really like to hear your opinion about them wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 11 2008, 01:31 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 10 2008, 07:47 PM) *
Check this band :

They are called Ortodox Celts and are one of most popular bands here in Serbia !

myspace fan page : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=133606314

official band site: http://www.orthodoxcelts.co.yu/

I would really like to hear your opinion about them wink.gif

This band is very good...it may take me a while to get use to Aleksandar Petrovic's voice as not really the style I like for Celtic music but he does a great job. The musicians are fantastic and the fiddle player, Ana Djokic is very talented. I really like their song "Merry Sisters" and their version of "Star of the County Down", which honestly is not one of my favourite songs regardless of who sings it, but they do a great version.

I don't like their version of "Rocky Road to Dublin" though. Amazing video...very beautiful, but this is one of my all time favorite traditional songs and the Irish Descendants version will always be my favourite. All other pale in comparison for me...well except maybe the Dubliners or Chieftans but hey, they are hard to beat smile.gif

Thanks for introducing me to this band Bogdan. I'll definatley add to the recommendation list as they are very good.

rok

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 01:36 AM
Thank you for your "review" smile.gif I was very interested to hear your opinion wink.gif As I said they are major act here and play on every "big" gig in Serbia wink.gif Always make the crowd go crazy wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 11 2008, 01:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 11 2008, 02:04 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 10 2008, 08:36 PM) *
Thank you for your "review" smile.gif I was very interested to hear your opinion wink.gif As I said they are major act here and play on every "big" gig in Serbia wink.gif Always make the crowd go crazy wink.gif

No problem Bogdan they are a very good band for sure. Their music is very traditional in nature and sounds wonderful. Like I said I'm not to keen on the voice but I could get use to it. He sounds great on the original music from the band but some of the more traditional stuff...well maybe I'm just use to hearing Irishmen sing them.

They do seem like they'd be a fun band to see live but then again when your playing and listening to this type of music it's hard not to have a great time...for me anyways. (Also a few Guinness never hurt either smile.gif ) Do you enjoy this type of music?

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Feb 11 2008, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 02:39 PM
Well actually I do very much! But for some reason I never listened to it at my home...Always seems to be on gigs live.. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 15 2008, 03:03 PM
The Dark Canuck
Well thanks to my good buddy Robin smile.gif I have a new favourite celtic group. The group is the String Sisters and they are amazing. I don't know much about them so maybe Robin can help out in that department but they are amazing fiddle players....I know not guitar but still I love the fiddle smile.gif

My foot hasn't stopped tapping since I started listening to them this morning and I already have them burned on disc for my St. Paddy's Day party tonight smile.gif Here is a youtube link to them. Just great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdgrsirYB0s...feature=related

Hope you enjoy

rok

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 15 2008, 03:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah, They are amazing.....Like.....WOW amazing.

Lets see, Robin has got me on Bjorn Berge, and now it looks to be The String Sisters laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 15 2008, 04:34 PM
GMC:er
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You guys should get their CD, String Sisters Live it is called. I think its the only CD they have atm, but they are touring the home countries of each band member and are gonna release one live CD from each country, if i read it correct on their website.

Glad you liked them. I got super amazingly blowed away when i heard them.

This post has been edited by Robin: Mar 15 2008, 04:35 PM

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 15 2008, 05:37 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 15 2008, 11:34 AM) *
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You guys should get their CD, String Sisters Live it is called. I think its the only CD they have atm, but they are touring the home countries of each band member and are gonna release one live CD from each country, if i read it correct on their website.

Glad you liked them. I got super amazingly blowed away when i heard them.

Just purchased the CD on iTunes biggrin.gif

Thanks again Robin!!!!

rok

PS: Like the new signature smile.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: Mar 15 2008, 05:38 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 15 2008, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Mar 15 2008, 05:37 PM) *
PS: Like the new signature smile.gif

Yeah, thanks, its amazing biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 9 2009, 11:51 PM
The Dark Canuck
Well St. Paddy's day is only a little over a month away smile.gif I figured I'd update this list with a couple of bands I found recently.

The Rumjacks - Australian celtic punk band.

The Mighty Regis - Haven't heard a lot from this band from California, but what I've heard I like.

Meisce - great celtic punk band from Seattle.

In Search of Rose - Great celtic Rock band from Germany

hope you enjoy smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 12 2009, 05:28 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 9 2009, 10:51 PM) *
Well St. Paddy's day is only a little over a month away smile.gif I figured I'd update this list with a couple of bands I found recently.

The Rumjacks - Australian celtic punk band.

The Mighty Regis - Haven't heard a lot from this band from California, but what I've heard I like.

Meisce - great celtic punk band from Seattle.

In Search of Rose - Great celtic Rock band from Germany

hope you enjoy smile.gif

rok

I'll add a couple that I didn't see mentioned earlier! If they were and I missed them I apologise for repeating!!!

The Peatbog Faeries
Afro-Celt Sound System

Hope you enjoy!!
I've worked with both these Bands at Festivals over the years and they always go down well!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 12 2009, 11:33 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 12 2009, 12:28 PM) *
I'll add a couple that I didn't see mentioned earlier! If they were and I missed them I apologise for repeating!!!

The Peatbog Faeries
Afro-Celt Sound System

Hope you enjoy!!
I've worked with both these Bands at Festivals over the years and they always go down well!!!
biggrin.gif

Great suggestions Sensible Jones!!! I really enjoyed them especially The Peatbog Faeries... they were amazing. Added to list smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 12 2009, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 9 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Well St. Paddy's day is only a little over a month away smile.gif I
rok

Also beautifully times for the start of the Rugby 6 Nations Rok - 'come the day, come the hour, come the power and the glory...' biggrin.gif . Ireland FTW biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 12 2009, 11:52 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 12 2009, 06:42 PM) *
Also beautifully times for the start of the Rugby 6 Nations Rok - 'come the day, come the hour, come the power and the glory...' biggrin.gif . Ireland FTW biggrin.gif .

Truer words were never spoke Tony smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 13 2009, 12:20 AM
One of my local bars has started selling Guinness and to celebrate I'm teaching a few locals 'Fields of Athenry' I must play them the Dropkick Murphys version of it cool.gif biggrin.gif. Be cool to have them all sing it when we play and beat England biggrin.gif . That and Amhán Na bhFiann - though they can't understand my Irish for some reason wink.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 13 2009, 02:18 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 12 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Great suggestions Sensible Jones!!! I really enjoyed them especially The Peatbog Faeries... they were amazing. Added to list smile.gif

rok

They are!! They're also a great bunch of people to get drunk with!! the first time I met them was at Glastonbury Festival and they were just busking in the middle of one of the Campsites!!! The next year they were on the Bill at cambridge Folk Festival and I bumped into them in one of the backstage Bars! Since then our paths cross every once in a while and it always involves Music and Drinking!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:52 AM