Ever Failed Changing Strings?, read and learn
Mackietao
Jan 13 2008, 09:08 PM
GMC:er
So I´ve been complaining for 2-3 weeks for myself about how bad my guitar sounds, specially on high E. Sounds out of tune even when only playing 1 string at a time. So I decided to change them just a moment ago. Took the old ones out and started getting new ones in there. Low E... lalalala... A.. lalalala... And when I´m working on D string, made the "knot" and started straining it I was reading on my screen. I think it was a chat with a girl... haha, I can´t remember, to traumatised wink.gif So after a few seconds I noticed, hey it isn´t sounding yet. Looked at my "knot" and it looked ok.. So I started screwing again. Oh my god, it isn´t even moving (now I looked down from the screen.) Oh well I thought I cut the leftovers from the other strings since they was in the way from me looking in to what I did wrong.. Cut the string and bang!!!
A string broke... haha, I had been straining that one instead of D string, and was already tight before I started.. :/

My first string changing failure... xD And if it wasn´t enough while changing high E string I reached for it and the pointing finger hit the spot where I just recently cut the B string. So it was sharp as.. Anyway, started bleeding!

Just not my night.

edit: note to self.. Focus on the right G.. Guitar.. Not girl! biggrin.gif Same goes for G-string biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mackietao: Jan 13 2008, 09:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
botoxfox
Jan 13 2008, 09:11 PM

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 22 2011, 03:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Jan 13 2008, 09:18 PM
Hahha biggrin.gif I remember when I changed my high E string because it snapped. I don't really know what I did wrong (maybe I just strained it too thight smile.gif ) but I do know that it stinged like h*** when the string snapped and hit me on my hand biggrin.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 13 2008, 09:25 PM
I snapped my low A the other day, I was like;

What the hell? huh.gif

I used to be awful at replacing strings - its taken me like 3 years to get half decent at it as I've only snapped about 5 strings in the guitar playing period of my life. laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 13 2008, 09:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Jan 13 2008, 08:08 AM) *
So I´ve been complaining for 2-3 weeks for myself about how bad my guitar sounds, specially on high E. Sounds out of tune even when only playing 1 string at a time. So I decided to change them just a moment ago. Took the old ones out and started getting new ones in there. Low E... lalalala... A.. lalalala... And when I´m working on D string, made the "knot" and started straining it I was reading on my screen. I think it was a chat with a girl... haha, I can´t remember, to traumatised wink.gif So after a few seconds I noticed, hey it isn´t sounding yet. Looked at my "knot" and it looked ok.. So I started screwing again. Oh my god, it isn´t even moving (now I looked down from the screen.) Oh well I thought I cut the leftovers from the other strings since they was in the way from me looking in to what I did wrong.. Cut the string and bang!!!
A string broke... haha, I had been straining that one instead of D string, and was already tight before I started.. :/

My first string changing failure... xD And if it wasn´t enough while changing high E string I reached for it and the pointing finger hit the spot where I just recently cut the B string. So it was sharp as.. Anyway, started bleeding!

Just not my night.

edit: note to self.. Focus on the right G.. Guitar.. Not girl! biggrin.gif Same goes for G-string biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif my first couple string changes were like that - especially the sharp parts poking me! tongue.gif Even still I'm real careful when I do it just to make sure I don't break a string (especially since I play elixers, which cost about $10-$15 depending where you get them).

I caught myself tightening the wrong string just the other day, luckily I noticed before it was too late and managed to tune it back down to normal before it broke.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 13 2008, 09:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I 'cut' myself at one of my strings too, this week. tongue.gif
I was paying too much attetion to the music instead of my strings... (I put on some music to change strings)

@ Owen: Is your sig from 'A Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy'?

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 13 2008, 10:09 PM
Instructor
i thing you have to change the strings every 3 monthes thats better for sustain and quality

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 13 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a sweaty beast when I play guitar so my strings corrode after about a month. My G&L S-500 has shaller locking tuners which makes it a snap to change the strings.

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 13 2008, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Jan 13 2008, 12:36 PM) *
I 'cut' myself at one of my strings too, this week. tongue.gif
I was paying too much attetion to the music instead of my strings... (I put on some music to change strings)

@ Owen: Is your sig from 'A Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy'?

Yes! Its the piece of text thats written on the book laugh.gif Glad someone spotted my homage! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 13 2008, 10:59 PM
I still need to try gutar restringing... I've used the same strings for over a year now biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2008, 12:30 AM
Instructor
Wow, watch out man, you can get hurt changing strings. I always keep my eyes away from the guitar when changing. A few times string hit me in the eye, and I was luck enoughso nothing happened. One time the high E string pierced my ring finger flesh and got on the other side..... smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 14 2008, 01:10 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
This is the only regret I have with my Jackson guitars is changing strings with the floating bridges. Watched the tutorial on FR string replacement and helped, but still, not the easiest!

If you hav'nt already, watch it. I pcked up some good advice that can be used on string thru's as well.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 14 2008, 02:01 AM
Instructor
even when you´re confortable with tunning and not snaping strings still it takes a lot of time o the string o settle down and keep their tunning.
Once in a shop I broke an E string doing some crazy bending on an sx guitar (fender strat copy), so the vendor came and give me a spare string I took the old string replaced and retuned in less than a minute while every one was looking, may be adrenalina has something to do....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 14 2008, 02:18 AM
I dont know, my High e string breaks like once in a couple weeks, I hit the strings pretty hard though wink.gif.

only broken one string while tuning them up though wink.gif
tj

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 14 2008, 03:43 AM
Learning Roadie
After I switched to Elixirs I noticed that they kept tone and sustain for quite a long time.. and most of the time the high E string would use to break on me after about a month or so just because I play it rather hard (by the way, I use 10-46s, and did as well before I switched to elixir, but I'm going to experiment with 9s a bit more next string change) but the elixirs last me for around 3 months without breaking. The other day one ended up breaking because I twisted my locking tuner too tightly during a tune up, not through playing. Good strings, IMO.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 14 2008, 03:44 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
drw84215
Jan 14 2008, 03:23 PM
the first time i changed my strings on a floyd rose it took me 4 hours. i couldent figure out what i was doing wrong. ended up snaping 2 strings.

another time i snaped a string and hit me in my glasses. if i didnt have them on i might have got poked in the eye. from now i always use my glasses (that are really expensive ansi z71 safety glasses as well).

+Quote Post
moles
Jan 14 2008, 09:18 PM
i remember when i first started changing strings

i used to like cower as i tightened the strings for fear of them snapping on me =P

ive been going for a while no problems

bout two weeks ago i was changing the strings on my guitar and my brother came in - i was on the last string high e
wasnt thinking and when he left i realised i had wrapped it round the wrong way.
doesnt make much difference but i got annoyed =P
look stupid

oh well tongue.gif

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 14 2008, 09:22 PM
i remember my first string changing experience...took me about an hour because for some reason my bridge fell off dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jan 14 2008, 09:26 PM
I've been playing and changing strings for over 10 years now and still sometimes mistakes happen tongue.gif .One of the biggest thingsi hate when i change strings is cutting the excess string to much and then not being able to use string or only being able to wind it one turn around tunning peg.One thing that happened not too long ago was i bought a pack of cheap strings that didnt even tell you the gauge or which # string it was.So i start putting them on only to find out i did 2 wrong,so from there i had to take them off and put them on another peg which made a sloppy job.

Finally ,im used to using a stright 6 in line tuner's not the 3 on 3 so when i try and change on an acoustic or something sometimes i will forget i have to turn the tunning peg the opposite way on the bottom 3 and can mess up that way tongue.gif .Man i think i've messed up everyway possible in the past and im not even getting into the Floyd Rose laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 14 2008, 09:40 PM
Christ. Never cut them when they are at full tension. Loosen the nuts first to get the strings slack and then pull them through the hole or cut them when they are slack.

I always used to have problems restringing and still do. Luckily now I have nut locks so only need to put string through and tighten lock biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:40 PM