2 Pages V   1 2 >  
D'addario Vs Slinky Vs Elixir
Kyle Logue
Mar 11 2008, 02:26 AM
Drum instructor
d'addario vs slinky vs elixir

I've always used elixir strings, but i hear that the other 2 mentioned might help with faster playing.

I'm going to pick some of each up soon and try them out.

What's your experience with them?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Mar 11 2008, 02:46 AM
GMC:er
well i used to use slinkys but they always seem to brake when they get old and you bend. that would always annoy me.
i now use d'addarios and there like slinkys but i seem to like them better. i never used elixirs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 11 2008, 03:32 AM
I like D'addarios the best, but I like Slinkys as well. I don't like the feel of Elixers, I can feel the coating when I play, and I don't like it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 11 2008, 03:41 AM
Elixirs or bust, then D'addario, then Slinkys.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 11 2008, 03:44 AM
Instructor
D'addario have always been completely useless for me. They break in no time on every guitar i've had.
So i would definetly go with slinkys or elixir of the options here.

But i use non of these really.. i stick with Blue Steels. But i've used slinkys a bit too, and i like the feel of them.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 11 2008, 03:46 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 11 2008, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I havent tried any of them but i am going to try d`addario now

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 11 2008, 07:56 AM
I havent tried d'addario or slinky. all i know is that elixir is amazing.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 11 2008, 08:31 AM
Instructor
Oh, just had to mention that Snarling Dogs are kickass strings aswell smile.gif
Would have been my main choice but they are hard to come by here in Norway

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 11 2008, 08:31 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
bsamn
Mar 11 2008, 08:42 AM
Hey,

I dont think the strings would help in faster playing, just a lighter guage may increase you tempo slight (+5-10 bpm) more than ur regular tempo

--------------------

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Mar 11 2008, 08:43 AM
I like D'addario. I've never had one break on me. * crosses fingers* If D'addario's arent available I just use my chest hair.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 11 2008, 09:00 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Lol@ Preowned:D I might do this too.. but with hair instead:) TOo bad, that I cant arm 7string guitar with that... I would have to go bald, to create single B string:D

Anyways.. By Slinkies you mean Ernies Ball? They are cool.. I am armed with them right now and I like them better than D'addario's. I am also definitely going to check elixirs out:) I heard only good things about them:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
visi0n
Mar 11 2008, 09:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I used D'addario and Slinky's i love them both, i have just bought Elixir strings, want to try them out by next string changing..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 11 2008, 10:03 AM
I used Slinkys for a long time. Have recently moved to D'addario and I prefer the sound of harmonics on the D'addario.

+Quote Post
Staples
Mar 11 2008, 10:25 AM
I've used a few types of Slinky's and settled on the hybrids. After I came round to those haven't really tried too much else, GHS then back to Slinky's. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Mar 11 2008, 12:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Power Slinkeys!
the best a man can get... oh wait... thats gillette sad.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 11 2008, 03:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
D'addario break extremely quick for me, the slinky's break even quicker, and Elixir did a good job of lasting for awhile and keeping tone.

Honestly though, I'd go for Dean Markley's, they are the best I've used, And remember the lighter the gauge the easier they are to play, light gauge requires a smaller force to get a good note to ring out when doing stuff like legato.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 11 2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor
DR are awesome strings, I was using it for a long time.
Now I'm with Elixir,anti rust feature is way too good. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 11 2008, 03:55 PM
GHS Progressives are the best strings I've ever played. The dave mustaine signatures have a bit thicker 3 bass strings. (.10 - .52) as opposed to .10 - .46.

Sound great, last ages.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 11 2008, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 11 2008, 09:55 AM) *
GHS Progressives are the best strings I've ever played. The dave mustaine signatures have a bit thicker 3 bass strings. (.10 - .52) as opposed to .10 - .46.

Sound great, last ages.

+1 on GHS, +1 on mustaine sig strings.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 11 2008, 07:25 PM
Wow, it seems like everyone has very different expiriences with strings! laugh.gif I've never had a D'addario string break on me, I've only had 2 Slinkys break, and everytime I've used Elixers they have broken. I wonder why everyone has had such radically different expiriences.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:23 PM