New Member (mith)
Mith
May 27 2014, 09:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey pretty sure this is meant to be the right place for introductions.

I'm Mith and I'm from Australia. Been playing since I was roughly 14yrs but its always been on and off. Over the last 3 or so years I've started to focus on my music alot more. Started by buying some simple recording gear then started getting a serious case of GAS. Delved into learning things on all instruments so I could compose music better. For me its always been the end product of a song rather than skills of any perticular instrument.

Currently my equipment is:
Amp:
Pod HD Pro
Matrix GT500 Power amp
Line 6 G90 Wireless

Guitars:
86' Charvel Model 4
13' BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X
OLP Coffin special edition
Washburn D10 Acoustic (12 and 6 string)
Few other guitars and basses
Pearl drumkit
Keyboard
(you get the idea, alot of toys)

So why did I join? Well I got alot of new gear and spent alot of time tweaking this gear and modding it so it played just right for me then one day it hit me like a tone of bricks I should also spend time tweaking and improving the way I play. I assesed how I played and thought about what I want to play like. Basiclly my playing came down to playing power chords and ocationally fumbling a ok pentatonic lick. I decided I wanted to make my music more delicate in softer parts and more insane during heavier parts.

So what have I been focusing on? Well I started learning a bit about scales and even tho it kinda made sence I found applying them very hit or miss (alot of miss) then realised I'm missing massive amounts of very basic skill and application so I'm currently learning fluently all the notes on the fretboard (something which alot of guitarists skip) and learning chords in depth (not just "cowboy" chords which a bearly knew anyway). So currently doing the Chord workshop and it has opened my eyes up a bit to how chords work through a progression.

So what are my insperations? Well I might skip the ussual names but my tastes of late have been Tim Skold (loving his work on his Anomie album and the newer manson ones) John5, Rob Zombie. NIN .... I could go on forever really (really wanting to push my playing towards Tim Skolds style, its got this beauty and harshness about it that I really dig)

And wow thats alot of writing. Guess when it comes to music we all get a little carried away. Anyway looking forward to learning alot and being very active around here. And always looking for advice and a point in the right direction

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 27 2014, 10:26 AM
GMC Founder
Welcome Mith and thanks for writing about yourself. It makes it much easier for us to help you get on the right path and progress as quick as possible.

QUOTE (Mith @ May 27 2014, 10:55 AM) *
And always looking for advice and a point in the right direction

Judging from the information you have given us so far - you want to get a solid musical foundation in order to improve your overall skills. I am referring to this paragraph:

So what have I been focusing on? Well I started learning a bit about scales and even tho it kinda made sence I found applying them very hit or miss (alot of miss) then realised I'm missing massive amounts of very basic skill and application so I'm currently learning fluently all the notes on the fretboard (something which alot of guitarists skip) and learning chords in depth (not just "cowboy" chords which a bearly knew anyway). So currently doing the Chord workshop and it has opened my eyes up a bit to how chords work through a progression.

The general advice I can give you, is to start on the "music end" of things. In other words - rather then to start by looking at a scale diagram and try to figure out what you can do with it, you should start by finding a lesson which you like the sound of.

See what scale the lesson contains (if you are having problems figuring it out ask here), practice the lesson for some time (if it's difficult just learn the passages which feel doable to you) - then try learning the scale by jamming over the lesson's backing track. This will give you a musical "entrance point" to the theoretical material ( ie the scale diagrams).

Not only will this method make practicing more enjoyable - but it will ensure that you never learn things which you cannot use in a musical situation. The later is unfortunately something I have seen a bunch of times.

If you want to submit a video of your playing - this will allow us to help you much better. I know it can be intimidating so no need to do it immediately. However, you have my personal guarantee that the feedback you get here will always be constructive.

oopsie thats a lot of writing as well..! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 27 2014, 10:39 AM
Learning Tone Master

Hi Mith and welcome in the family! Hope you will enjoy your GMC journey smile.gif
See you around the forum wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
May 27 2014, 12:21 PM
I like the idea of focusing on the music side of things and learning the skills in an applied setting. I think its something that I've skipped since as soon as I could play power chords and some pentatonic stuff and realised I could write music with it I went off and did that and never really bothered learning covers or anything like that.

As for filming I might gave to look at getting a cheap camera to do that so I can get the most out of the site and the people in it. But What I can provide at the moment is a bit of a clip of a song I wrote. Pretty much everything in it is either played by me or programed by me. The lead guitar is someone else but the guitar solo is me.

https://soundcloud.com/thirteen-graves/jaded-demo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 27 2014, 12:52 PM
Instructor
Hey, Mith! You're in the right place! Glad to have you here and we'll have a lot of fun studying together! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith! Welcome to GMC! This is a very interesting introduction. There are many things happening: great gear and guitars, good energy, very focused influences, and some interesting original music. I think that you have the attitude to achieve all the things that you wish. The first step would be to start setting goals and then write the map to achieve them. We are here ready to help you so feel free to post ideas, videos, and whatever you want and we will give you feedback and suggestions.

Do you have a guitar plan? Some goals, objectives for this year?
Are you interested in joining Cosmin's or my mentoring program?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mith
May 27 2014, 05:26 PM
Hey Gab, It was actually you Rob Zombie lesson that made me find at take a interest in this site.
My main goal for the year is to become a better musician. Even tho I mess around on my drums and bass (I also think there is a violin around here somewhere) I've always used these other instruments to not only write music but also understand them better so I can play guitar better.

For example learning a bit of drums helped me learn the frame of mind a drummer is in when playing so I can connect with it better while playing guitar. It also improved my timing alot and got me use to counting beats.

I find I really like focusing one small aspect and getting that part of my playing sorted otherwise I find myself jumping from thing to thing without really accomplishing anything.

Right now I'm focusing on memorizing all the notes on fretboard. I decided this was one really important step because it allows me to use my knowledge on guitar to be used on other instruments.

The other thing I've made a start on is the chord workshop. I really want to be able to use chords as easily as I would a power chord and I feel it will help my writing quieter passages in songs and it will also help find "target notes" for when I play lead.

Last but not least I've had my Charvel model 4 now for 4 months and it has pretty much become my number one but it is the first guitar I've owned with a floating bridge so I would like to get use to using it more. (I'm also building a custom guitar with my own 2 hands with Perry Ormsby in October thats going to have a floating bridge. Really exciting the prospects of making music with a instrument I carved out of wood myself)

As for longer term kinda of goals. I really want my music have have more depth and a sense of complexity. In the way blues players have each note really mean something. Not too much into shredding it right up. more of a fan of bursts of speed. I'm also a fan of modes and their tonalities tho still cannot really use them in context. I really like the slightly exotic feel it gives since I'm really interested in creating my own style and feel instead of emulating.

Anyway im interested in this mentoring thing Gab and since it was your video that got me to this place seems like the logical place to start. So how does it all work and how do we start all this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2014, 09:44 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to GMC!! This is an amazing community of players. Hop in to the vid chats and the REC vids!!!

QUOTE (Mith @ May 27 2014, 04:55 AM) *
Hey pretty sure this is meant to be the right place for introductions.

I'm Mith and I'm from Australia. Been playing since I was roughly 14yrs but its always been on and off. Over the last 3 or so years I've started to focus on my music alot more. Started by buying some simple recording gear then started getting a serious case of GAS. Delved into learning things on all instruments so I could compose music better. For me its always been the end product of a song rather than skills of any perticular instrument.

Currently my equipment is:
Amp:
Pod HD Pro
Matrix GT500 Power amp
Line 6 G90 Wireless

Guitars:
86' Charvel Model 4
13' BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X
OLP Coffin special edition
Washburn D10 Acoustic (12 and 6 string)
Few other guitars and basses
Pearl drumkit
Keyboard
(you get the idea, alot of toys)

So why did I join? Well I got alot of new gear and spent alot of time tweaking this gear and modding it so it played just right for me then one day it hit me like a tone of bricks I should also spend time tweaking and improving the way I play. I assesed how I played and thought about what I want to play like. Basiclly my playing came down to playing power chords and ocationally fumbling a ok pentatonic lick. I decided I wanted to make my music more delicate in softer parts and more insane during heavier parts.

So what are my insperations? Well I might skip the ussual names but my tastes of late have been Tim Skold (loving his work on his Anomie album and the newer manson ones) John5, Rob Zombie. NIN .... I could go on forever really (really wanting to push my playing towards Tim Skolds style, its got this beauty and harshness about it that I really dig)

And wow thats alot of writing. Guess when it comes to music we all get a little carried away. Anyway looking forward to learning alot and being very active around here. And always looking for advice and a point in the right direction

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:07 PM