Virgin Ears: Listening To Music Without Preconceived Notions
Mudbone
Sep 5 2010, 02:41 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Metallica's"Load" album is a fantastic piece of hard rock music. Yes, thats right, hard rock, not metal. When I first listened to it I was expecting another metal masterpiece from Metallica, but was in fact quite disappointed when I discovered that it wasn't. The reason why I was initially disappointed was because before I even heard it I had preconceived notions of what I thought it should be. Once I dropped my expectations of what the album should be, I really began to appreciate the depth and brilliance of it. I have now been listening to it consistently since its release. Definitely one of my top 5 albums.

If you listen to Load and expect thrashing metal, you won't find much of it. Instead you'll find lush chords, bluesy solos, bombastic riffs and soaring choruses - not really balls to the wall metal. But whats wrong with that? Can't each individual piece of music be appreciated for what it is, and not what we expect it to be?

This posting isn't really about Load, I'm just using it as an example.(in fact I'm afraid this thread is gonna turn into a "which Metallica album is best" thread tongue.gif) No, this posting is about judging each individual piece on its own, regardless of who created it and what we expect it to be.

So, the question is.... Do you listen to music with preconceived notions? Or do you approach each piece with virgin ears?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2021 - 09:09 AM