Speed... What To Do!
Zynex
Nov 23 2008, 06:18 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone,

Lately I have been a bit troubled about speed on the guitar. I often find myself unable to play an entire solo at full speed, because it has some very speedy runs. I can't stand it when I can't play the entire solo, but just sections of it. Slowing down the speed does help sometimes, but then the rest of the solo (wich I am able to play at full speed) is holding me back.. aaargh! what to do about speed? I don't want to get 100% focussed on speed, but.....

Any tips?

Thanx in advance!
zynex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 23 2008, 06:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hehe, you said it: The answer is slowing down and playing the entire solo slowly wink.gif

It's a common problem to want to speed up, just zooming on and shred the living daylight out of that guitar wub.gif
But the answer is to hold yourself back and play the entire solo great in slow motiion, and increasing your speed slightly over time. Never playing so fast that you'll have to slow down at a part. Play it slow until you know it by heart smile.gif

Hope it helped, even though I was just stating the obvious tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Canis: Nov 23 2008, 06:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zynex
Nov 23 2008, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (Canis @ Nov 23 2008, 06:33 PM) *
Hehe, you said it: The answer is slowing down and playing the entire solo slowly wink.gif

It's a common problem to want to speed up, just zooming on and shred the living daylight out of that guitar wub.gif
But the answer is to hold yourself back and play the entire solo great in slow motiion, and increasing your speed slightly over time. Never playing so fast that you'll have to slow down at a part. Play it slow until you know it by heart smile.gif

Hope it helped, even though I was just stating the obvious tongue.gif

Hehe thanks. I was beginning to doubt the effect of holiding myself back. Lately I have stumbled upon alot of solo's that I can play mostly, expect for 1 or to sections that are just to fast for me. It just really frustrates me, because I want to play the solo in its full glory biggrin.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 23 2008, 06:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Zynex @ Nov 23 2008, 06:37 PM) *
Hehe thanks. I was beginning to doubt the effect of holiding myself back. Lately I have stumbled upon alot of solo's that I can play mostly, expect for 1 or to sections that are just to fast for me. It just really frustrates me, because I want to play the solo in its full glory biggrin.gif.

Understandable ^^

It's hard to hold yourself back.. I'm struggling with the exact same thing tongue.gif
But it works extremely well when I do it =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kapto
Nov 23 2008, 06:58 PM
I know the feeling.
I'm learning "wasted years" solo by Maiden and there are two bars with a fast lick that I am not used to so I had to make a workout about this lick and practice it separately it may take me weeks or months to get it to the right tempo. It's quite frustrating when you come across something you never done before and have to train the brain, hands and fingers.

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 23 2008, 11:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kapto @ Nov 23 2008, 06:58 PM) *
I know the feeling.
I'm learning "wasted years" solo by Maiden and there are two bars with a fast lick that I am not used to so I had to make a workout about this lick and practice it separately it may take me weeks or months to get it to the right tempo. It's quite frustrating when you come across something you never done before and have to train the brain, hands and fingers.

This is definitely true. The only answer is however to push on with those fast licks and learn them as precisely as you can, or just simplify licks. There is no point in rushing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:25 PM