Dreamy Ballad Odd Time Collaboration, UPLOADS AND COMMENTS
Daniel Realpe
Nov 15 2009, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hello guys,

This is the thread for uploads and comments,

Daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 15 2009, 08:03 PM
GMC:er
Well usually I hold my takes back and release them later after some contemplation. Today, however, I feel compelled to post early. So! If these aren't dreamy enough, just let me know and I can head back to the drawing board.

1. simple (probably the most friendly for mixing)
Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 231

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 192

2. slightly strange (just slightly)
Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_strange_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 230

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_strange_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 188

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 15 2009, 08:03 PM) *
Well usually I hold my takes back and release them later after some contemplation. Today, however, I feel compelled to post early. So! If these aren't dreamy enough, just let me know and I can head back to the drawing board.

1. simple (probably the most friendly for mixing)
Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 231

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 192

Hi Jafomatic,

I actually didn't expect something like what you did, nice job!

I like your tone and the intention on the bends,

There's a couple of things mix wise though: Did you apply some type of compression to the track? the volume fluctuates a lot,

Another detail is to have the delay at the end fade out, these things are good to have in mind,

2. slightly strange (just slightly)
Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_strange_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 230

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_strange_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 188

I think I like this one better, has more character, I love the delay! the ending idea is very dreamy! tongue.gif

very good job!

Try turning down the backing track volume in your DAW and putting your solo on top of it, it doesn't matter if the overall volume is not too loud. In the final mix, I'll leave all the solos at the same volume.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 04:21 PM
All right, I'll re-mix the second version, the one with two guitar tracks, and figure out what's going on with the level changes. My usual setup doesn't do that at render or playback.

I'm glad you liked the take! smile.gif

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 04:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 16 2009, 04:21 PM) *
All right, I'll re-mix the second version, the one with two guitar tracks, and figure out what's going on with the level changes. My usual setup doesn't do that at render or playback.

I'm glad you liked the take! smile.gif

It's probably because I used a limiter at the end, this is a mastering process, so it sounds loud. But yeah, just try doing what I told you and hopefully it won't be a problem

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 04:39 PM
Actually, it could also be that my multiband limit/comp/gate weren't set properly. Let's try like this:

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str02_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 189

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str02_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 200

Those should be only adjusted for loudness. I'll see if I can fix the delay not fading itself out. That may have its level unintentionally raised by compression on my track but I didn't worry about it since you'd trim that anyway. Shall I trim instead?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Nov 16 2009, 05:11 PM
Well I am making progress with a sound that gels better with the backing track. I lost track of time and was jamming over it looped till ... ummm ... 7am .... Since we have some creative license I am gonna experiment next with some non-guitar effects to up the "dreamy" factor.

By the way, I can't get that tune out of my head. Perhaps some "Sublimal Sub-conscious Reprogramming Techniques" you are using on our sensitive souls? tongue.gif

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 05:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 16 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Actually, it could also be that my multiband limit/comp/gate weren't set properly. Let's try like this:

Those should be only adjusted for loudness. I'll see if I can fix the delay not fading itself out. That may have its level unintentionally raised by compression on my track but I didn't worry about it since you'd trim that anyway. Shall I trim instead?

ok, I see what's happening, yeah the compression is keeping the delay to fade by itself,

why do you use the compression on the track anyway? I'll trim it if you want but I'm just saying these things so that you'll be conscious of them,

I like the repetitive pattern you use, a good idea would be to break it in the last part. I mean it sounds good as it is, but it might gave it a feel of completeness,

QUOTE (Neurologi @ Nov 16 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Well I am making progress with a sound that gels better with the backing track. I lost track of time and was jamming over it looped till ... ummm ... 7am .... Since we have some creative license I am gonna experiment next with some non-guitar effects to up the "dreamy" factor.

By the way, I can't get that tune out of my head. Perhaps some "Sublimal Sub-conscious Reprogramming Techniques" you are using on our sensitive souls? tongue.gif

Oh you caught me! this is why I came to GMC, to reprogram all your minds to follow the new world order, through guitar collabs, biggrin.gif

If you repeat anything over and over, it will stick in your head. Yesterday I had this Ozzy song in my head, I just took the guitar and played it, and now it's gone. Good advice if you are in the same situation,

also try sending it with no comp, multiband limiting, cause I already did this process in the backing track, that's what's probably conflicting,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 05:47 PM
The arrangement (your track) redlines when I turn off the limiter. I also forced my left/right tracks to fade out smoothly together.

Regarding the pattern, I fall off the groove around the last 4 bars. That should also break the pattern, I think, but maybe it wasn't clear with both tracks competing for attention.

This never sounds as good to me without some push. Maybe it's my headphones, they're big but NOT serious studio monitors. Students (and a couple instructors) have come to ask me how I get this big sound, or how I mic my amp (I don't even HAVE an amp!) so I think the sound can't be all bad. The flip side is that all the guys with audio engineering experience & education insist that it's over compressed? It's a little frustrating smile.gif

Okay, so: it's not bad with everything turned off, but it doesn't sound warm and full anymore:

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str03_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 201

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str03_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 172

edit: attached the actual solo track.

This post has been edited by jafomatic: Nov 16 2009, 05:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 05:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 16 2009, 05:47 PM) *
The arrangement (your track) redlines when I turn off the limiter. I also forced my left/right tracks to fade out smoothly together.

Regarding the pattern, I fall off the groove around the last 4 bars. That should also break the pattern, I think, but maybe it wasn't clear with both tracks competing for attention.

This never sounds as good to me without some push. Maybe it's my headphones, they're big but NOT serious studio monitors. Students (and a couple instructors) have come to ask me how I get this big sound, or how I mic my amp (I don't even HAVE an amp!) so I think the sound can't be all bad. The flip side is that all the guys with audio engineering experience & education insist that it's over compressed? It's a little frustrating smile.gif

Okay, so: it's not bad with everything turned off, but it doesn't sound warm and full anymore:

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str03_full.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 201

Attached File  DRDBOT_jafo_str03_solo.mp3 ( 1.39MB ) Number of downloads: 172

edit: attached the actual solo track.

Yeah I see what's going on, the thing is that the backing track is limited so if you added a little bit of anything it's gonna clip, so you have to turn down the backing track a lot, mix it with your solo and then limit it a bit, just to have it louder but this is not necessary, I can do that in the final mix,

probably is not a good idea to have the backing track limited I guess, I'm gonna ask another instructor about this,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 16 2009, 10:57 AM) *
probably is not a good idea to have the backing track limited I guess, I'm gonna ask another instructor about this,

I think it's okay, it looks like I had your track bumped +1.1db originally (with all the stuff turned on). Once I took yours back to 0db it seems okay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 07:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 16 2009, 05:59 PM) *
I think it's okay, it looks like I had your track bumped +1.1db originally (with all the stuff turned on). Once I took yours back to 0db it seems okay.

all right, thanks!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 16 2009, 09:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
@jafo, I love your tone and your take, very dreamy and melodic ! smile.gif

My try :

Attached File  Dreamy_Ballad_Oddtime_Collaboration_NB.mp3 ( 608.6K ) Number of downloads: 205

Attached File  Dreamy_Ballad_Oddtime_Collaboration.mp3 ( 608.6K ) Number of downloads: 227

Ibbie RG270 + POD 2.0 + Ableton + ReCabinet and a bit of EQ.

Not sure it's 5/8 whatever tempo, sorry. tongue.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Toroso
Nov 16 2009, 10:09 PM
Good takes guys! This odd time is throwing me for a loop. huh.gif

This post has been edited by Toroso: Nov 16 2009, 10:09 PM

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Nov 16 2009, 10:22 PM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 16 2009, 10:42 PM) *

I seem to find it matches same tempo but at 5/4 ... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 10:39 PM
I got the track matched up on the measures in the DAW at 5/5, but I've always been a little ignorant of rhythm outside of "just playing on time"

To get past the oddness of the beat, Daniel has provided us with that nice count in measure(s). If you select JUST that section (2 bars in my DAW, but perhaps 1 bar of 5/8?) and loop JUST that section you can jam for a while on that, without the backing, until you get used to phrasing along with the accents within the drums there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Nov 16 2009, 10:49 PM
At 5/4 I get a two bar pre-count like Jaf. It may well be then a 10/8 time signature if it was a one bar pre-count. Some help please Daniel. It would help me to sync up the delay times via MIDI on the G-Major better. At the moment, I am probably synced at a half-time feel which for this piece may not be such a bad thing ...

I don't know. I am confused. It still seems to match anyways and maybe that is all that matters?

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Nov 16 2009, 10:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Nov 16 2009, 10:49 PM
To get past the oddness of the beat, Daniel has provided us with that nice count in measure(s). If you select JUST that section (2 bars in my DAW, but perhaps 1 bar of 5/8?) and loop JUST that section you can jam for a while on that, without the backing, until you get used to phrasing along with the accents within the drums there.

Good idea! I'll play around with that tonight.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 16 2009, 10:54 PM
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Nov 16 2009, 03:49 PM) *
At 5/4 I get a two bar pre-count like Jaf. It may well be then a 10/8 time signature if it was a one bar pre-count. Some help please Daniel. It would help me to sync up the delay times via MIDI on the G-Major better. At the moment, I am probably synced at a half-time feel which for this piece may not be such a bad thing ...

Whole notes at 148 bpm should be equal. The only "odd" divisions occur at fractions of the measure. So, at 148bpm, whole note of delay comes to 1622ms. The division beyond that should be simple enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 16 2009, 11:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 16 2009, 09:42 PM) *
@jafo, I love your tone and your take, very dreamy and melodic ! smile.gif

My try :

Attached File  Dreamy_Ballad_Oddtime_Collaboration_NB.mp3 ( 608.6K ) Number of downloads: 205

Attached File  Dreamy_Ballad_Oddtime_Collaboration.mp3 ( 608.6K ) Number of downloads: 227

Ibbie RG270 + POD 2.0 + Ableton + ReCabinet and a bit of EQ.

Nice pentatonic soloing! I like the pauses you make,

Some notes are a little out of tune,

I'll give you more detailed comments on the final mix thread,

QUOTE (Toroso @ Nov 16 2009, 10:09 PM) *
Good takes guys! This odd time is throwing me for a loop. huh.gif

listen to it without playing and imagine something over it, or sing over it, that'd probably help

QUOTE (Neurologi @ Nov 16 2009, 10:22 PM) *
I seem to find it matches same tempo but at 5/4 ... biggrin.gif

Well, that's subjective, to me the eighth note is the hi-hat pulses at the beginning, so those are two bars of 5/8,

So the fourth note would be counted like: 1 - 2 - and, 1 - 2 - and 1 -...etc.

That's actually what the drums are doing,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:22 AM