Please Help Me!
Chris
Aug 27 2007, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi, I'm 15 and I've been playing guitar for a few years now but I'm not as good as one might think. Althought i would say i am quite good at blues and blues rock type playing, I can't shred, tap, artrificial harmonic, or improvise metal soloing to save my life. I think I'm going to work on my tapping and artificial harmonics first....I mean what is the theory behind these.....
So if I was in an A Minor Pentatonic Scale or A Aeolian, how would I associate tapping licks into a solo? Do i work around apregios or do I use the same scale but higher up the fret board with my right hand?
And I just can't do these harmonics to save my life...atm i try holding my pick at the bottom and kind of scrape the string with my fingers and pic....somtimes it works , but I don't know if it's a good way of doing it...
Can any body give guidance, or a link/url to some.....?
Thanks, Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris: Aug 27 2007, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Hungus
Aug 27 2007, 07:44 PM
All I can offer is this link... https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...onics/index.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 27 2007, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Aug 27 2007, 07:44 PM) *

I just watched it, but I still dont really see how to hold the pick.....

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 27 2007, 08:28 PM
Check this out then.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk
Just watch the bit on pick holding a few times and then just experiment till you get it...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Aug 30 2007, 02:22 PM
I think it is suppose to be. A rough estimate but. 3 Cms of the pic showing maybe 2. Im not for sure except on this part. VERY LITTLE.

Just practice going up and down the scales, slowly watching your right hand. Immediatly after picking kinda touch (lightly touch), or rub a bit of your thumb a cross the string right after picking (Rough explanation). You also need to realize. You have to hit your thumb acroos the string in a certain spot. So just practice that and if you watch pavels lesson on the artifical harmonics, then you will be sure to find that sweet spot. I belive there is Octave Harmonics, and 5ths or something if i remember right. But just practice it.

Dont give up hope!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 30 2007, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Aug 30 2007, 08:22 AM) *
I think it is suppose to be. A rough estimate but. 3 Cms of the pic showing maybe 2. Im not for sure except on this part. VERY LITTLE.

Just practice going up and down the scales, slowly watching your right hand. Immediatly after picking kinda touch (lightly touch), or rub a bit of your thumb a cross the string right after picking (Rough explanation). You also need to realize. You have to hit your thumb acroos the string in a certain spot. So just practice that and if you watch pavels lesson on the artifical harmonics, then you will be sure to find that sweet spot. I belive there is Octave Harmonics, and 5ths or something if i remember right. But just practice it.

Dont give up hope!!

he's giving you good advice. also, pickups, and the settings on your equipment are important. some pickups are more harmonic capable than others. you want distortion probably, and if you have an equalizer, boost the high end. on Pavel's lesson, listen to his tone. He set things to get harmonics as easily as possible. Very different than his normal tone that he uses on other lessons.

QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 27 2007, 02:15 PM) *
I just watched it, but I still dont really see how to hold the pick.....

hold it with you thumb and index finger. both should be approximately horizontal to the strings. It may seem uncomfortable at first, but after awhile it gets real comfortable. trust me on that. it also eventually becomes a very secure way to hold a pick, so it stays in place. You expose very little of the tip.

This will take some time, it evolves over time, just stick with it, and you will see. Actually my index finger now points up a bit. The tip of the pick is approximately in line with the first joint of my index finger. It was not like this at first, as I said, it evolves over time, just stick with it and be patient.

You also will probably find yourself exposing less tip of the pick as time goes on

+Quote Post
Ryan
Aug 31 2007, 07:28 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 30 2007, 10:08 AM) *
he's giving you good advice. also, pickups, and the settings on your equipment are important. some pickups are more harmonic capable than others. you want distortion probably, and if you have an equalizer, boost the high end. on Pavel's lesson, listen to his tone. He set things to get harmonics as easily as possible. Very different than his normal tone that he uses on other lessons.
hold it with you thumb and index finger. both should be approximately horizontal to the strings. It may seem uncomfortable at first, but after awhile it gets real comfortable. trust me on that. it also eventually becomes a very secure way to hold a pick, so it stays in place. You expose very little of the tip.

This will take some time, it evolves over time, just stick with it, and you will see. Actually my index finger now points up a bit. The tip of the pick is approximately in line with the first joint of my index finger. It was not like this at first, as I said, it evolves over time, just stick with it and be patient.

You also will probably find yourself exposing less tip of the pick as time goes on

Ahh yes i forgot all about pickups. Sorry, but yeah the best one to start out on is the bridge pickup. Turn yoru gain up, and your treble. When practicngs, they say start on te 6th (atleast thats what some ppl told me), but i would say start o the 3rd, and 4th strings. Those are the easiest for me to pull off.

The motion for harmonics also. In another rough description, also explained by many others as "A digging Motion".

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:15 PM