Ray Toro - My Chemical Romance
placeboeffect
Jan 22 2008, 07:36 AM
GMC:er
I know a lot of people don't like this band, but I'm a big fan of their lead guitarists sound/style. Both on 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" and his Brian May sound on "The Black Parade".

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get his 'style'? I really like the solos on "Three Cheers..." a good example would be on the song "Thank You For The Venom".

Please no negative comments.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
placeboeffect
Feb 6 2008, 10:04 PM
No one??

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Feb 6 2008, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I like his playing quite a bit. Don't know much about him though.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 6 2008, 10:12 PM
sorry, i have only heard the black parade. it's not really my cup o' coffee.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 6 2008, 10:15 PM
His style as write solos like him?

Or just be able to cover him better...

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
placeboeffect
Feb 7 2008, 03:17 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 6 2008, 03:15 PM) *
His style as write solos like him?

Or just be able to cover him better...

I guess both, I've noticed in 'Three Cheers...' that he uses mostly powerchords and octaves for the rhythm and uses major scale quite a bit for solos. If anyone else notices patterns, scales, etc. he uses I'd like to hear.

I'm wondering what kind of theory he uses, what progressions, etc.

I'm trying to learn to play his stuff, I've been playing for about a year. I'd like to know how it is composed.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 10 2008, 06:01 AM
I mean, Best way to learn how it is "composed"

Figure out what chords he was playing over at the time, and what notes he chose and somtimes you can see a pattern, you'll see licks or fingerings that are frequently used.

Remember dont get to involved with the stuff he plays. Have your own style to.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
placeboeffect
Feb 10 2008, 06:54 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 9 2008, 11:01 PM) *
I mean, Best way to learn how it is "composed"

Figure out what chords he was playing over at the time, and what notes he chose and somtimes you can see a pattern, you'll see licks or fingerings that are frequently used.

Remember dont get to involved with the stuff he plays. Have your own style to.

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying to learn the lessons on this site and I think the biggest obstacle now to my playing is applying what I've learned rather than just playing the lessons.

This site has helped me a ton!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:05 PM