Dethklok, Slavenko Approved?
bleez
Sep 23 2013, 09:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ive been getting into a lot heavier music lately and stumbled across one of dethklok's albums and was just curious if they are accepted as a proper band by the general metal listening public?

The stuff I heard was really good but are they proper metal and approved by Slav? ........ I dont want to look foolish listening to false metal and thinking they are a proper metal band cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 23 2013, 09:48 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Headbanger
Sep 23 2013, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 23 2013, 10:46 PM) *
Ive been getting into a lot heavier music lately and stumbled across one of dethklok's albums and was just curious if they are accepted as a proper band by the general metal listening public?

The stuff I heard was really good but are they proper metal and approved by Slav? ........ I dont want to look foolish listening to false metal and thinking they are a proper metal band cool.gif

They sound pretty real to me and with a name like Deathkok...they must be real metal laugh.gif Sound a bit heavier than Julie Andrews! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Sep 23 2013, 10:44 PM
I love Dethklok. This debate has been going on since at least the 60's with the Monkees. Are they or are they not a real band. They're on the radio. They have fans. Then came Spinal Tap. I have two of their albums and they're a parody as well. Are they actors acting like they are in a band or are they a band made of of actors? Either way the music is good. Now it's Dethklok. A band from a cartoon? Well IMHO Brendon Small, Bryan Beller, and the others in the "band" sure do play really effing good. In fact, I'd venture to say they be in my top 5 favorite deathmetal bands. Again I have two of their albums and I think if they have an album, they're a real band.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 23 2013, 11:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Sep 23 2013, 10:10 PM) *
They sound pretty real to me and with a name like Deathkok...they must be real metal laugh.gif Sound a bit heavier than Julie Andrews! cool.gif

maybe a little heavier than jools smile.gif she's more retro!

QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Sep 23 2013, 10:44 PM) *
I love Dethklok. This debate has been going on since at least the 60's with the Monkees. Are they or are they not a real band. They're on the radio. They have fans. Then came Spinal Tap. I have two of their albums and they're a parody as well. Are they actors acting like they are in a band or are they a band made of of actors? Either way the music is good. Now it's Dethklok. A band from a cartoon? Well IMHO Brendon Small, Bryan Beller, and the others in the "band" sure do play really effing good. In fact, I'd venture to say they be in my top 5 favorite deathmetal bands. Again I have two of their albums and I think if they have an album, they're a real band.

interesting, dude. I like that they are in your top 5.
I actually heard them without knowing they were a cartoon blink.gif I just thought were pretty awesome sounding. Although I dont really know all their lyrics but they didnt sound like a parody to me in the way spinal tap do, the musicianship is way too good for a start. Im totally getting their albums!

I can imagine they would generate quite a debate though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Sep 24 2013, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 23 2013, 10:07 PM) *
maybe a little heavier than jools smile.gif she's more retro!

interesting, dude. I like that they are in your top 5.
I actually heard them without knowing they were a cartoon blink.gif I just thought were pretty awesome sounding. Although I dont really know all their lyrics but they didnt sound like a parody to me in the way spinal tap do, the musicianship is way too good for a start. Im totally getting their albums!

I can imagine they would generate quite a debate though.

dude, once you listen to the lyrics, you'll know they're a parody. with song titles such as "bloodrocuted", "face fisted", and "duncan hills coffee jingle", you'll headbang whilst shitting your pants with laughter.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Sep 24 2013, 04:42 AM

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 24 2013, 08:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Sep 24 2013, 04:28 AM) *
dude, once you listen to the lyrics, you'll know they're a parody. with song titles such as "bloodrocuted", "face fisted", and "duncan hills coffee jingle", you'll headbang whilst shitting your pants with laughter.

LOL! 'Bloodrocuted' is possibly one of the best titles Ive ever heard smile.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Sep 24 2013, 04:42 AM) *

HA HA! that was great. I like that guy. Its funny coz I watched a similar vid with abbath from Immortal and out of the two I would say Abbath's felt like more of a parody biggrin.gif

..... kinda wish I was cartoon guitarist now!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2013, 11:02 PM
It's really the one guy writing all the bits in the style of the fictitious band in the Cartoon. The characters in the cartoon are soooo FREAKING METAL that it's hard not to like the music smile.gif They actually tour as a real band and they do kick butt live!! Personally, I dig the cartoon show and I dig the music smile.gif It is done a bit tongue in cheek, so some folks think it's making fun of Metal and Metal fans, but I don't see it that way.

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 23 2013, 04:46 PM) *

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 25 2013, 09:35 AM
I 've never listened much to them, except as in cartoon. Music is good, but lyrics are just way too comedy to be taken by some true metal fans seriously. If the music is heavy ,aggresive and deep than the lyrics would also be in following mood smile.gif
If somebody's into melodic death metal, than he should check more of Swedish Death metal scene of 90's.

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Sep 23 2013, 11:10 PM) *

Yeah, that name would sound more appropriate laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 25 2013, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 25 2013, 12:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 25 2013, 09:35 AM) *
I 've never listened much to them, except as in cartoon. Music is good, but lyrics are just way too comedy to be taken by some true metal fans seriously. If the music is heavy ,aggresive and deep than the lyrics would also be in following mood smile.gif
If somebody's into melodic death metal, than he should check more of Swedish Death metal scene of 90's.

yeah, I started reading the lyrics and realized why some people might not take them too serious biggrin.gif I still ordered their albums though, I really like them!
Funny you mention the Swedish death metal scene, that's mostly what Ive been listening to lately. Arch enemy, Amon amarth. Some amazing music from Swedish bands, also the early norwegian black metal stuff, some of those bands are really good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 25 2013, 01:15 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 25 2013, 01:59 PM) *
Funny you mention the Swedish death metal scene, that's mostly what Ive been listening to lately. Arch enemy, Amon amarth. Some amazing music from Swedish bands, also the early norwegian black metal stuff, some of those bands are really good.

Because Deathkok try sound like swedish metal scene (roughly said) cool.gif Try to Listen to some At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul, dark tranquility, In flames..

Here's a good preview of the scene

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2013, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 25 2013, 09:15 AM) *
Because Deathkok try sound like swedish metal scene (roughly said) cool.gif Try to Listen to some At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul, dark tranquility, In flames..

Here's a good preview of the scene

That'´s a great list! Swedish Death/Black Metal style is a great idea for lesson series.. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 25 2013, 07:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks Slav, some cool bands there. Ive been listening to Opeth quite a lot but I didnt know about Bloodbath and their earlier stuff with Mikael smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 3 2013, 09:08 AM
Since you like Detahkok , i forgot to give you this, almost forgot about this band , they're absolutely killer , musicianship's a lot bette than in a Klok

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Oct 3 2013, 09:10 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 3 2013, 12:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 3 2013, 09:08 AM) *
Since you like Detahkok , i forgot to give you this, almost forgot about this band , they're absolutely killer , musicianship's a lot bette than in a Klok

Most brutal indeed cool.gif I'd heard of cannibal corpse but not these guys. Thanks mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:51 AM