2 Pages V   1 2 >  
This Is What We Called Shredding ...
Darius Wave
Jul 10 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Randomly found the old video from Francesco Fareri. I had some cool conversations with this guy about 14 years ago while most of people in Poland had no internet and we were meeting at INTERNET CAFE'S smile.gif (Though those were better times...people didn't hide bhinde the screens at home smile.gif

This is what we called Shredding back then. I mean absolutely insane, no melody, speed and ordinary playing. It wasn't inspiring for us but It was a very clear distancer between skilled players like Gilbert and Malmsteen who can play fast. Most of guitar guru from the 80's were killer players but also cool musicians and what they did was still music.

What we called Shredding was something on the absolute edge and with absolutely different target and concpets of playing more like machine than creating music.

Now...people overuse this term calling shredder most of the well know players who are able to play fast. Not much of them care anymore for that old border between fast virtuosity and insanity od shred.

When I was 16 we didn't call guys like Malmsteen shredders. Now...it's all messed up smile.gif))

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2013, 02:58 PM
Instructor
This is an argentinean guitarist that is exactly what you mean by Shred, I think...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 10 2013, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Yep Gabriel...this is sort of...biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jul 10 2013, 03:34 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 10 2013, 04:09 PM
GMC:er
Shreding saved my life when I was a teenager; it really tamed me not to use too much alcohol, using drugs, get anyone gregnant, throwing cars off the roof... biggrin.gif

Instead I learned to play an instrument which I make a living nowadays. Long live SHRED!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2013, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 10 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Shreding saved my life when I was a teenager; it really tamed me not to use too much alcohol, using drugs, get anyone gregnant, throwing cars off the roof... biggrin.gif

Instead I learned to play an instrument which I make a living nowadays. Long live SHRED!!! smile.gif

So Shred or Guitar Speed became your addition... interesting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 10 2013, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 10 2013, 05:09 PM) *

What's wrong with getting somebody pregnant while using too much alcoholy? rolleyes.gif

So you made your guitar pregnant while playing insanely fast?

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jul 10 2013, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 10 2013, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 10 2013, 03:43 PM) *
What's wrong with getting somebody pregnant while using too much alcoholy? rolleyes.gif

So you made your guitar pregnant while playing insanely fast?

eheh actually the cheap-ish ibanez trs tremolo melted where I rest my sweaty hand after playing 3 years so I changed the guitar smile.gif

To be honest I wasn't exactly the most parent-friendly kid at the time smile.gif I guess everybody learns to balance/channel such energy to a positive route different so they grow-up to become a better man/woman.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 10 2013, 07:24 PM
Instructor
Good point Mertay! Guitar took us away from some bad things that happen to teenagers. Of course some of them didn't miss me but I feel like my childhood wasn't wasted smile.gif Thee just came a time I prefered to saty home and make some progress than just go play fotball...which I also liked a lot smile.gif

I loved to close the door and practice things like this (my simple composition and not enough precise but...that's what I did back then)

https://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/neverland-2000-old-stuff-from

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2013, 07:31 AM
Instructor
smile.gif I remember when I learned the tapping part from the solo in Metallica's 'One' - It was somewhere in 1999 I think.... I was so happy, I jumped in my mom and dad's bedroom. It was evening and they were going to bed, so I scared the ^^%*&^&% out of them, just because I went in there with my guitar and little combo to show them that part of the solo. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 11 2013, 08:05 AM
Instructor
Our Parents needed tons of patience smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 11 2013, 11:58 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 10 2013, 02:54 PM) *

I saw that video Darius, About ten years ago, i think in 2003, i was in the mood like - is he... with himself?
I coudln't notice any sense in his playing - except that he's playing nonsense on 350 bpm.
I'm still amused by how he managed to become popular with it? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 11 2013, 12:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 11 2013, 10:58 AM) *
I saw that video Darius, About ten years ago, i think in 2003, i was in the mood like - is he... with himself?
I coudln't notice any sense in his playing - except that he's playing nonsense on 350 bpm.

Slav...I think he is not popular...and yeah...i think That playing nonsense was a sense of the term "shredding". We used to say "shredding" instead of "playing" when someone did things like that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 11 2013, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 11 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Slav...I think he is not popular...and yeah...i think That playing nonsense was a sense of the term "shredding". We used to say "shredding" instead of "playing" when someone did things like that biggrin.gif

I didn't mean really "popular", but suddenly everybody knows about Fareri. Vitaliy Kuprij , Jeff Loomis, Bob Katsionis and other mainstream guys are guest musicians on his solo albums

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2013, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 11 2013, 11:54 AM) *
I didn't mean really "popular", but suddenly everybody knows about Fareri. Vitaliy Kuprij , Jeff Loomis, Bob Katsionis and other mainstream guys are guest musicians on his solo albums

yeah, you mean popular in the shred world.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2013, 09:12 AM
Instructor
Honestly, I can't listen to non musical stuff for a few years now... I'd rather listen to something less technical, but it has to be musical, first and foremost tongue.gif

For me, this dude here is a good example of what I like hearing in a 'shredder' approach:

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 12 2013, 02:02 PM
Instructor
If this would be a matterof my decission I would keep term "shredding" for non musical insane playing. I will then call awesome and skilled players who make music virtuosos... I wouldn't blend those two like it happens now

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 12 2013, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 12 2013, 03:02 PM) *
If this would be a matterof my decission I would keep term "shredding" for non musical insane playing. I will then call awesome and skilled players who make music virtuosos... I wouldn't blend those two like it happens now

Okay, but like in every business branch, there are good , and bad "shredders" smile.gif

In my opinion Rusty Cooley is in same level as Francesco, but he gained more popularity since he lives in America, he's more in the media and he got some endorsement deals which raised him up...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 01:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 12 2013, 05:12 AM) *
Honestly, I can't listen to non musical stuff for a few years now... I'd rather listen to something less technical, but it has to be musical, first and foremost tongue.gif

For me, this dude here is a good example of what I like hearing in a 'shredder' approach:

I love the music that composes this guy.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2013, 02:31 AM
Is this guy a popular player in Europe? I"ve not actually heard of him before but he's got a very Rusty Cooley vibe. Rusy is the all time master of the "Mario Kart" licks that sound almost like an 8 bit video game. Not incredibly musical by any stretch. Almost a curiosity. I've heard him play in a musical way but only in short bursts. smile.gif

As was mentioned, he's popular in the "Shred" community but I don't think much further than that?

Here is a great example of Rusty going MARIO KART KRAZY!!!!

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 11 2013, 06:58 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 13 2013, 02:35 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 14 2013, 09:05 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 10 2013, 12:54 PM) *

Randomly found the old video from Francesco Fareri. I had some cool conversations with this guy about 14 years ago while most of people in Poland had no internet and we were meeting at INTERNET CAFE'S smile.gif (Though those were better times...people didn't hide bhinde the screens at home smile.gif

I was into this new guitar shredding scene around that time. I was blown away buy some of this "extreme shredding" when I first discovered it. I can't remember the forum name, but there was a small community dedicated to full blown shredding. smile.gif Fareri, Rusty Cooley, Tom Hess, and bunch more guitarists had there own boards and would answer everyones questions... Good times. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:38 PM