My Avenged 7fold Nightmare, Guitar Cover
Jeroen
Mar 19 2014, 11:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
A few months ago I recorded my take on Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold. Recorded in front of a chroma key green screen for nice editing effects. smile.gif

Any comments? Tips to improve this take?

Hope to here from you GMC'ers.

Rock on! Jeroen

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 20 2014, 12:14 AM
It's a good try that's for sure but I'll give a little constructive criticism.

Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengence use tight riffs coupled with pretty precise vibrate. Some of your riffs just didn't seem tight and while you may be playing the right notes the attack is the key.

Vibrato was a little off as their are times were they don't use vibrato but actually bend the note and I wasn't seeing that.

Timing was another key issue I noticed. All in all though it was a nice take. Maybe practice it a little more and rerecord it. Also, you're editing is pretty killer man.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2014, 09:56 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! This is a killer cover and editing job you did here! Kudos to you!

I would only try to become more conscious of the little timing issues sprinkled here and there, as Trey also observed. Otherwise the articulation elements such as vibrato and bending should be smoother. I am not a fan of the band and it's obvious that Trey for instance, knows the song well so follow his advice on the details of the style!

Keep rocking!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 20 2014, 10:07 AM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 20 2014, 12:14 AM) *
It's a good try that's for sure but I'll give a little constructive criticism.

Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengence use tight riffs coupled with pretty precise vibrate. Some of your riffs just didn't seem tight and while you may be playing the right notes the attack is the key.

Vibrato was a little off as their are times were they don't use vibrato but actually bend the note and I wasn't seeing that.

Timing was another key issue I noticed. All in all though it was a nice take. Maybe practice it a little more and rerecord it. Also, you're editing is pretty killer man.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 20 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Hey mate! This is a killer cover and editing job you did here! Kudos to you!

I would only try to become more conscious of the little timing issues sprinkled here and there, as Trey also observed. Otherwise the articulation elements such as vibrato and bending should be smoother. I am not a fan of the band and it's obvious that Trey for instance, knows the song well so follow his advice on the details of the style!

Keep rocking!

Cosmin

Thanks Trey, I will work on it. Timing is one of my main challenges. Editing is something I really like, although I sometimes get a little carried away with it spending lamost more time editing than I am practicing guitar playing!!! hahaha. dry.gif

Thanks for the compliment Cosmin. You know, making music is very important to me. It's a way to express my creativity and a good way to relax after a hard days work.

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 20 2014, 10:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2014, 02:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Jeroen! Let me say that the production of this video is great! I like how you doubled yourself for the sections that include 2 guitars and the addition of artwork. It looks very cool.

Your playing is close, but as the other guys said, it needs more work to be polished. Some riffs needs to be tight and the solos also has timing issues because you are not reaching the speed of the faster parts.

Let me say that the song election is also great! I find this song very interesting and it really transmits me. I remember that I went to see them live, but I was around 4 songs late, so I missed Nightmare, my favorite with Afterlife.. mad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 20 2014, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Hi Jeroen! Let me say that the production of this video is great! I like how you doubled yourself for the sections that include 2 guitars and the addition of artwork. It looks very cool.

Your playing is close, but as the other guys said, it needs more work to be polished. Some riffs needs to be tight and the solos also has timing issues because you are not reaching the speed of the faster parts.

Let me say that the song election is also great! I find this song very interesting and it really transmits me. I remember that I went to see them live, but I was around 4 songs late, so I missed Nightmare, my favorite with Afterlife.. mad.gif

Thanks Gabriel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renan
Mar 20 2014, 04:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi man ! Nice cover smile.gif
I always think that this songs intro sounds like :

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 21 2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Renan @ Mar 20 2014, 03:27 PM) *
Hi man ! Nice cover smile.gif
I always think that this songs intro sounds like :

Hey Renan smile.gif I think you posted a link but somehow it's not visible - can you re-post please?

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 20 2014, 09:07 AM) *
Thanks Trey, I will work on it. Timing is one of my main challenges. Editing is something I really like, although I sometimes get a little carried away with it spending lamost more time editing than I am practicing guitar playing!!! hahaha. dry.gif

Thanks for the compliment Cosmin. You know, making music is very important to me. It's a way to express my creativity and a good way to relax after a hard days work.

Nothing to it, man wink.gif Well, it's a good thing that you have music in your life smile.gif You are already a rich man! Keep atit and it will get better and better in time!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 21 2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor
In deed great production. Had to be time taking wink.gif You were so focused on playing that You didn't notice something is on fire in the kitchen biggrin.gif That'a where is this smoke from tongue.gif

No serious. Something needs some work - this might not necessary be Your hands. Tru to mess with the tone. Your palm muted parts are like a chewing gum...a bit too muddy. The ton should be crisp and with short sustain - very precussive. In this recording i miss this a bit.

Anyway...nice job over this song! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 22 2014, 03:20 PM
Instructor
A great way to tighten up those riffs would be to make sure you can play them perfectly at slow speed against a metronome and then use a speed reducing software such as the Amazing Slowdowner, in order to slow down the original track and play with the guys in the actual recording. The tighter you are with them, the better you will become on the backing track wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 23 2014, 08:29 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 21 2014, 01:12 PM) *
In deed great production. Had to be time taking wink.gif You were so focused on playing that You didn't notice something is on fire in the kitchen biggrin.gif That'a where is this smoke from tongue.gif

No serious. Something needs some work - this might not necessary be Your hands. Tru to mess with the tone. Your palm muted parts are like a chewing gum...a bit too muddy. The ton should be crisp and with short sustain - very precussive. In this recording i miss this a bit.

Anyway...nice job over this song! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 22 2014, 03:20 PM) *
A great way to tighten up those riffs would be to make sure you can play them perfectly at slow speed against a metronome and then use a speed reducing software such as the Amazing Slowdowner, in order to slow down the original track and play with the guys in the actual recording. The tighter you are with them, the better you will become on the backing track wink.gif

Chewing gum... Hahahaha biggrin.gif

Amazing Slowdowner is worth trying I guess. I also once heard that playing it actually faster than the original can also help. After that it feels like it's easier to play. I have never tried that though. Do you have experience with that?

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 23 2014, 08:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renan
Mar 23 2014, 08:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 21 2014, 08:57 AM) *
Hey Renan smile.gif I think you posted a link but somehow it's not visible - can you re-post please?

Yeah you're right. smile.gif
Here it is :

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 23 2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 23 2014, 07:29 AM) *
Chewing gum... Hahahaha biggrin.gif

Amazing Slowdowner is worth trying I guess. I also once heard that playing it actually faster than the original can also help. After that it feels like it's easier to play. I have never tried that though. Do you have experience with that?

Sometimes yes, but sometimes speed is not the answer smile.gif You don't necessarily need to play something faster, but in this situation, you need tightness, timing and form smile.gif Slowing down so your brain can actually have enough time to perceive and then perform these things at the highest level possible is the key here smile.gif That little software is GOLDEN biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 23 2014, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 23 2014, 09:25 AM) *
Slowing down so your brain can actually have enough time to perceive and then perform these things at the highest level possible is the key here smile.gif That little software is GOLDEN biggrin.gif

Thanks Cosmin. I'll give it a shot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 24 2014, 02:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
I love amazing slow downer program. It seems to keep the pitch the best and it can move up or down the whole song in semitones so you won't need to tune your guitar differently. Even though I have only covered a few songs doing with the program has made me catch little nuances you otherwise speed past. It's only till you learn it slowly can you hear it a full speed. You can tell if the note is bent, slid, hammered on, tapped ect. It's a fun game. Tablature alone is stale, accents and feeling are the missing ingredients you'll find in the music.

Nice Video btw!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 24 2014, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Mar 24 2014, 01:25 AM) *
I love amazing slow downer program. It seems to keep the pitch the best and it can move up or down the whole song in semitones so you won't need to tune your guitar differently. Even though I have only covered a few songs doing with the program has made me catch little nuances you otherwise speed past. It's only till you learn it slowly can you hear it a full speed. You can tell if the note is bent, slid, hammered on, tapped ect. It's a fun game. Tablature alone is stale, accents and feeling are the missing ingredients you'll find in the music.

Nice Video btw!

Thank you for the little experience review Jim smile.gif It has indeed changed my life as well and I am recommending it to anyone who wants to get more from their practice regimen! Definitely the tool to work with when you want to sort out something by ear!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 2 2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll check it out

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Mar 24 2014, 03:25 AM) *

Nice Video btw!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2014, 11:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 2 2014, 08:47 PM) *
Thanks Jim. I'll check it out

Let us know how it goes, once you get it wink.gif You know, once you have it, it would be great to start using to train your ears - try sorting out songs which seemed difficult, but slow them down and you will be able to hear all the fast played notes smile.gif I sorted out a lot of Pantera solos like that, for instance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:37 PM