2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Why Even The Most Basic Of Theory Is Important
Jenbu
Sep 6 2009, 08:26 PM
GMC:er
hehe tongue.gif I just started on a new band and there the say all those different notes but I didn't understand a thing huh.gif
but luckily I understand much now biggrin.gif (atleast the notes)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 6 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well, some people just don't want to learn theory because they think this will prevent them from being creative. They don't want to sound like everybody... Bah...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 6 2009, 10:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Sep 6 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Well, some people just don't want to learn theory because they think this will prevent them from being creative. They don't want to sound like everybody... Bah...

It always gets me the chills when I hear people say things like that, and the worst part they are confident 100% that they are right. After some time, they find out the terrible truth smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 6 2009, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 6 2009, 02:32 PM) *
It always gets me the chills when I hear people say things like that, and the worst part they are confident 100% that they are right. After some time, they find out the terrible truth smile.gif

what? that the minor pentatonic scale isnt the only scale in guitar? SAY IT ISNT SO IVAN!!!!!!!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 6 2009, 11:28 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Sep 6 2009, 10:57 PM) *

Truth is though, there's actually some people that get to hung up in what they "know" is right that it prevents them from being as creative as they could be.. I've seen it many times with musicians from local music schools smile.gif
That's why I always recommend to practice songs and songwriting and/or just play for fun as well as practicing theory and guitar knowledge so that you don't get stuck in your creativity.

I've even had some peple telling me that some of my songs are "wrong" because I'm not using the "right" progression of notes/chords etc., and even though it sounds good they still believe it's wrong.
Stuff like this really makes me laugh biggrin.gif

But of course this is a select few, but it does indeed happen smile.gif

I'm learning some theory bit by bit, but I've got no intention of learning everything as I really don't need it.
I'm not going to be a guitar virtuoso, but hopefully I'll be a great songwriter smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 7 2009, 12:54 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 6 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Truth is though, there's actually some people that get to hung up in what they "know" is right that it prevents them from being as creative as they could be.. I've seen it many times with musicians from local music schools smile.gif
That's why I always recommend to practice songs and songwriting and/or just play for fun as well as practicing theory and guitar knowledge so that you don't get stuck in your creativity.

I've even had some peple telling me that some of my songs are "wrong" because I'm not using the "right" progression of notes/chords etc., and even though it sounds good they still believe it's wrong.
Stuff like this really makes me laugh biggrin.gif

But of course this is a select few, but it does indeed happen smile.gif

I'm learning some theory bit by bit, but I've got no intention of learning everything as I really don't need it.
I'm not going to be a guitar virtuoso, but hopefully I'll be a great songwriter smile.gif

Thats kind of at the road I am at.

When I first starting playing I wanted to play like all the greats, you name it. ( And I still would love to be at that level)

But as time when I figured. There is always someone faster then someone else, also someone that does something else a little bit better. And often times that one pretty good shredder, is forgotten.

But a great song, that is something that will always be remembered.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 7 2009, 04:47 PM
what do you mean didnt know the note? of course i knew the note....theory has nothing to do with hearing notes by ear, thats a completely different technique btw.

I knew what he was doing, but since that was one of the only progressions he knew, how was the jam supposed to be anywhere near beneficial?

i did tell him, but when someone claims to be "good" you would think they could do more than just play a single chord progression.

my point is with out theory in music, you really limit yourself. he at least had good strumming technique and chord fingering, but since he didnt know what he was playing, he couldnt add other chords, he couldnt go anywhere out side what he was playing...its limiting him and me. im not trying to sound arrogant, im just trying to tell a funny story.

basic theory is important for ANY and ALL guitarists, there is no argument there...if you are going to call yourself a musician, let alone a good musician, you cant take short cuts.

when i mean basic, i mean knowing what major and minor is, know at least 1 scale, and knowing what the notes are

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Sep 7 2009, 04:48 PM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 7 2009, 09:47 PM
Last time I jammed, I jammed on D... and that's the only note I used. wink.gif

Obviously, we didn't jam for long. But still, you can jam knowing one note if you can put some rhythm and variation on it, why not(e) ? Putting variations probably means to know a bit of theory though. smile.gif

I've learned some theory and I'm currently enjoying playing with that much of it. Perhaps in a few weeks or months I will feel like I need some more theory to complete my music vocabulary. But the very basic is essential from my point of view.

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2009, 10:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 7 2009, 12:05 AM) *
what? that the minor pentatonic scale isnt the only scale in guitar? SAY IT ISNT SO IVAN!!!!!!!

I'm afraid it isn't sad.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 7 2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor
Wait a sec..
You mean 5 is D? But 3, that's still a chord, right?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 8 2009, 04:14 AM
what about 42?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 8 2009, 11:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 7 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Wait a sec..
You mean 5 is D? But 3, that's still a chord, right?

I guess 3 would be C hahaha smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 8 2009, 11:44 AM
That would be funny. One who count his note from the first string to the last with 22 frets. That would be, A is 5 on 1st string and 22 and 51...

Not sure how he's going to do the day he buys a 24 frets guitar though. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 8 2009, 11:51 AM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 8 2009, 04:14 AM) *
what about 42?

No sorry, 42 is the meaning of life

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 8 2009, 03:35 PM
So true ! The meaning of life, the universe and everything. The answer we are all looking for. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Sep 18 2009, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Sep 7 2009, 03:47 PM) *
Last time I jammed, I jammed on D... and that's the only note I used. wink.gif

I think you mean 5

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 18 2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor
This thread is getting complicated and confusing!
My theory is all wrong!!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 18 2009, 08:25 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Finally someone is speaking my language laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:23 PM