writing a solo
Matt_Herd
Nov 5 2006, 04:19 PM
GMC:er
Where would you start when writing your own solo? and or song.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2006, 07:58 AM
GMC Founder
I always start by sitting down (might occasionally have done it standing - not sure wink.gif ) - and try to hear something in my head (besides the everlasting call for chocolate).

Hopefully I will hear some melody in my head - if it's a solo I'll just try to play it on the guitar. Very seldomly does the actual solo end up the way I have first heard it in my head. But that's not the point either - by doing this kind of mental composition I get away from writing with my hands. Your hands tend to write exercises, while your head writes music!

Also, I believe the rhythm of a melody is equally as important as the notes - even if the melody I first heard in my head didn't survive , the rhtyhm usually does.

--Kris biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
xhernan
Nov 8 2006, 10:19 PM
GMC:er
I try singing or humming something first that would sound cool over my chord progression and then from there i pick out the notes individually. Helps me get a voice out of my guitar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:32 AM