Engl Powerball Vs Hughes&kettner Switchblade 100w, which one is better ?
knax2
Apr 15 2009, 05:32 AM
GMC:er
hello

i decided a few days ago to buy Engl powerball but i heard about Hughes&Kettner Switchblade 100W head.

someone can tell me the real difference between each ?

thanks for your help

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
MickeM
Apr 15 2009, 09:00 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't think any is "better", only different.

I have a Switchblade and I'm very happy with it. It has everything from cleanest clean up to more gain that I'd ever need.

The powerball has a built in noise gate which is needed for the hi-gain settings, for the switchblade you need to use an external pedal for that.
The Switchblade has built in effects, Tremolo - Chorus - Flanger, delay, and a reverb. The Powerball has no built in effects, except for reverb.

They use different tubes. Powerball has 6L6 tubes which helps it get that ENGL lowend "thump", the Switchblade has EL34 tubes which have another sound to them, one which I prefer being a Marshall:ist in my foundation wink.gif
Anyway, what's funny about the switchblade is that you can get it to sound like a Fender, Marshall, vintage and all the way up to a modern Mesa like hi-gain sound. But it won't sound alike a Powerball.

That why I suggest you start with wondering about what sound you really are looking for.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 15 2009, 09:10 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 15 2009, 10:00 AM) *
I don't think any is "better", only different.

I have a Switchblade and I'm very happy with it. It has everything from cleanest clean up to more gain that I'd ever need.

The powerball has a built in noise gate which is needed for the hi-gain settings, for the switchblade you need to use an external pedal for that.
The Switchblade has built in effects, Tremolo - Chorus - Flanger, delay, and a reverb. The Powerball has no built in effects, expect for reverb.

They use different tubes. Powerball has 6L6 tubes which helps it get that ENGL lowend "thump", the Switchblade has EL34 tubes which have another sound to them, one which I prefer being a Marshall:ist in my foundation wink.gif
Anyway, what's funny about the switchblade is that you can get it to sound like a Fender, Marshall, vintage and all the way up to a modern Mesa like hi-gain sound. But it won't sound alike a Powerball.

That why I suggest you start with wondering about what sound you really are looking for.

Well said smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 15 2009, 10:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 15 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Well said smile.gif

Indeed, can't think of something else. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 15 2009, 08:21 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Absolutely true, you have to know what kind of sound you want from your amp, and then pick one wink.gif I personally would go for the Engl, I definitely prefer 6L6 tubes over EL34, but this is a matter of taste, and your taste might be completely different wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Shime
Apr 12 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi guys, I'm picking up this thread again because I'm dreaming about future purchases and comparing the switchblade with the powerball.

Doesn't the Switchblade have 6L6G applicables as well (It says so in the specs; it even says you can mix EL34s and 6L6s). Has any of you tried 6L6s in the Switchblade, and how does it affect the sound? Shouldn't that get it closer to sounding like a Powerball?

Shime

+Quote Post
shatterd
Apr 12 2010, 10:22 PM
If you want the Switchblade to sound like a Powerball, then maybe it is the Powerball you really want. The Switchblade is more versatile, has studio quality effects. The crunch channel on the Switchblade has a Marshall flavor to it, but the Ultra and lead channels lean towards Mesa.....at least to my ears. It's a very modern sounding amp.

This kid is playing a H&K Switchblade in this video so you can get a sense of the tone of the amp....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKP35_pM6w

He's not using any external effects, if he's using any, it's the effects in the amp...which are very good. But you can hear the hi gain is very modern sounding...almost like a Mesa but just a little creamier.

I have the Switchblade 50 combo and I think it is amazing, but I'm sure the Engle is also!! I hear the H&K cabs are incredible also.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Shime
Apr 13 2010, 09:18 AM
Nice sound!

It's not that I would want to make an Engl out of a Switchblade, I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing 6L6 tubes in the Switchblade and how it influences the sound.

Shime

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 13 2010, 09:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Shime @ Apr 12 2010, 10:37 PM) *
Doesn't the Switchblade have 6L6G applicables as well

Yeah, that's the new Switchblade which is a bit more innovative on the tube side. I've got the old/first model which is EL34 only.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 13 2010, 07:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you should test both amps to see which one you prefer. Its all about the sound you want and both amps are great and have their unique sound. Try to find a store that has both - then you can compare them A/B. Take your time with this, you should be able to feel which one you like better easily after nice tryout.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:04 PM