2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Out Of Tune, Staying in tune
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 05:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi all biggrin.gif I have a Schecter Damien FR series guitar with the Floyd Rose special whammy bar. I find that my guitar goes out of tune when bending lots especially the G string my understanding is that is a common problem. Any suggestions on how to fix that or should I just go to a guitar tech and have it fixed? Thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
May 31 2013, 06:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Easiest solution...get a wound G string.

The normal way: pfff....I could talk here for ours...pros and cons...

Some people, like me, consider to tune the G string a little be flat...it helps with bending and intonation...if you didn't choose a wounded string.

You also check your nut, maybe....who knows, it's not slipping well. But this would be absurd on your floyd rose, bcause it doesn't matter one least bit.

Check for more resources online and live with the limitations of the guitar...or just talk with the luthier at the guitar shop.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 06:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (korblitz @ May 31 2013, 05:25 PM) *
Easiest solution...get a wound G string.

The normal way: pfff....I could talk here for ours...pros and cons...

Some people, like me, consider to tune the G string a little be flat...it helps with bending and intonation...if you didn't choose a wounded string.

You also check your nut, maybe....who knows, it's not slipping well. But this would be absurd on your floyd rose, bcause it doesn't matter one least bit.

Check for more resources online and live with the limitations of the guitar...or just talk with the luthier at the guitar shop.

Thank you Korblitz will look into it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
May 31 2013, 07:15 PM
GMC:er
How do you put on your strings? Do you stretch them good before locking everything down.

I will try to find a really good video on string installation that helped me.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 07:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Britishampfan @ May 31 2013, 06:15 PM) *
How do you put on your strings? Do you stretch them good before locking everything down.

I will try to find a really good video on string installation that helped me.

Honestly I just get a tech to put them on, I get free strings and they change them for me every 3 months. I forgot how to change string when you have a Floyd rose a bit of a hassle from what I remember I really should learn again. Thank you

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
May 31 2013, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ May 31 2013, 06:39 PM) *
Honestly I just get a tech to put them on, I get free strings and they change them for me every 3 months. I forgot how to change string when you have a Floyd rose a bit of a hassle from what I remember I really should learn again. Thank you

Dude this is what I do, better sound and tuning ever since.

+Quote Post
bleez
May 31 2013, 08:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Britishampfan @ May 31 2013, 07:46 PM) *
Dude this is what I do, better sound and tuning ever since.

cool video. Ive never seen that with the '3 fingers / sharp bend' thing before. Im gonna try that next time.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 09:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bleez @ May 31 2013, 07:06 PM) *
cool video. Ive never seen that with the '3 fingers / sharp bend' thing before. Im gonna try that next time.

That was a great video and damn didn't realise I had to change strings that often what a dumb ass I am tongue.gif . I have to learn how to change strings again with a Floyd rose, I know it involves cutting the end of the strings and some adjustment on the whammy bar as well. Thank you for all the help.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
May 31 2013, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ May 31 2013, 08:27 PM) *
That was a great video and damn didn't realise I had to change strings that often what a dumb ass I am tongue.gif . I have to learn how to change strings again with a Floyd rose, I know it involves cutting the end of the strings and some adjustment on the whammy bar as well. Thank you for all the help.

I find that most tremolo`s work really well and stay in tune, With a properly set up locking nut and tremolo you should be able to beat that guitar and stay in tune, that`s why I asked.

Ok if you use the same principals of the video, and I play an 8 string Ibanez double locker myself, it should work as well.

I have to cut the ball ends off, I lube lightly the bridge parts, lock down the strings on the bridge, loosen the locking nut, No lube there on a nut locker.

I slip the strings through the nut lock and land strings as described on the video, I stretch the strings while looking at my tuner until they stay in tune, all the strings, then I lock the nut.

As my first guitar teacher said to me- "You really need to learn how to do this stuff yourself to get it right." (He was right) and saved me money, thus started my journey on setting up and maintaining my guitars. it`s not hard just more learning.

Good luck

This post has been edited by Britishampfan: May 31 2013, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2013, 09:56 PM
Instructor
As it has been commented here, changing strings at least once a month, and stretching well every string are keys to be keep the tune when you are using floyd rose. Experiment with it and if you still have issues, bring the guitar to a professional who will surely find the reason why your guitar doesn't keep on tune.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
guitarsennin
May 31 2013, 10:13 PM
My tip is restring your guitar yourself. I know it's a hassle, but you're not helping yourself by having someone else do it, right? and if you're not gigging, you don't necessarily need to change your strings as often as people recommend, especially if you're on a low budget. Like, if you're just practicing, etc, it's not that bad if the guitar goes slightly out of tune (slightly) due to old strings. When I was in a band I used to change strings every two weeks, but now that I'm in between bands and just working on my craft, it's like every month, maybe even every two months XD.

when I string my guitar, I tune up, then pull the strings by hand, going up the neck as I do it, and then if it goes out of tune, I tune it back to standard. I keep doing this until it doesn't go out of tune anymore. Do it for each string.

You might also want to check out a channel on youtube, it's this guy. He has quite a few videos on keeping guitars in tune, changing strings, etc. His tips worked for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9-Y0R9A

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 10:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you again for all the help, will look up videos on YouTube. I play everyday minimum a 1.5 hrs only sometimes with band. The guitar is a Scheter Damien FR series oddly enough never goes out of tune when I hit the whammy bar, I can do it all day and it stays in tune but as soon as I bend that's when It starts to go out. You are right its best just to learn it myself and plan too, Thanks for all the advice biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2013, 10:44 PM
This is a common issue so don't worry too much smile.gif New strings need to be worked in to tune and it takes a day or few in some cases. Bend, whammy, retune, repeat.

Once your strings are stretched, LOCK THE LOCK NUTS!!!! smile.gif

If it drifts after that, you need to take it to a local guitar shop for them to take a look.

Todd

QUOTE (Hajduk @ May 31 2013, 05:37 PM) *
Thank you again for all the help, will look up videos on YouTube. I play everyday minimum a 1.5 hrs only sometimes with band. The guitar is a Scheter Damien FR series oddly enough never goes out of tune when I hit the whammy bar, I can do it all day and it stays in tune but as soon as I bend that's when It starts to go out. You are right its best just to learn it myself and plan too, Thanks for all the advice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
May 31 2013, 10:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 31 2013, 09:44 PM) *
This is a common issue so don't worry too much smile.gif New strings need to be worked in to tune and it takes a day or few in some cases. Bend, whammy, retune, repeat.

Once your strings are stretched, LOCK THE LOCK NUTS!!!! smile.gif

If it drifts after that, you need to take it to a local guitar shop for them to take a look.

Todd

Thank you again, damn this forum rocks, so helpful biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 1 2013, 02:48 AM
He didn't mention it but you'll notice that when he was pulling on the strings to stretch them - he fretted a note either at the 1st, 2nd or 3rd fret. That's so he didn't crack the nut when he yanked the string hard side to side. It can happen - I've done it.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 1 2013, 11:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Do you guys still wrap the strings around the tuning pegs at least a couple time with locking tuners? I have been thinking it will help with strings slipping, I find my g string goes flat with a lot of bending so I started winding it 2-3 times around seemed to solve the problem.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 1 2013, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 1 2013, 03:48 AM) *
He didn't mention it but you'll notice that when he was pulling on the strings to stretch them - he fretted a note either at the 1st, 2nd or 3rd fret. That's so he didn't crack the nut when he yanked the string hard side to side. It can happen - I've done it.

Thanks for pointing that out...I never fret while I pull..I will Now. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 1 2013, 12:59 PM) *
Do you guys still wrap the strings around the tuning pegs at least a couple time with locking tuners? I have been thinking it will help with strings slipping, I find my g string goes flat with a lot of bending so I started winding it 2-3 times around seemed to solve the problem.

Good idea...I have G problems..I might try that as both my guitars have either grovers or sperzels.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2013, 12:45 PM
Instructor
I guess that all the important stuff has been mentioned wink.gif

Now, since I only play my Floyd guitar on Thursdays at the video chat sessions, I don't re-string it that often, but usually, I pull on the strings a lot to stretch them and then abuse bends and all sorts to get the strings settled in. It always worked for me and usually, I do the same routine for the tremolo I have on the Paul Allender.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 1 2013, 03:11 PM
Also, unless you completely abuse the trem bar (locking style or otherwise) or sweat like crazy and/or play hard 6 hours a day everyday(?). Or, you need/prefer the bright tone of new strings(?) ... you don't really need to change your strings every week or two.
Every tech - and I've had many - has their own idiosyncrasies that work for them.
Baker's method for measuring, locking and stretching the strings is definitely one of if not the best way of doing it.

*I'm not a big 'bar' user. I bend a lot though. I will keep strings on for months. I have no tuning issues.
Not advice, just a personal anecdote.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 1 2013, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 1 2013, 07:17 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 1 2013, 04:11 PM) *
*I'm not a big 'bar' user. I bend a lot though. I will keep strings on for months. I have no tuning issues.
Not advice, just a personal anecdote.

I respect your point of view...so what does that sentence mean? If you used a wammy bar you'd expect tuning issues or more string changes or both? smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:08 PM