My New Guitar: What Pickups Should I Need?
petitourson
Oct 26 2009, 05:29 PM
GMC:er
Hey there rocker friends!!

I've joined GuitarMasterClass about a year now and since then i've been having this cheap (but relativelly good for it's price) Stagg Fender-style guitar. Since August I moved to India for my studies and in the town where I am staying is a luthier making extraodinary electric guitars. The particularity is that those guitars are very cheap for what they are worth.

Usually it is a one-piece mohagony (or red cedar) body with rosewood fretboard and 12 layers painting, with very good pickups, vibrato and locking tuners costs (everything entirely handmade) for about 1000 euros. Everything is custom, from the body's shape to the woods and pickups.

I know that I am relatively beginner but I probably won't find such an deal anywhere, and I really like playing guitar and I was planning to buy a new guitar anyway. I feel that having such a good and nice looking guitar will push me to study this instrument hard and progress rapidly.

Now I roughly have got all the specs of the guitar in my head: a yamaha shaped body made of a single piece mahogany, rosewood fretboard, sunburst painting, and customized fender-type neck (flatter at buttom to access high notes and 1mm wider than Strats to prevent the high E and low E strings from sliding from the fretboard).

For the pickups a High output pickup and two low output single coil seem the best for me.

Now, I am not a very experienced player, and I am not very sure wich pickups I need exactly.

The styles I like go from blues (especially distorded blues, like Gary Moore or Jimmi Hendrix) to rock (modern bands like RHCP), and hard-rock (Led Zep, Deep Purple, ACDC, and even Black Sabbath in some aspects).

So basically a high output pickup for hard-rock/rock distorded sound, and two other ones for a warmer bluesy sound.

I am not aiming at playing heavy metal or any very "dirty sound" music.

Now this luthier told me about those very good pickups he is working with: Lindy Fralin. Now I am not completely sure I need THAT good pickup, since I don't have an unlimited budget^^

Can you guys help me out wondering what kind of pickup I need? Maybe a Gibson P90 and two fender single coils?

Thanks in advance guys smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
ZakkWylde
Oct 26 2009, 05:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
You don't need a high output pickup, those are aimed at metal and shred stuff...

You need a medium output (or vintage hot) humbucker in the bridge for some serious rock tones!
Here are some choices:

-Seymour Duncan Alnico II (slash's humbucker)
-DiMarzio Paf Pro
-Gibson Burstbucker Pro
-Bareknuckle Black Dog

You might want to combine one of those with some original Fender Coils for maximum versatility!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 4 2009, 03:02 PM
Ok thanks Zakk for this small info. I am thinking about it.

I am probably going to order all my axe's hardware (pups, tuners, bridge...) from an us online site, as a friend of the luthiers can bring it from california.

Any suggestions for a reliable and cheap US online store with enough choice?

About the bridge: a hear a lot talking about this Floyd Rose tremolo, what is particular about it? The luthier suggested me to take a Gotoh vintage Birdge, what about it?

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Nov 4 2009, 04:26 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (petitourson @ Nov 4 2009, 03:02 PM) *

I am probably going to order all my axe's hardware (pups, tuners, bridge...) from an us online site, as a friend of the luthiers can bring it from california.

About the bridge: a hear a lot talking about this Floyd Rose tremolo, what is particular about it? The luthier suggested me to take a Gotoh vintage Birdge, what about it?

If you go for a hunt on eBay and list out the top rated sellers, that`s gotta be the cheapest (and still reliable) page I know. Also, you have musiciansfriend.com which is very good.

Instead of explaining what Floyd Royse is, I`ll rather embed a vid which showes it for you:

PS: I didn`t found any particular good demo, but mr. Vai can you show some stuffs you can pull of with a floys rose:

A vintage bridge could mean both a non-trem and a trem-bridge. Non trem says it self, no pitch-bending trickery. with a Fender-like trem, you could add some vibrato and some pitchchanges, but no as extreme as with floyd rose.

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 4 2009, 04:27 PM
QUOTE (petitourson @ Nov 4 2009, 02:02 PM) *

STEWMAC.
WARMOTH.
You can order everything you need from either of these two.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 8 2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I'd also suggest the Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups, they really sound great.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 10 2009, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Nov 8 2009, 12:49 PM) *
I'd also suggest the Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups, they really sound great.

The luthier told me the pups should be F spaced because of the trem... is this the case for this pick up?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 10 2009, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
You have to buy a Trembucker version of the Alnico II Pro, they are F-Spaced.

F-spaced stands for Fender or Floyd Rose spaced. It means those bridges are a little wider so you need a slightly bigger pickup, an F spaced one!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
newguyatgmc
Nov 10 2009, 03:04 PM
Where are u studying in India. which city?

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 10 2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, here on he Warmoth website are some "Trembuckers", but I don't see the Alnico II Pro ... it has another name? Is it the '59?

By the way, I'm working in Auroville, near Pondycherry, studying mechanical engineering. smile.gif

But there are some Alnico II Pro in the single coil section for strats pickups. Are they nice? Or better as humbuckers?

This post has been edited by petitourson: Nov 10 2009, 05:40 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 10 2009, 11:37 PM
Instructor
The best vintage singles from Seymor Duncan are probably Antiquity ones. They wind them manually, as opposed to all the other pups that are machine-wounded.
I would suggest that you reconsider the Fralin pickups as they are really a good investment and would match nicely with the guitar. Zakk also suggested vintage to moderate output for humbucker. I agree there.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 13 2009, 09:40 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 11 2009, 12:37 AM) *
The best vintage singles from Seymor Duncan are probably Antiquity ones. They wind them manually, as opposed to all the other pups that are machine-wounded.
I would suggest that you reconsider the Fralin pickups as they are really a good investment and would match nicely with the guitar. Zakk also suggested vintage to moderate output for humbucker. I agree there.

I think that yes, I am going to go for those fralin pickups. I never really had the oppurtunity to play them but some videos on the net show that they always have a very nice sound, whether your sound is clean or slighly distorded. Anyway, event the antiquity are more expensive than the fralins.

Especially the "Blues Special" have a nice small Hendrix touch to it. I am going to go for those single coils I think. Then the question is whether I overwind them or not.

I know overwinding gives +5% output, +5% mediums and -5% more hights. Does that mean that the sound is slighlty more darker/poweful? Could be a nice option for doing slightly distorded blues (ex: hendrix or gary moore, eventhough gary probably uses humbuckers)?

As far as the humbucker is concerned I'm going to go for the fralin too I guess : the f-spaced 9K humbucker, sounds pretty cool on hard/rock, must be very nice to play some ACDC with this!

Other technical question: I have the possibility to have a one-piece neck. How does that behaves with the sound and trem? It is more fragile from what I heard right?

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 17 2009, 03:16 AM
Up :x

Can you just tell me what you thinks of a single piece neck? I'v never played on such a guitar before^^

Is it worth it for an extra 40 euros to the price?

thx for the advice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 18 2009, 11:50 PM
Instructor
I think that yes, I am going to go for those fralin pickups. I never really had the oppurtunity to play them but some videos on the net show that they always have a very nice sound, whether your sound is clean or slighly distorded. Anyway, event the antiquity are more expensive than the fralins.

Especially the "Blues Special" have a nice small Hendrix touch to it. I am going to go for those single coils I think. Then the question is whether I overwind them or not.

I know overwinding gives +5% output, +5% mediums and -5% more hights. Does that mean that the sound is slighlty more darker/poweful? Could be a nice option for doing slightly distorded blues (ex: hendrix or gary moore, eventhough gary probably uses humbuckers)?

There is no need for overwounding, all the players you mentioned used regular vintage pickups. SRV is an example of a player that used overwound pickups, but his sound came also from the way he played, not just the pickups.

As far as the humbucker is concerned I'm going to go for the fralin too I guess : the f-spaced 9K humbucker, sounds pretty cool on hard/rock, must be very nice to play some ACDC with this!

OK

Other technical question: I have the possibility to have a one-piece neck. How does that behaves with the sound and trem? It is more fragile from what I heard right?

I'm not really sure how these necks enhance tone. If they do, it is a veeery subtle difference, and you would have to have a pretty good ear to hear it. You should better think about what you want for the fingerboard wood, this has a lot more effect to the tone:

Maple:
Very bright and dense, Maple is highly reflective. When used on a fretboard, Maple encourages tremendous amounts of higher overtones and its tight, almost filtered away bass favors harmonics and variations in pick attack.

Rosewood:
The most common fretboard, Rosewood is naturally oily, and works well for any surface that sees frequent human contact. The sound is richer in fundamental than Maple because the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores

Ebony:
Ebony has a snappy, crisp attack with the density of Maple, but with more brittle grains, oilier pores, and a stronger fundamental tone than Maple. It has a tremendous amount of percussive overtones in the pick attack, that mute out shortly thereafter to foster great, long, sustain.

Pao Ferro:
Quite simply, Pao Ferro is a wood that falls between Rosewood and Ebony, and the tone follows suit. It has a snappier attack than rosewood, with good sustain, and its warmer sounding than Ebony. Some consider Pao Ferro to represent their favorite aspects of the two.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 18 2009, 11:52 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 19 2009, 04:26 AM
Instructor
Seymour Duncan Alnico II (slash's humbucker) is recommended for that,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 19 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks a lot Ivan for this complete advice on fretboards!

+Quote Post
petitourson
Nov 29 2009, 04:44 AM
Ok, I've got one last small question, then I promise the specs are ready and the full guitar is ordered^^:

I found an impoter to France for Fralin Pickups in France, that saves me from ordering it directly to Fralin (no orders by internet). So I got one last question for the pickups:

I will order 2 Single Coil Blues Special (Neck + Middle) and on the bridge a nice F-Spaced 9K Humbucker. (hope there is not too much volume difference)

On the ordering sheet, for the Single coils, I need to fill in the magnet stagger, wheter it is HYBRID or STOCK. (???)

I honestly don't really know the difference. I think I read somewhere it has to do with the fretboard radius curve, but I'm not sure... can you help me for this last point?

Thanks in advance guys, especially if you can reply fast, I need to make the order as quickly as possible for them to arrive in december!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 29 2009, 12:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have no idea...

Try Emailing them and ask what you need to order?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:36 PM