My Pod X3 And Me :o)
mattacuk
Aug 9 2009, 09:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ok so I had my Pod for over a year now and in all honesty ive never been happy with any of the "tones" ive dialed in. The truth is Im still really flying blind with tone/sound shaping, infact im just twiddling randomly with the knobs laugh.gif unsure.gif

I know very little about EQ settings basically, im one of these people who sits down every day and practices hard, ignoring learning about recording and sound shaping etc.

I would really like a modern bright and punchy shred sound ala Paul Gilbert , Yngwie Malsteen etc (not a dirty heavy metal kinda sound though).

Any general tips with EQ and tone shaping much appreciated biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 9 2009, 09:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Good Topic!!
I use the POD x3 for a year now too smile.gif Most of the time i use Lians Metal Rhythm preset which is really cool.
But i also randomly turn the knoobs from left to right and have no idea what i am doing smile.gif So i will follow this thread and see what the experts say smile.gif

Do you like the Shred preset??

Greetz Edguy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 9 2009, 09:41 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have a little witch brew that I add to all my sounds.
- The Line6 Sine corus
and
in the EQ section I always drop the lowest and highest frequencies.

Those two things do wonders to the sound smile.gif

EDIT: And I always keep the curve below the median line

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 9 2009, 09:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2009, 09:41 PM) *
in the EQ section I always drop the lowest and highest frequencies.

See this is the kinda thing I dont know about laugh.gif

I dont understand about high and low frenquences unsure.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 9 2009, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm always messing around with my pod x3 live, i have a few good patches if you want them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 9 2009, 10:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 9 2009, 10:46 PM) *
See this is the kinda thing I dont know about laugh.gif

I dont understand about high and low frenquences unsure.gif

On a real amp I like to keep a lot of bass but on the POD I think it sounds better with a bit of the bass and the highs cut out.
And about that on the POD, on the amp you should dial in as much bass, mids and treble you likewith the knobs. Then, in the separate EQ section you dial out the bass and highs.

Just use the Gearbox and shape a hill. With a slope to the left and right.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 9 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Actually check this guy out on you tube does some great tones plus you can download his patches as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/extremevideopro

ps his steve vai tone is amazing

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Aug 10 2009, 05:41 AM
GMC:er
Ive used the POD x3 LIVE for a year now, and ive used the marcus Lavendell three level tone ALOT, i love that tone... check it out wink.gif it is SOMEWHERE here on gmc tongue.gif

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 10 2009, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
try this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=15898

what guitar are you using/pick ups?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 10 2009, 08:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2009, 10:20 PM) *
On a real amp I like to keep a lot of bass but on the POD I think it sounds better with a bit of the bass and the highs cut out.
And about that on the POD, on the amp you should dial in as much bass, mids and treble you likewith the knobs. Then, in the separate EQ section you dial out the bass and highs.

Just use the Gearbox and shape a hill. With a slope to the left and right.

OK, I think I understand. Im guessing Middle and Treble is "High frequencies" ? I tried dialing them down earlier today and I think my tones already sound alot better.

I would say that that my tones were sounding "thin" or "tinny", does that make sense?? smile.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Aug 9 2009, 10:10 PM) *
I'm always messing around with my pod x3 live, i have a few good patches if you want them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thats a great Offer Bondy biggrin.gif But this time Im trying to learn how to work the thing myself cause im useless with it laugh.gif laugh.gif

Im hoping to get a Blackstar HT-5 Head and cab for crimbo which should be much easier to dial. The Pod is really more flexible than I need. Im your sit down and play kinda guy cool.gif

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Aug 10 2009, 06:24 AM) *
try this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=15898

what guitar are you using/pick ups?

A Ibanez PGM 301 with Di Marzio PAF Pros smile.gif

QUOTE (Bondy @ Aug 9 2009, 10:20 PM) *
Actually check this guy out on you tube does some great tones plus you can download his patches as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/extremevideopro

ps his steve vai tone is amazing

That is a sweeet link!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:29 PM