Recording Bass, Cubase LE
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 11:37 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys, so i know how to record drums and would be very great if someone could help me with bass smile.gif I use Trilogy, and i have some questions - can i see somehow a bass fretboard like in guitarpro? Or i need to do it with piano roll? And what channel it should be for bass, as for drums is 10?
And of course more important - what is basic rules for bass guitar? For example i know that when guitar plays chords i can play root note of chord and it will sound ok, but what should i do with other rhytmic\solo patterns, for example something with pinch harmonics, whammy bar, bending? Bass just can`t follow this, so any tips?smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 2 2009, 11:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 2 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Hi guys, so i know how to record drums and would be very great if someone could help me with bass smile.gif I use Trilogy, and i have some questions - can i see somehow a bass fretboard like in guitarpro? Or i need to do it with piano roll? And what channel it should be for bass, as for drums is 10?
And of course more important - what is basic rules for bass guitar? For example i know that when guitar plays chords i can play root note of chord and it will sound ok, but what should i do with other rhytmic\solo patterns, for example something with pinch harmonics, whammy bar, bending? Bass just can`t follow this, so any tips?smile.gif

You have to work with piano roll. Alternatively you can program it in Guitar Pro and save as midi file. Then import the midi file into Cubase (just like for EZ drummer). Load your Trilogy and set it to any channel other than 10 as 10 is reserved for drums. Then set your midi track to that channel as well. Set your track output to Trilogy and you should hear it.

About the technique, you don't really need too complex stuff on bass. Mostly root notes and some other notes from the scale depending on the chord. Arpegios work good for bass. For example if the chord is A minor, bass line could play some patterns using A, C and E notes. There are more complex approaches but if you program midi bass keep it simple. You won't find any good pinched harmonic sample for bass guitar. For that stuff you should record live bass.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 2 2009, 12:47 PM) *
You have to work with piano roll. Alternatively you can program it in Guitar Pro and save as midi file. Then import the midi file into Cubase (just like for EZ drummer). Load your Trilogy and set it to any channel other than 10 as 10 is reserved for drums. Then set your midi track to that channel as well. Set your track output to Trilogy and you should hear it.

About the technique, you don't really need too complex stuff on bass. Mostly root notes and some other notes from the scale depending on the chord. Arpegios work good for bass. For example if the chord is A minor, bass line could play some patterns using A, C and E notes. There are more complex approaches but if you program midi bass keep it simple. You won't find any good pinched harmonic sample for bass guitar. For that stuff you should record live bass.

I didn`t say i need complex stuff =) i meant when guitar plays pinch harmonics, bends etc, what bass should do. Nice i didn`t know about arpeggios on bass, i`ll go try to do something smile.gif I guess i owe you biggrin.gif YOu are very helpful, thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 2 2009, 12:41 PM
Instructor
Alex Pop Rock Blues Metal and all popular music styles in general have very restricted bass parts.

Your rule number one is to stick to roots of the chords. Thats the primary role of the bass player in any band. You can play octave, do different rhythmic patterns or constant eight notes etc. Also, you can do arpeggios like Emir mentioned, thats next step. Last step is to introduce scale tones in between all your arpeggios. That creates almost soloing like effect on bass. Just remember not to overdo it - bass needs to keep tonality and harmony recognizable thats why roots work best for music styles I mentioned.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 2 2009, 12:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 2 2009, 11:41 AM) *
Alex Pop Rock Blues Metal and all popular music styles in general have very restricted bass parts.

Your rule number one is to stick to roots of the chords. Thats the primary role of the bass player in any band. You can play octave, do different rhythmic patterns or constant eight notes etc. Also, you can do arpeggios like Emir mentioned, thats next step. Last step is to introduce scale tones in between all your arpeggios. That creates almost soloing like effect on bass. Just remember not to overdo it - bass needs to keep tonality and harmony recognizable thats why roots work best for music styles I mentioned.

smile.gif

I agree 100% here

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 01:12 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 2 2009, 01:41 PM) *

smile.gif

Thanks a lot Pedja, i already recognized that when i stick with root on a bass, chords sound good smile.gif Guess i don`t need to "go far" with bass:)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 2 2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 2 2009, 01:12 PM) *
Thanks a lot Pedja, i already recognized that when i stick with root on a bass, chords sound good smile.gif Guess i don`t need to "go far" with bass:)

You welcome Alex.
Perhaps you can use chord tones in bass ?

For example C maj chord is C E G
If you play in bass E note you get C/E chord which means C triad with E in the bass. This is pretty cool to do if you are going to F chord for example because then your E bass note moves up a half step to F , while if you played C and then play F you would have that perfect 4th jump up!

Things like that you know ? Its all about rhythm , experiment and see what works.
The most important thing is for your bass to work well with Drums rhythmically (all the kicks should sync well) and then you can start thinking about notes as shapes etc

Hope that helps wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 2 2009, 02:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Lots of it is already said in here..You need to type in the midi track inside the piano roll..Good option to thing about is programming the track in guitar pro and exporting as midi from GP.Than you can import the midi in your recording software and assign the track to proper channel (there is no rule which channel bass should be (audio channel order?).Load your Trilogy VST.Then assign the midi bass track to output into Trilogy.You will be able to hear Trilogy playing the bass midi track.

Regarding programming the bass my advice would be to keep it simple (especially if you are not a bass player).Safest bet would be to stick to roots , chord tones and arpeggios.Listen to the drums groove and try to make up small repetitive phrases using mentioned notes choice - the bass groove to go along the drums well...

Check out this thread where I elaborated some ideas how to improvise bass against a backing track.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=21527

Also you can always check out some of my lessons to get some ideas..

Cheers

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 05:09 PM
Guys you are very kind and helpful! I don`t expected such response ohmy.gif Thank you all once again! biggrin.gif I`ll go check your lessons Bogdan, and see that thread.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Bass notes usually follow the drums, and harmony of the track. So using notes from the chords from rhythm guitar backing track may be a good starting point.

Another useful tip would be for you to dial in only the roots on the MIDI track, and then insert a MIDI plugin that will arpeggiate those roots. There are several plugins for this in Cubase, and they can be programmed to do some very interesting stuff.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 3 2009, 08:43 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 2 2009, 11:38 PM) *
Bass notes usually follow the drums, and harmony of the track. So using notes from the chords from rhythm guitar backing track may be a good starting point.

Another useful tip would be for you to dial in only the roots on the MIDI track, and then insert a MIDI plugin that will arpeggiate those roots. There are several plugins for this in Cubase, and they can be programmed to do some very interesting stuff.

Ivan, thanks, but where are that plugins?? And how do I use them:) That`s very cool if i don`t need to create arpeggios myself, saves time.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2009, 01:01 PM
Instructor
In Cubase insert a MIDI plugin on a MIDI track, just as you would insert audio inserts. There you can see the list of stock plugins like Arpache or Step Designer. Also check out this free plug:
http://www.audiomastermind.com/detail-chordworx-9334.html

They need some time tweaking and working with them but various combinations can give you some very interesting results.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 4 2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks i appreciate that ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 4 2009, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 4 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
No prob mate! smile.gif

If you need a nice handy little instrument that only needs root notes in MIDI, you can check out Virtual Bassist from Steinberg. It has premade grooves that you can additionally change and it has some nice array of sounds as well. Not as good as trilogy, but good enough for some pilot and demo stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:14 AM