Is There A Trick To Not Screwing Up Your Floyd Rose When Changing Tunings?
Praetorian
Mar 9 2009, 03:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Everytime I try to change tunings for a different song or lesson, I end up throwing my whole Floyd setup out of whack. Is there some trick I should know about? I am thinking about just blocking the Floyd off so it doesn't move at all since I have gotten so frustrated with the tuning issue!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 9 2009, 03:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Easy trick.

Buy another guitar! smile.gif

Seriously though I think the answer would be no without having o adjust the whole thing a again. The main reason why I have bought a few guitars. Each with a different tuning. Or buy another guitar without a FR.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 9 2009, 03:49 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Mar 9 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Easy trick.

Buy another guitar! smile.gif

Seriously though I think the answer would be no without having o adjust the whole thing a again. The main reason why I have bought a few guitars. Each with a different tuning. Or buy another guitar without a FR.

I was afraid of that! I bought a Tremel-No but it didn't work like I thought it would...maybe time to try reinstalling it!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Mar 9 2009, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 9 2009, 03:49 PM) *
I was afraid of that! I bought a Tremel-No but it didn't work like I thought it would...maybe time to try reinstalling it!

I tremol-no is excactly what you want.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 9 2009, 04:35 PM
What you have to remember is that if your Floyd is set to the tension of the Strings in normal tuning then if you de-tune there's less tension in the strings and therefore the Springs will need adjusting to compensate for this!! If your main Detuning is to a drop D then have a look for a gadget called a D-TUNA (Eddie Van Halen uses one) which fits onto the back of your Floyd and drops your low E to a D (or back again) without the need to reset the Floyd each time!

You can see a D-TUNA HERE!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor
Getting a new guitar without tremolo would be the best (and pricey) idea mate! I blocked my strat tremolo completely cause I don't want to have any detuning hassles - it kills the pleasure completely for me! But then again I don't use the tremolo that much, sometimes for some downtune licks and that's all.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 9 2009, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I have a number of guitars with FR trems that I keep set up at different tunings. Also, correct me if I'm mistaken Sensible Jones but I think you still need to block the trem to use a D-Tuna because the spring/string tension balance is still an issue so just adjusting one string on a floating trem would put all the other strings out

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 9 2009, 07:15 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Mar 9 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Also, correct me if I'm mistaken Sensible Jones but I think you still need to block the trem to use a D-Tuna because the spring/string tension balance is still an issue so just adjusting one string on a floating trem would put all the other strings out

You're quite right, although they only suggest blocking the Upwards motion of the Trem, or 'Stabalising' as they like to call it!! They also suggest the installation of either a 'Hipshot Tremsetter' or a 'WD Tremstabalizer'! Sorry if I confused anyone!!!
unsure.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Skalde
Mar 9 2009, 07:59 PM
Learning Roadie
There is something called "Black Box" made my Rockinger
It is just a little bolt with a spring, you install it under your Floyd Rose.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I have never tried one, but I only read postive reviews about it. I am going to check it out soon cool.gif
Worth a try.

Here is the link to the webshop:
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG0...p;product=16060

This post has been edited by Skalde: Mar 9 2009, 08:00 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 9 2009, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Every time I retune guitar I need to adjust springs. The best is to have one guitar with fixed bridge for that stuff and another one if you need floyd rose.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 9 2009, 08:49 PM
I reinstalled my Tremel-No and it works much better now! I must have screwed up the installation the first time!

Skalde - That looks like it limits the movement only one way...and I really don't like having two springs on one side and only one on the other!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:55 AM