May 9 2012, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Let's start with simple pentatonics!
Ami7, Gmi7/C7, Fmaj7, Bm7/E7

Over Ami7 - Gmi7 - C7 - Fmaj7
I want you to play G minor pentatonic

Over Bm7 - E7
F# minor or A major

Let's start with that! Try to jam over this progression and let me know if you have any questions!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 9 2012, 02:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Aha you meant scales wink.gif okey. Pentatonics, I will try it

Well I havent played much pentatonics (suprising maybe) I usually go with the major/minor scales and also mixolydian and some other modes.
But you remove the 3th and the 6th and you got the pentatonic. But when improvising, over the 5th fret I dont got that good knowledge of the location of all the notes but I will give it a try

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ElHombre: May 9 2012, 02:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 10 2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 9 2012, 01:14 PM) *
Aha you meant scales wink.gif okey. Pentatonics, I will try it

Well I havent played much pentatonics (suprising maybe) I usually go with the major/minor scales and also mixolydian and some other modes.
But you remove the 3th and the 6th and you got the pentatonic. But when improvising, over the 5th fret I dont got that good knowledge of the location of all the notes but I will give it a try

Do you need pentatonic positions and tabs?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 10 2012, 09:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
No im good smile.gif
I can figure them out I know the most major/minor scales and I know what notes to remove so I get 5 in the scale.

Its just that I dont know the names of the notes over the 5 th fret that I can say which note it is within a milisecond!
After my test on tuesday I got nothing music related to worry about and I can start pratice 3 hours a day I will have a look at the pentatonics!

cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 11 2012, 05:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 10 2012, 08:12 PM) *
No im good smile.gif
I can figure them out I know the most major/minor scales and I know what notes to remove so I get 5 in the scale.

Its just that I dont know the names of the notes over the 5 th fret that I can say which note it is within a milisecond!
After my test on tuesday I got nothing music related to worry about and I can start pratice 3 hours a day I will have a look at the pentatonics!

cheers

Perfect! Let me know if you need any help!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 25 2012, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
So Alex I am free of all non guitar related troubles, its time to start practice more serioustly now, 3 hours h day.
And you idea was to first learn me to play different pentatonics over progressions before learning changes?

So maybe we can begin with, how do I know which pentatonics are playable and when, looking at the progression?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 25 2012, 05:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 25 2012, 08:14 AM) *
So Alex I am free of all non guitar related troubles, its time to start practice more serioustly now, 3 hours h day.
And you idea was to first learn me to play different pentatonics over progressions before learning changes?

So maybe we can begin with, how do I know which pentatonics are playable and when, looking at the progression?

Awesome! I am glad to have you back smile.gif
So to figure out pentatonics you need to;
1) Find the key of the song
2) Find pentatoncs for all minor modes!
It's that simple so here is an example:
C major - Gmajor - D major
I this case I know that the key is G major
G - A - B - C - D - E - F#
Minor modes are
A dorian - B Phrygian - E Ionian
So that means over
C - G - D chord progression I can play
A minor - B minor - E minor pentatonics!
Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
May 26 2012, 10:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
G major scale, E Ionian, and A dorian, B phrygian all have one # (F#). So these scales got common notes.
So you find the minor modes common with the key and turn them into pentatonics?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 27 2012, 07:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 26 2012, 09:29 AM) *
G major scale, E Ionian, and A dorian, B phrygian all have one # (F#). So these scales got common notes.
So you find the minor modes common with the key and turn them into pentatonics?

Those scales have the same notes the only difference is the root!
I didn't understand your last question can you explain what do you mean please?

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 01:18 AM
Instructor
So I have a Sunny Backing track for you in style of Greg Howe!
Here it is
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/sunnybackingtrack
I would like you to jam over it for a bit so you can get the feel!
We will start a new mentoring approach with you! It will be like a collab but only you and me! I will start recording tomorrow and will post my take here and than it will be your turn! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jun 2 2012, 10:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Cool new menotring wink.gif Yes I will make a recording as soon as I can

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 11:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jun 2 2012, 09:58 PM) *
Cool new menotring wink.gif Yes I will make a recording as soon as I can

So here is my take!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/elhombre
I would like you to continue my idea for the next 16 bars and be melodic as possible!
Also when you are uploading the track mix your solo after mine and leave the rest of the track playing so I can add my next take! I was playing A dorian scale mixed with E minor and B minor pentatonics!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 05:42 AM
Instructor
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Do you need any help with the assignment I gave you?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jun 4 2012, 09:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 4 2012, 04:42 AM) *
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Do you need any help with the assignment I gave you?

Yes, how can u use the A dorian scale if the song is in A minor? Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 09:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jun 4 2012, 08:28 AM) *

Sorry I have made a mistake:) I meant to say A Ionian and did a typo!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 06:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jun 4 2012, 08:28 AM) *

Just wanted to see how are you doing? Do you have any questions or need help with anything?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jun 17 2012, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I cant focus on praticing alex wink.gif
I got your tasks, cosmins tasks, my new song.
And loads of stuff, very difficult stuff I am trying to learn, I cant focus directly on learning one thing, I jump between them, and I always end up improvising over a cool backing track, which is fun but doenst really give much.

Think I need some help structuring my practicing.
Cheers

This post has been edited by ElHombre: Jun 17 2012, 05:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 17 2012, 11:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jun 17 2012, 04:12 PM) *
I cant focus on praticing alex wink.gif
I got your tasks, cosmins tasks, my new song.
And loads of stuff, very difficult stuff I am trying to learn, I cant focus directly on learning one thing, I jump between them, and I always end up improvising over a cool backing track, which is fun but doenst really give much.

Think I need some help structuring my practicing.
Cheers

I can absolutely help you with that!
Please let me know how much time do you have to practice every day and what are your practicing also let me know your current schedule!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jun 18 2012, 12:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 17 2012, 10:06 PM) *
I can absolutely help you with that!
Please let me know how much time do you have to practice every day and what are your practicing also let me know your current schedule!

Hey, I messed up my previous schedule lets start a new one. I think I can set 3 hours guitar practice a day.

Things to work on:

Theory
New Song
Alex tasks
Cosmin tasks
My own tasks.

I got a summer break from IRL teatcher so no more of that right now.
It should be clear what to do, but it isnt.

I think I need more help than just "30 min theory", or Im going to end up doing nothing tongue.gif
I know we cant set up a schedule each day, but some directions maybe.

What I am doing now:

Theory: Going through the circle of fifths and harmonizing. Cosmin has spoken about the importance of singing note etc.
As previoustly mentioned I am secure in knowing what names the notes have up to the 5 th fret, I dont know which methode to use to furthermore be secure all over the fretboard. I need also to learn all the major modes. How do you practice scales? root to root? Or do you play different major modes always starting on low E?

New song: Exchanging some rythmic ideas with cosmin, trying to do some cool arpeggios.

Alex tasks: Going to continue your solo over Sunny.

Cosmin: Drop tune guitar and learn Marco sfogli lesson:

My Own tasks: Here is where I end up and acheiving nothing. Transcribing and learning both Andromeda by Marco sfogli and She goes by, Muris varajic. Also doing some work on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYM864IOTs8...feature=g-all-c
what to focus on?

I dont know really how I end up just jamming over a few tracks tongue.gif Need more structure

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jun 19 2012, 01:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
http://soundcloud.com/erik93/elhombre2

Here is my proceeding on our sunny jam. But first we can deal with the practice routine smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 AM