What Comes First For You?
Enucleation
Jan 18 2009, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
So, during most choruses I like for a guitar melody to be underneath the vocals, kind of Arch Enemy style. When I get there in writing though, I can normally think of a pretty good melody but, have a lot of trouble getting a chord progression for it without sounding simplistic and boring. I say choruses but really it's with any melody, so my question is...

What comes first, chords or melody?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jan 18 2009, 07:23 AM
Well, if you are already happy with the melody, then simply form the harmony around it. Look at each note of the melody, and see what chords it is a part of. For example, the song is in the key of C, because I'm a lazy bum. laugh.gif If the note of the melody you are looking at is A, then it could be the root of A minor, the fifth of D minor, or the third of F major. This is just a very rough example, but it's a simple way to get started.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 18 2009, 07:24 AM
Instructor
very individual. I sometimes have the lyrics first but sometimes just a solo and take the rest from there. I think there is no rule, it just depends on the moment what comes first smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 18 2009, 07:49 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Jan 18 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Well, if you are already happy with the melody, then simply form the harmony around it. Look at each note of the melody, and see what chords it is a part of. For example, the song is in the key of C, because I'm a lazy bum. laugh.gif If the note of the melody you are looking at is A, then it could be the root of A minor, the fifth of D minor, or the third of F major. This is just a very rough example, but it's a simple way to get started.

Yeah, I'm still learning theory so that might be my problem... I normally can find good chords for it but, it just comes out as octaves normally. I guess I have to just work more on theory.

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 18 2009, 12:24 AM) *
very individual. I sometimes have the lyrics first but sometimes just a solo and take the rest from there. I think there is no rule, it just depends on the moment what comes first smile.gif

I know that there are no rules and it can be different for everyone but, I figure if it works best for someone else then, it might just help me out tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 18 2009, 02:16 PM
Instructor
There's no set rules for me.. Sometimes chords, sometimes melody.
For GMC lessons it's always chords though...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 18 2009, 07:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
For me usually chords come up first when composing...but depends really...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 18 2009, 07:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have a friend who writes pop songs professionally, he told me - If you want to make a hit, always start with the melody.

He said he tried different approaches over the years and the songs where he found the melody first has a lot bigger chanse of becoming a hit compared to any other approaches.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 18 2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor
Individual thing mate, sometimes it's a cool melody, sometimes it's a cool harmony, sometimes it's a cool riff, whatever comes first, you must be able to use it properly. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't depending on the creativity process and other people involved, but in general ideally you should make a good thing out of any good component that you have. My advise is to collect good ideas as backup project, so when you open them after a while with a fresh mind you can make drastically better projects.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 18 2009, 10:59 PM
Instructor
I will say the same as Ivan on this matter. It's very individual and varies from each song i'm working on.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 18 2009, 11:07 PM
Jazz Instructor
Good question.

Melody. Even if you find good chord progression, that's sounds nice, or powerful or whatever, it's actually melody, because you play it in the certain position. Chord progression(harmony) can't be original, because it's abstract concept.
Most of the songs share the same harmony(I-IV-V, II-V-I, I-VI-II-V), Even the II-V-I and I-VI-II-V which some people call advance harmonies are actually usual I-IV-V. With added II, I don't want to get in the details but...
Since all good(or popular) songs share the same harmonies, how come that you must think of good chord progression to create original song?

Melody itself, already contains rhythm(try to play Satriani's "always with me always with you" with even rhythm, da, da, da, da....It's lost), so....Harmony is abstract concept, you can't create some new harmony. Still, playing over some chord progression is a great idea, you can develop melodies, and phrases, and whole song.

If you create a melody in advance, there is a ultimate harmonic solution for that, you just have to choose position in which you'll play them, whether you'll use some substitutions...Then in which style you want to play. I mean if you created a prog-rock piece you can't play jazz chords, can you?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 19 2009, 12:25 AM
Instructor
No rule I would say,do it as you please. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 19 2009, 12:50 AM
Instructor
For GMC lessons I work on Harmony first then I come up with melody.

For my original stuff it works both ways. I actually enjoy taking melody and harmonizing it in many different ways so I have no preference really I love both smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jan 19 2009, 12:55 AM
If you like melody, I would stick with melody. For me I use chords because I just usually pick out the definitive note in the chord to make my melody.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:38 AM