Learning the note values on Guitar
mattacuk
Feb 4 2007, 12:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hey guys,
I have had a burning question in my mind for sometime regarding learning the notes on my fretboard. I would love to be able to recognise where all the different notes are, so I could just pick up my guitar and play a certain tune for instance. Can anyone help?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
katman
Feb 5 2007, 04:27 AM
GMC:er
There is a cool "game" type program called Advanced Fretpro. It shows a guitar fret board and you have so many seconds to identify the notes that light up on the fretboard. You can make it as challenging as you want by changing the parameters of the game. It is a donationware program and it's on ther following site:

www.TabGuitarLessons.com

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 5 2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks alot katman. Cool game. Very helpful in learning fretboard

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 5 2007, 01:11 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks Katman, I will look at this when I get home. I feel as a good guitarist I really need to identify all the notes !!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
katman
Feb 5 2007, 03:13 PM
Glad I was able to help!! There's also a free metronome site available to help you with the speed picking:

www.metronomeonline.com

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 5 2007, 08:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (katman @ Feb 5 2007, 02:13 PM) *
Glad I was able to help!! There's also a free metronome site available to help you with the speed picking:

www.metronomeonline.com

That is a great online metronome, i used to use it but now i have copied Kri about bought a blue Korg one blink.gif BEEP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
raqroso
Feb 5 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm no expert but I am getting pretty good at this by incorporating 5 min into every practice session.
Making up different games of going around the neck naming notes...

I sort of look at it like this:

Learn the natural notes - you can sharp and flat notes by going up/down 1 fret once you Know the naturals

Start with the 6 and 5 string.... everyone learns those... with 6 and 5 done you are 1/2 way there !
(because the 6 and 1 string are the same!)

Learn the B string (the D shape chord root note - easy to remember for a lot of people and it corresponds
to the same root note on the 5 string one fret up in a lot of arpeggios and fingerings...

Lastly,
The third and fourth strings can be picked up by referring to the octaves of the 6 and 5 string
(2 frets over and 2 frets down) Example 5TH fret 6 string is an A.... 7th fret 4th string is an 'A' too)

other 'tips':
notes at the 7 fret spell B-E-A-D going down...
notes at the 10th fret D G C F (DoG Cat Fight)
The C at third string/5th fret is a "Middle C " - a good reference point
Where ever there is a 'B' a 'C' is right next to it/ wherever there is an 'E' an 'F' is right next to it.
Octaves are a big help so learn them

Learning all the notes is a big help in figuring out chords and inversions and
scales, intervals, and repeating phrases in different places on the neck.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 5 2007, 10:15 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Feb 5 2007, 08:02 PM) *
I'm no expert but I am getting pretty good at this by incorporating 5 min into every practice session.
Making up different games of going around the neck naming notes...

I sort of look at it like this:

Learn the natural notes - you can sharp and flat notes by going up/down 1 fret once you Know the naturals

Start with the 6 and 5 string.... everyone learns those... with 6 and 5 done you are 1/2 way there !
(because the 6 and 1 string are the same!)

Learn the B string (the D shape chord root note - easy to remember for a lot of people and it corresponds
to the same root note on the 5 string one fret up in a lot of arpeggios and fingerings...

Lastly,
The third and fourth strings can be picked up by referring to the octaves of the 6 and 5 string
(2 frets over and 2 frets down) Example 5TH fret 6 string is an A.... 7th fret 4th string is an 'A' too)

other 'tips':
notes at the 7 fret spell B-E-A-D going down...
notes at the 10th fret D G C F (DoG Cat Fight)
The C at third string/5th fret is a "Middle C " - a good reference point
Where ever there is a 'B' a 'C' is right next to it/ wherever there is an 'E' an 'F' is right next to it.
Octaves are a big help so learn them

Learning all the notes is a big help in figuring out chords and inversions and
scales, intervals, and repeating phrases in different places on the neck.

Some great tips man, thanks!!! Im wondering if the 60 minute fretboard system on that website is worth a small donation to be able to download??

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:38 AM