Pa System, Live sound, what is actually needed
jegsar
Jun 18 2009, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
I know this isn't the best site for this kinda of stuff but i'm hoping someone has some insight on it.

I'm attempting to put a power/deathmetal concert together, Outside with an expected turnout of around 150 people max. I'm looking for have a concert that the sound quality doesn't sound like it's being done at the local bar with $200 speakers.

Is it possible to get a good PA system that would be able to support this within a $2500 budget? Would a pair of JBL SRX-725 speakers be good enough and some sort of sub or should i be looking to find a larger budget?

I'm open to creative suggestions of all kinds (including ebay)

Any advice on this would be much appreciated
Thank you,
Jegsar

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jun 18 2009, 09:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Do you only need speakers? Or do you also need a mixer etc.?
In either way 2500$ is a pretty low budget

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 18 2009, 09:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
hey pal!

I raised the same question myself so check out this thread:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=24894&hl=

Hope it helps!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 18 2009, 11:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Do you really need to buy this gear for the concert or you can rent the speakers from a local dealer ?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 18 2009, 11:18 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
for an outdoor concert I think you'll need lots of and huge speakers. The sound has nothing to work with and won't be contained and bouncing like in a pub for example.
That's my guess. If I were you I'd rent the stuff since I don't think it'll be overkill when used indoors.

Hire a soundguy, I mean... if it's a private party maybe not, but otherwise I think that's a good idea. Probably he has the right connections to find the stuff aswell.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 19 2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor
I would rent if you're planning to do one concert or just few. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 19 2009, 01:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 19 2009, 12:44 AM) *
I would rent if you're planning to do one concert or just few. smile.gif

+1

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
jegsar
Jun 19 2009, 03:26 AM
Well as far as a sound guy, that would be me. I do a lot studio work and i know how to use everything. I just don't know what is required for live performances.

If we rent equipment that means that the concert has to pay for its self. By my estimate, we'll up up producing around $500 after the bands have been paid. I've done some looking around the NY area and i cant seem to find anything that would be suitable for less then $5-600 (at best and I'm not even sure if that is enough)

If we buy it then i can justify spending my own money because i will be able to use it in the future.
I've been doign research and i see these sites trying to sell me stuff like 300w speakers for 250 people.

From what I've read it seems like people suggest 10w per person (i know there are a LOT of variables to consider) i figure 2 JBL SRX725s are 1200 a piece so that 2400w total, should be good for 240 people. lets say 15w per person because it's outside. so that 180 people. if this makes sense i can live with it because i should be able to borrow some weaker speakers (300w) as monitors.

If you think everything above is complete bull, then please tell me what you think it would cost to buy a PA system that would be suitable for this, and/or advise some products. And alright lets up the budget. lets say 3500$ (give or take $200) to build a FoH system, and i have nothing for so far.

I do however have smaller monitors, a bunch of mics, (sm57s, sm58s, studio condensers, Shennhiser 421, most of the common mics) a decent 24 channel mixer,
PS: thanks for the help so far but it doesn't look like renting in NY is gonna be an option.

Edit for language - Chris

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: Jun 19 2009, 12:10 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 07:11 PM
Instructor
OK, perhaps you haven't looked enough for renting but first let me just say that buying whole PA system is serious budget spending on one gig, unless you plan to rent it in the future. Most of the time it won't pay off as easily as you think but who knows..

OK, you have 2500$ for 150 people. What stage gear do you HAVE now?

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 19 2009, 07:12 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 20 2009, 02:26 PM
You would need something like this :

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Pair?sku=600414

+

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Pair?sku=600482

+

poweramps that are needed to power your speakers (I'm not sure If only 1 will do the job):

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-Amp?sku=481388

Generally this should be more then enough to do an outdoor gig for 250 people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jegsar
Jun 22 2009, 08:40 PM
I did more research into renting in my area and i just cant seem to find something that is worth renting.

I also looked into the MRXs and the Subs.
At this point i'm looking at a pair of JBL MRX525, and a pair of Behringer B1800Xs, and a pair of Crown XLS5000D.
I'm just wondering? are the Behringers in the same quality range of the JBLs? I think i should be able to get all of it for around $3500

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 23 2009, 01:07 PM
QUOTE (jegsar @ Jun 22 2009, 09:40 PM) *
I did more research into renting in my area and i just cant seem to find something that is worth renting.

I also looked into the MRXs and the Subs.
At this point i'm looking at a pair of JBL MRX525, and a pair of Behringer B1800Xs, and a pair of Crown XLS5000D.
I'm just wondering? are the Behringers in the same quality range of the JBLs? I think i should be able to get all of it for around $3500

No, Behringers are not the same quality as JBLs (I think). But if you take good care of those speakers they will do a very good job. Here, local gig organizers use them all the time everywhere and they still sound great. Behringer company makes cheap stuff (less quality materials) and some of the stuff is good and some is not. I find these subs to be pretty ok. See if you can find JBLs or some different brands for the similar price if you can , maybe its worth investing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2009, 01:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Bring an extra mixer !!!

...and two monitors for the drummer smile.gif

EDIT: Beringer are ok, not more.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:33 AM