Thinking Of Getting A New Guitar. Any Thoughts On The Gretsch G5265?
ben.franklin
Sep 9 2008, 02:10 PM
GMC:er
Have got approximately £300 to spend on a second electric guitar, and I'm really keen on the G5265 (Electromatic) Jet Baritone (with Bigsby)

You can see it here.

Has anybody played/seen this guitar? Really like it, and I'm a big fan of Gretsch guitars, so it seems like an ideal choice. Is the 'Baritone' part of the title significant, or is that just a model name?

Any thoughts welcome guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 9 2008, 02:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Don't know about this particular guitar but I'm nearly definite a baritone guitar is one that is tuned B-E-A-D-G-B instead of E-A-D-G-B-E.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ben.franklin
Sep 9 2008, 02:29 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 9 2008, 01:15 PM) *
Don't know about this particular guitar but I'm nearly definite a baritone guitar is one that is tuned B-E-A-D-G-B instead of E-A-D-G-B-E.

That's interesting. I'm assuming retuning to the standard setup would be no problem though?

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 9 2008, 02:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Not sure, but usually baritone guitars have an equal standard guitar. This one doesn't though as far as i can tell.

Also i just looked baritone guitars up and they have a longer scale length so they can be tuned lower so i dont know if setting it standard would be very easy.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Sep 9 2008, 02:38 PM

+Quote Post
ben.franklin
Sep 9 2008, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 9 2008, 01:33 PM) *
Not sure, but usually baritone guitars have an equal standard guitar. This one doesn't though as far as i can tell.

Also i just looked baritone guitars up and they have a longer scale length so they can be tuned lower so i dont know if setting it standard would be very easy.

Thanks for your help.

There's a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet (with Bisby) which does look very similar. See here.

Doesn't have the same options for the finish (I quite liked the sparkle effect), but I guess I can live without it. Seems to be about £50 more expensive, which is unfortunate.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 9 2008, 03:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (ben.franklin @ Sep 9 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Thanks for your help.

No problem, also that other guitar says "your choice of solid black, gold or silver sparkle top." So you probably could get the sparke finish.

+Quote Post
ben.franklin
Sep 9 2008, 03:59 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 9 2008, 02:53 PM) *
No problem, also that other guitar says "your choice of solid black, gold or silver sparkle top." So you probably could get the sparke finish.

Thanks Matt. I didn't know if sparkly was a bit too 70's, but I think I can just about get away with it. smile.gif

Have you ever played a Gretsch by any chance?

Best start practising my best 'Stairway to Heaven' riff for when I go to test the guitar then. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:18 AM