> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Tadas' Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 22 2020, 03:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Tadas! Welcome to Gab's Army!!

Your goals:

- Practice tips
- Learn theory
- Creating music

Please tell me a bit more about you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tadas
Dec 22 2020, 07:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gabriel, thanks!

I've started playing roughly 15 years ago while I was still in school, mostly played RHCP and Metallica covers back then. Later I was in a band heavily influenced by Alter Bridge for several years until we split up. We've done some gigs, but barely any recordings (audio) (video). Last 6 or so years I pretty much haven't played at all and now I'm getting back at it. I pretty much want to become better at everything (technique, ear training, theory), but I'd say my main long term goal is to write and record some instrumental music of my own.

I like all kinds of music but here's some of my favorite albums:
  • Alter Bridge - Blackbird
  • Trivium - Shogun
  • Alice in Chains - Dirt
  • Mastodon - Crack the Skye
  • Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
  • Audioslave - Audioslave
  • Jeff Buckley - Grace
  • Plini - Handmade Cities
  • Nick Johnston- Remarkably Human
  • Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music
  • Paul Gilbert - Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar
  • Tool - 10,000 Days
  • Rishloo - Feathergun

I only know the very basics of theory (major scale, how chords are constructed, etc.) but I haven't spent time trying to connect any of it to my playing yet, so even just finding notes on the fretboard usually takes some time. Currently I'm reading through the Creative Guitar books by Guthrie Govan.

I'm practicing 1-2 hours a day, mostly focusing on technique right now. Working on these GMC lessons:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 22 2020, 08:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great stuff here!!

I must say that I love most of those albums! Have you heard Andy James latest 2 albums? I think that you'll find some cool tracks there as well. Check the song After Midnight, for example.

That's a good list of lessons, and Creative Guitar books are also among my favorites. You are definitely on the right track my friend!

I think that we can use this thread to monitor your progress on lesson's practice, answer questions, and follow your compositions. I also think that it would be cool to analyze some of your favorite songs, to learn the structures, and theory behind them.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tadas
Dec 23 2020, 12:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation, I've heard about Andy James but haven't really listened to his music yet, so I'll do that.

I've recorded this take for REC last week, but then noticed that my timing is still very inconsistent and decided to continue practicing it slowly:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 23 2020, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Tadas,

Yes, it can be tricky to play legato tight. Timing becomes one of the challenges because everything is based on our left hand. The best you can do to fix this is to work at slower tempos first. This video shows that you are still not comfortable at this tempo, so I recommend you to download the other backing tracks and check if you can play tight at those tempos. If you need more in-between tempos, you can use metronome or a drum looper.

This thread has a cool discussion about timing: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry781859

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tadas
Jan 5 2021, 12:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gabriel,

I've read through the thread you suggested and now I'm noticing timing issues in all of my playing, regardless of tempo, so thanks for that. biggrin.gif
Here's a couple of slower practice takes, please let me know if you have any comments. I'm practicing these at even slower tempos to work specifically on timing.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 5 2021, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great job with these two lessons! I can say that your timing is not a problem here. It can become a problem when you increase tempo but not at this tempo.

However, I think that your groove can be improved, mostly when playing the rhythm lesson. One thing that can help to feel the groove more and be able to play groovier is to let your head and body move more with the rhythm. Check the most groovy guitarists, check their bodies and see how they dance with the music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tadas
Jan 17 2021, 11:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gabriel,

I'm practicing these two picking etudes for around a month now but I think they are out of my league and it's going to take a really long time before I can play them at full speed.

Here's Darius's alt. picking workout at 120 BPM (original at 180). 16th note patterns are still not very clean but I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with them.

Here's Marcus's neoclassical etude at 100 BPM (original at 140). Not very happy with this take but I couldn't get it any cleaner tonight. I rush badly at the beginning of the pull-off section and I messed up a few notes in the outro run.

Please let me know if you have any feedback or practice tips on these. Also I'm thinking of making a break with these two lessons to work on something a little slower, probably one of the slower alt. picking workouts by Darius. What do you think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2021, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Tadas!

Good job here! I don't think that practicing these lessons is a bad idea, but it's true that you need to try different approaches to continue improving your alternate picking technique.

In my own experience, playing this type of long etudes is good to work on hands sync, posture, polishing movements and getting used to the different patterns. But this is not what worked for me to gain picking speed at first. What I've learnt from masters is that working on small blocks is the way to go if you want to increase your speed. That's why I would do this 3 things:

- Working on very small sections from this lessons. You can take one of the triplets parts from Darius lesson and build exercises from them. The same with the second lessons. You can build lots of small blocks from it.

- Working on other lessons (as you suggested) to keep on finishing lessons so you can feel a measurable progress (Using the REC section).

- Playing at least twice this two lessons (complete) every day to avoid forgetting the whole thing and to monitor how the blocks practice is affecting your progress.

Regarding your last videos, I think that your playing is good. There is only some room to make your left hand fingers movements smaller, and to relax your right hand (and arm) when playing faster parts. Focus on these two details when practicing.

Ok mate, that's all by now. Let me know what you think and if you have any question.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:50 AM