Dean Build-quality And Input On Getting Low-end Guitar
Wilska
May 17 2009, 07:02 PM
GMC:er
So, i'm looking into getting a cheaper guitar because I need a guitar without a floyd so I can tune to dropped quickly when I need to. I've been looking into the Dean ML 79, Dean Vendetta 4.0, LTD EC 500 (used) and the LTD MH/H models.

As I said it will be used as an "off" guitar and mostly used for practice and maybe some idea recording.

I would very much like the Dean ML 79 but i've heard so many bad things about Dean the last 2-3 years. Is the quality of their lower-ends really bad?

Right now the most interesting are the Vendetta and the EC 500 simply because they have 24 frets, and the Vendetta is even 25.5 scale which I prefer.

Any opinions about dean quality or any of these guitars?
I would also like suggestion about other guitars that I could look into. I can spend around 7-8 euro.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 17 2009, 07:26 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
don't know much about Dean Guitars but if you are considering a LTD EC model, try to get one of these babies into Sweden.... You would not be disappointed and may even become your main axe..

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000prestthincsbf.html

Spec's on Agile guitars..

http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html (AMAZING FOR THE PRICE!!)

I had a 2000 and I will tell you, the quality was there no matter the price. I just could not get used to the LP body style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 17 2009, 07:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
I guess the built quality of Deans low end models is bad because EVEN THEIR MIDDLE CLASS MODELS ARE BAD!

I had a Dave Mustaine V for some time and my buddy has a Razorback (both are 1k Euros and above). They are korean made but they don't do justice for their Price (unlike schecters korean models).

The wood quality is poor, the built is OK and the hardware is extremely cheap. My toggle switch broke on the first day and neck had dead spots on the Dave Mustaine Dean (I returned it to the store and got a much better Ibanez for less money) and my friend had to replace the cheap floyd rose copy on his Razorback because it broke (unbelievable that you don't get an original floyd for over 1k euros).

The only good dean guitars come from the USA Custom shop, and they are terribly overpriced...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
AdamB
May 18 2009, 05:14 PM
GMC:er
I don't wanna give them a bad rep as I've only ever played one dean guitar, but the experience I had with it wasn't great. I mean I'm not into that style of guitar anyhow, so it might just be it wasn't for me. My mum, who has no idea whatsoever about guitars, got me a baby ML for my birthday, which was cool none the less, any free guitar is welcomed.

Played it a bit, wasn't impressed as the pickups pole pieces weren't spaced correctly (they didn't line up with the strings - need to be F spaced perhaps?), the body felt a little bit too light and the neck didn't feel that fast/smooth. But it was a cheap guitar.

Then when I was practicing one day, I stood on the cable like a prat (should've put it through the strap like any normal person) and the input jack ripped out of the body sad.gif The screws holding it in (it was mounted with a square plate and 4 screws) were tiny. It repaired quite easily, just stuck some bigger screws in and resoldered it, but still wasn't great obviously.

-Adam

+Quote Post
sted
May 18 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
I read this more and more these days, the bigger and more well known companies seem to be sacrificing quality everywhere in their cheaper ranges, Epi, Dean, the list keeps getting longer!
The companies who accept that they are predominantely mid range seem to always offer the better instruments, Ibanez are virtually untochable in this arena and schecter are offering some stunning instruments for silly prices.
Why not check out a home grown brand? The Hagstrom brand is having a resurgence and the model in the link below just got a very good review in Guitar Buyer magazine. What could be better than showing your patriotic side whilst shredding?

http://www.musiclandcentral.com/hasesuswelgu.html

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:54 PM