6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Pentatonic Rock Collaboration (intermediate), 6 Soloist needed!
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 12:42 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hello everyone!

I had a bit of luck with this -

I was in a bar and they had a kind of rocky Jazz act going, called the Dave Lopola band - they gig a lot in Southern Connecticut, good band, professionals. Anyway, long story short, I got talking to Dave and told him about GMC, mentioned the collaborations and he offered the bands help to make a backing track for us!

I couldn't refuse, so I went down to one of their rehersals yesterday with a couple of mics, my laptop and copy of reaper and got this after a little mixing. That's me on the microphone calling the changes, felt like I had my own band smile.gif Oh, and Daves only condition was that he could put a sax solo in the middle, it didn't seem a lot to ask!

Its an A minor progression, based on an old standard called "The Work Song", 140 bpm, would suit minor pentatonic well. There is room for 6 solos, 16 bars each. Who's up for it?

Thanks to Dave and the band, in order:
  • Dave Lapola on Sax
  • Chuck Smith on drums (sorry about making you play to a metronome dude!)
  • Frank Morotta on Bass
  • Jim "pick" Avercourt on lead guitar
  • And yours truly playing the rythm
I had a great time and we got a cool backing track out of it!

The rules are the same as for Daves collaboration, first 6 takers are in, please make sure you can record before you volounteer ....

I will be travelling on business all next week, so won't be able to mix this until the weekend after this, so sign up quickly, but take your time practicing and recording!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 27 2007, 12:55 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GMC_Collaboration_The_Work_Song.mp3 ( 5.43MB ) Number of downloads: 552

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitar34
Jul 27 2007, 01:02 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 26 2007, 05:42 PM) *
Hello everyone!

I was in a bar and they had a kind of rocky Jazz act going, called the Dave Lopola band - they gig a lot in Southern Connecticut, good band, professionals. Anyway, long story short, I got talking to Dave and told him about GMC, mentioned the collaborations and he offered the bands help to make a backing track for us!

I couldn't refuse, so I went down to one of their rehersals yesterday with a couple of mics, my laptop and copy of reaper and got this after a little mixing. That's me on the microphone calling the changes, felt like I had my own band smile.gif Oh, and Daves only condition was that he could put a sax solo in the middle, it didn't seem a lot to ask!

Its an A minor progression, based on an old standard called "The Work Song", 140 bpm, would suit minor pentatonic well. There is room for 6 solos, 16 bars each. Who's up for it?

• Dave Lapola on Sax
  • Frank Morotta on Bass

The rules are the same as for Daves collaboration, first 6 takers are in, please make sure you can record before you volounteer ....

I will be travelling on business all next week, so won't be able to mix this until the weekend after this, so sign up quickly, but take your time practicing and recording!

Sweet! Good job on finding this!

QUOTE (Guitar34 @ Jul 26 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Sweet! Good job on finding this!

Them guys!****

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more practice the better you get!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 27 2007, 03:13 PM
Sounds cool!
So, when you say take blabla and then after the sax your part starts?

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jul 27 2007, 10:13 AM) *
Sounds cool!
So, when you say take blabla and then after the sax your part starts?

Doesn't really matter where you record it - your solo should be once through the entire chord progression. 16 bars. There are 6 of those free in the entire song, so record it any place you want and when I edit it I'll put them all in some sort of sequence.

Are you in?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 27 2007, 03:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Andrew!!!! ohmy.gif You're the coolest! biggrin.gif

That rocks, count me in for sure!

EDIT: Got to restring my LP, the Ibanez doesn't cut it tongue.gif
EDIT2: I know my pentatonic scale. If there are too many interested I'm offering my spot.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 27 2007, 03:58 PM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 27 2007, 03:53 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 26 2007, 06:42 PM) *
Hello everyone!

• Dave Lapola on Sax
  • Frank Morotta on Bass

I just did Walliman's so is it ok to get in on this one as well? I want to pass the gravy around though, but this tune would be killer to play so let me know - if so, yes I am in! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 03:55 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 27 2007, 10:53 AM) *
I just did Walliman's so is it ok to get in on this one as well? I want to pass the gravy around though, but this tune would be killer to play so let me know - if so, yes I am in! biggrin.gif

Strictly first come forst served, so you are in along with MickeM, and Ezra as a possible ...

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2007, 10:32 AM) *

Wow, I'm honoured laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 27 2007, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2007, 09:32 AM) *
Andrew!!!! ohmy.gif You're the coolest! biggrin.gif

That rocks, count me in for sure!

EDIT2: I know my pentatonic scale. If there are too many interested I'm offering my spot.

Mike - did you use the Ibanez on Walliman's? I thought it sounded good.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 27 2007, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 27 2007, 05:14 PM) *
Mike - did you use the Ibanez on Walliman's? I thought it sounded good.

Thanks, yes it was, neck pu and with the Guitarport, a Marshall setting if I remember well.

For this I was thinking LP with a clean(ish) setting. I wish I had my Peavey at home so I could mike it up.
...or I wish I had the Laney 5W Lionheart laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 27 2007, 05:53 PM
so you would have to write a solo in pentatonic?

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 27 2007, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2007, 11:43 AM) *
Thanks, yes it was, neck pu and with the Guitarport, a Marshall setting if I remember well.

For this I was thinking LP with a clean(ish) setting. I wish I had my Peavey at home so I could mike it up.

So many choices so little time! biggrin.gif I was thinking of a distorted bluesy lead but clean would be cool too! Now you've got me thinking too much!

5W? Do you need all that power?! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 27 2007, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 27 2007, 04:17 PM) *
Doesn't really matter where you record it - your solo should be once through the entire chord progression. 16 bars. There are 6 of those free in the entire song, so record it any place you want and when I edit it I'll put them all in some sort of sequence.

Are you in?

Yeah, yeah count me in smile.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2007, 12:43 PM) *

Yep, would be nice smile.gif

A mix of clean/bluesy distortion will work really well I think - I would put the clean stuff in first, then turn up the power by including more distorted solos later on smile.gif

QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jul 27 2007, 12:59 PM) *
Yeah, yeah count me in smile.gif

OK!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 27 2007, 06:52 PM
is it just a pentatonic solo?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jul 27 2007, 01:52 PM) *
is it just a pentatonic solo?

No solo is JUST a solo wink.gif

Its up to you - pentatonic/blues/minor would all work well.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 27 2007, 09:43 PM
alright let me just finish my other one for david and ill let you know

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 10:32 PM
3 Definates so far - any more takers?? C'mon guys!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 27 2007, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 27 2007, 11:32 PM) *
3 Definates so far - any more takers?? C'mon guys!

I can only agree! Come one! Or else I will make 16 bars laugh.gif

People, you must realize this backingtrack so rocks!!! \m/

I have a solo ready but will try this weekend to see if I can record it better. It's not entiry clean but overdriven and I had no strings home to restring the LP so I played the Ibanez.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2007, 11:14 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2007, 06:11 PM) *
I can only agree! Come one! Or else I will make 16 bars laugh.gif

Heh, the assignment already is 16 bars, but don't make MickeM play 32 bars!!!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 28 2007, 12:04 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 28 2007, 12:14 AM) *
Heh, the assignment already is 16 bars, but don't make MickeM play 32 bars!!!

Don't you hate what beer does to you... heh laugh.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 AM