2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Metronome And Lessons.
mattacuk
Apr 17 2007, 11:52 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 17 2007, 11:45 PM) *
A rest is quite simple a period of time for which you don't play anything - rests come in flavours to match all of the notes, so you can have 16th rests, quarter rests etc. IN music notation they all have their own symbols, but don't appear at all on tabs.
I guess you can yes - if you have a 7 note lick, for the sake of argument, it might be 7 16th notes and a 16th rest making a total of 8 16th notes (you won't see the rest on the tab of course). Musical phrases usually align to bars, so you should immediately be suspicious of something that doesn't. If you played it as the author intended with the rest, you would get 2 complete cycles per bar.

If you played it without the rest (since you have no way of knowing it is there from the tab) you would cycle around and play the riff once, then immediately start again, play it a second time (making 14/16ths) then you would get in another 2 16ths by the end of the bar, meaning that you would get out of sync with the bars, and also with your metronome unless you set it to play 16ths (you normally set it to play quarters).

If you continued like this, at each bar marker you would be starting the riff 2 16ths later. Eventually, after quite a few bars you would get back in sync with the bars ... sounding confusing again, sorry sad.gif

haha, to be honest, im more confused than ever as i really dont understand time i guess sad.gif I guess for now ill just play things that are 3, 4 or 6 notes per beat and hope something clicks in my head one day wink.gif

Thanks very much for your hard workthough, im sure others will benifit !! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 17 2007, 11:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 17 2007, 06:52 PM) *
haha, to be honest, im more confused than ever as i really dont understand time i guess sad.gif I guess for now ill just play things that are 3, 4 or 6 notes per beat and hope something clicks in my head one day wink.gif

Thanks very much for your hard workthough, im sure others will benifit !! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

As a last resort you could check out my Time 101 lesson and see if that helps!

But whatever happens, don't get hung up on it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 17 2007, 11:59 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 18 2007, 12:02 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 17 2007, 11:58 PM) *
laugh.gif

As a last resort you could check out my Time 101 lesson and see if that helps!

But whatever happens, don't get hung up on it smile.gif

Thanks Andrew, I had a look at it earlier but think ill need to keep checking backon it! Im just a little worried that im not going to be able to do some GMC lessons due to my lack of understanding. Maybe when i get to a lesson where i cant work out what im supposed to be playing i can just ask?

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Apr 18 2007, 12:02 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 18 2007, 12:20 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 17 2007, 07:02 PM) *
Thanks Andrew, I had a look at it earlier but think ill need to keep checking backon it! Im just a little worried that im not going to be able to do some GMC lessons due to my lack of understanding. Maybe when i get to a lesson where i cant work out what im supposed to be playing i can just ask?

Sure - we'll do all we can to help, its always easier with concrete examples, plus you have the guys who wrote the lessons available too, so you can't lose!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:51 PM