2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Maths
DeepRoots
Sep 19 2007, 04:21 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Anyone out there enjoy a good number crunch? I'm doing A-level maths and am staring blankly at a piece of paper holding a set of questions i just can't do.

just to see how many of you like / can do maths i'll throw one out and see how it goes....

(maybe your proof will help me understand)

Show that the equation of the tangent to the curve
y=7x^2 - 2e^x at the point where x=2 is
y=(28 - 2e^2)x + 2e^2 - 28.

Cheers for your help....if you can handle it ( evil laugh fading out......)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 19 2007, 04:44 AM
GMC:er
The answer is 42.

Hope you get the reference tongue.gif

I'd honestly love to help but that looks like someone fell on a keyboard a few times sad.gif.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 19 2007, 04:45 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 19 2007, 05:21 AM) *
Anyone out there enjoy a good number crunch? I'm doing A-level maths and am staring blankly at a piece of paper holding a set of questions i just can't do.

just to see how many of you like / can do maths i'll throw one out and see how it goes....

I dnt get the bends really. Can you tab it for me? tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 19 2007, 04:50 AM
Get to da Chopper!
i guess you guys see this and think the same as i do- "screw this i'm grabbing my guitar".

At this point in the course thats a bad thing for me to be thinking.....

@ Ayen : yeh i get the reference- and that thing hitting the keyboard was my head tongue.gif

@ blindwillie : this type of bend is often a problem for guitarists that arent nerds- just ask your nearest maths teacher for details on this issue cool.gif

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 19 2007, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 19 2007, 05:50 AM) *
i guess you guys see this and think the same as i do- "screw this i'm grabbing my guitar".

At this point in the course thats a bad thing for me to be thinking.....

@ Ayen : yeh i get the reference- and that thing hitting the keyboard was my head tongue.gif

@ blindwillie : this type of bend is often a problem for guitarists that arent nerds- just ask your nearest maths teacher for details on this issue cool.gif

Sorry for making a joke of it, just couldn't resist. I'm to no help. I've been through this but I found it boooring and tideous and that stuff didn't stick.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 19 2007, 04:54 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Sep 19 2007, 04:53 AM) *
Sorry for making a joke of it, just couldn't resist. I'm to no help. I've been through this but I found it boooring and tideous and that stuff didn't stick.

amen to that... dry.gif

cheers anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Sep 19 2007, 05:19 AM
Don't you just derivate (if it's called that in english, I just made that up) it and put x = 2? And then it's done?

I'm sorry if I'm no help, because since you're doing A-level maths (I suppose on university level), the solution must be harder than that, but it looked so easy.. I don't know. Hope I helped, otherwise just ignore me:p

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Sep 19 2007, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 19 2007, 04:21 AM) *

I'll take a shot. First differentiate y with respect to x using your first equation. This results in dy/dx = 14x - 2e^x and represents the gradient (tangent) at any point. Since we're interested in x=2, plug this value into dy/dx to get a gradient of m = 28 - 2e^2. Since the equation of a straight line is y = mx + c, and we've just found m, we only now need to find the Y-axis intercept c. But we know we've got a straight line passing through the point x=2, y=28 - 2e^2 (from your first equation) AND it has a gradient of 28 - 2e^2. Therefore the line crosses the Y axis at -(28 - 2e^2) or equivalently 2e^2 - 28 and gives us the value of c. So, the equation of the tangent at x=2 is therefore y = (28 - e^2)x + 2e^2 - 28 which agrees with the second equation in your post.

Best of luck in your exam!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 19 2007, 07:03 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Sep 19 2007, 05:22 AM) *
I'll take a shot. First differentiate y with respect to x using your first equation. This results in dy/dx = 14x - 2e^x and represents the gradient (tangent) at any point. Since we're interested in x=2, plug this value into dy/dx to get a gradient of m = 28 - 2e^2. Since the equation of a straight line is y = mx + c, and we've just found m, we only now need to find the Y-axis intercept c. But we know we've got a straight line passing through the point x=2, y=28 - 2e^2 (from your first equation) AND it has a gradient of 28 - 2e^2. Therefore the line crosses the Y axis at -(28 - 2e^2) or equivalently 2e^2 - 28 and gives us the value of c. So, the equation of the tangent at x=2 is therefore y = (28 - e^2)x + 2e^2 - 28 which agrees with the second equation in your post.

Well Im impressed blink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 19 2007, 08:30 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Sep 19 2007, 05:22 AM) *

wow. that was an awesome explanation. thanks alot ressurrection! much better than my teacher laugh.gif

i hope you dont mind me pestering you via PM for when i get stuck next time.

Great help

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Sep 19 2007, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 19 2007, 11:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 19 2007, 03:30 PM) *

No good deed ever goes unpunished ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 19 2007, 11:54 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 19 2007, 11:48 PM) *
No good deed ever goes unpunished ...

haha! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 20 2007, 01:04 AM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Feb 21 2011, 03:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 20 2007, 01:25 AM
Instructor
Maths? You gotta be kidding!

I would be of better use in sweeps than in maths biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 20 2007, 02:06 AM
If you asked me this 2 years ago I would have had an answear for you, but I forgot all my math now.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 20 2007, 06:56 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Sep 19 2007, 06:04 PM) *
This thread made me remember how much I hate math. wacko.gif dry.gif

yeah i hate it too!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Sep 23 2007, 07:02 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 19 2007, 08:30 PM) *
wow. that was an awesome explanation. thanks alot ressurrection! much better than my teacher laugh.gif

Great help

Glad to have been of help.

To all the other posters, how can you possibly hate mathematics? wink.gif

Seriously though, most of it is getting to grips with terminology, technique and the proper frame of mind. Kinda like guitar playing smile.gif

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 23 2007, 07:46 PM
I just find mathematics boring, I wish I didn't, but I just do. I kinda feel that numbers hate me. They just jump up from the paper like shrapnel into my face.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 23 2007, 08:36 PM
Lets go fishing!
Im probably as poor in mathematics as you can get laugh.gif Not because I don’t feel i have the intelligence, rather I wasn’t given the opportunity in school to learn as my class size was huge and teachers rarely turned up sad.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 23 2007, 08:53 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Rightly or wrongly if you want to study any science or science related subject post 16 then a good grounding in maths and/or stats is pretty much a prerequisite.

In the UK in the past you also needed a pass at what was then "O" level grade C (or CSE grade 1) in both English and Maths in addition to the required grades for subjects studies at 'A' level to enter University. My wife had to take her "o" level maths several times to get the pass mark so that she could go to uni despite v good grades in her 'a' levels rolleyes.gif . Have to say that even now it's me that helps our daughter with her maths homework lol: .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:54 AM