Dimebucker, not all its cracked up to be??
Chris Evans
Aug 25 2008, 12:31 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Recently bought a DImebucker that I threw into the bridge position of one of my guitars.

I did quite a lot of researching on various different pickups, I wanted to change the stock pickup that was in the bridge (Ibanez V8) the pup itself isnt too bad on the whole, plenty of output, but I felt no real clarity like the pups in my other guitars.
Obviously looking for crunching tones etc and after a while I settled on looking for a Dimebucker, it had many rave reviews being a "hot" pickup, of course the odd poor review but in the main it got a huge thumbs up, eventually one came up on good ol ebay that I managed to get for a reasonable price, it arrived and I set about installing it biggrin.gif

No problems installing, a slight modification needed as the pickup is quite deep but nothing major or hard to do or revert back if I wanted, wiring diagrams are easy enough to find on the net, so in 20 mins or so I had the new pup installed and ready to rock n roll ...................

Shock horror!!! how weak is this sound sad.gif putting the pod xt into full overdrive mod, a screamer on max drive etc and this thing had no guts whatsoever! no sustain, nothing sad.gif with the POD settings like this I got a terrific rythmn sound, but lead? ... arrggh, the weird part was the sound was crystal clear, very good clarity but just no guts to the thing, I ofc checked double checked, triple checked, re soldered etc and double re soldered the wires in case something was a miss, but nope, everything in order, wires all correct, needless to say I reverted back to the stock pup within about 30 mins of messing around with patches etc

So I wondered has anyone else got this pup in their guitar? how have you found it, I`m a tadge confused that it should have sounded this thin and weak.

I went from biggrin.gif to sad.gif in the space of 30mins laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 25 2008, 01:15 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Man, that sucks! sad.gif Have you tried playing it through your amp? Alot of reviews people are suggesting that the tone varies from amp to amp with this p/up. Seems odd to me though. Any chance a 500k pot might help?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 25 2008, 07:54 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Aug 25 2008, 01:15 AM) *
Any chance a 500k pot might help?

it has a 500k pot already, found a few more reviews that have said how much this pup varies from guitar to guitar as well, so I might throw it into the Jackson and see how it sounds in that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 25 2008, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
It really sucks when you get something new and it dosent work like you want it to.

It has happaned to me more times then i can count

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 25 2008, 08:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I don't know this particular pickup, but maybe you should give it a bit more time to get your ears used to sound of it ..

I think pickups react differently with digital devices like the POD as with amps. Adjust your playing to the pickup could help as well to get the sound you are looking for .. (i know it should be the other way around normally)

Maybe some stupid advices as you are an experienced player, but hopefully it may cheer you up a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 25 2008, 08:26 AM
not stupid at all mate, I appreciate your input smile.gif

The tone is hard to explain really, I should have taken some clips before I took it out again and posted the comparisons on the same settings etc, but not something I could have lived with, I will try it in my other guitar before outing it back onto ebay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Aug 25 2008, 12:41 PM
GMC:er
Woa, that's very odd considering it's supposed to be a distortion-class humbucker. I second the idea of trying it thru an amp, but even then, I doubt you'd get more drive out of the amp because the Dimebucker along with most Seymour Duncan pickups have a scooped mid-range witch doesn't push tubes into more distortion, but you probably already knew that.

I'd say that you might have gotten a faulty pickup. But maybe the Dimebucker isn't for you? I know I don't like the tone I get from Seymour Duncan pickups in general.

I have a Duncan Custom pickup in one of my guitars, I hate it, it has no balls, it's a high output ceramic, and it doesn't drive tubes very much at all. It also has this weak, weird sounding midrange, the notes kind of "honk". laugh.gif It sounds ridiculously bad.

Dimarzio, Dean, and Gibson(Burstbuckers FTW) make my favorite pickups in the world, if you do get rid of the Dimebucker, and you want clarity and power, with nice rhythm and lead sounds I'd suggest a Dimarzio Evolution.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 25 2008, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Aug 25 2008, 12:41 PM) *
Woa, that's very odd considering it's supposed to be a distortion-class humbucker. I second the idea of trying it thru an amp, but even then, I doubt you'd get more drive out of the amp because the Dimebucker along with most Seymour Duncan pickups have a scooped mid-range witch doesn't push tubes into more distortion, but you probably already knew that.

I'd say that you might have gotten a faulty pickup. But maybe the Dimebucker isn't for you? I know I don't like the tone I get from Seymour Duncan pickups in general.

I have a Duncan Custom pickup in one of my guitars, I hate it, it has no balls, it's a high output ceramic, and it doesn't drive tubes very much at all. It also has this weak, weird sounding midrange, the notes kind of "honk". laugh.gif It sounds ridiculously bad.

Dimarzio, Dean, and Gibson(Burstbuckers FTW) make my favorite pickups in the world, if you do get rid of the Dimebucker, and you want clarity and power, with nice rhythm and lead sounds I'd suggest a Dimarzio Evolution.

interesting point you make about the "honk" I know what you mean, this pup made that kind of noise although more like a "quack" laugh.gif
I requested seymours in my custom, which of course what was fitted and I was slightly disappointed with the output of those as well although they certainly do the job better than this one and not enough for me to want to change them, it makes it a better all rounder, but I want this guitar for out n out metal biggrin.gif

Thanks for the Dimarzio tip, I think thats the way I`m leaning either that or I might go the EMG 81/85 route.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 25 2008, 01:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Something is definitely wrong. I just put a Dimebucker in my Ibanez and it SCREAMS! I would bring it to a guitar tech and have them check the pup...maybe it is screwed up.

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Aug 25 2008, 01:50 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:57 PM
Instructor
It's not a big deal man, just sell that pup, and replace it with a new one, you will have to pay some extra cash, but all in all it will be a good experience I guess. Just trying to keep things positive mate. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 25 2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah the same thing happened to me.. I put it in an old cheap ibanez expecting the sound to improve, but it sounded like a muddy mess when i was done... the cheap stock pickups sounded better than this dimebucker, i eventually traded the whole guitar in with the dimebucker pickup in it to a local music store for an amp.. What a huge disappointment that was..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Aug 25 2008, 02:17 PM
you might wanna try reversing the polarity (i think thats what you call it) where you put the black wire where the red wire is or vice versa, the wires arent always red and black thats just an example but you understand right?

+Quote Post
bubbalicious
Aug 26 2008, 06:20 PM
was it damaged in the post?

--------------------
my gear;

guitars:epiphone x-ploror
epiphone sg special (hopeing to remake it)
caliber strat copie
oakman acoustic
amps:mega 15 watt(crap)
line 6 spider 2 30 watt
pedals:zoom pedal board
line6 fx switcher
recording:line 6 toneport gx

check out my practice agenda

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 26 2008, 07:51 PM
Does it cancel hum correctly?

This post has been edited by Oxac: Aug 26 2008, 07:54 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 26 2008, 08:09 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 25 2008, 02:14 PM) *
Yeah the same thing happened to me.. I put it in an old cheap ibanez expecting the sound to improve, but it sounded like a muddy mess when i was done... the cheap stock pickups sounded better than this dimebucker, i eventually traded the whole guitar in with the dimebucker pickup in it to a local music store for an amp.. What a huge disappointment that was..

yer I wouldnt mind so much but not exactly a cheap guitar, RG1570 prestige, it wasnt muddy either, its actually crystal clear, just really weak and thin.

QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Aug 25 2008, 02:17 PM) *
you might wanna try reversing the polarity (i think thats what you call it) where you put the black wire where the red wire is or vice versa, the wires arent always red and black thats just an example but you understand right?

yup I tried that sad.gif

QUOTE (Oxac @ Aug 26 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Does it cancel hum correctly?

yup as I said above, crystal clear just no ouput, I`ve since been searching and found a few more reviews where people had experienced the same as me from the Dimebucker, never mind smile.gif

I`ve decided to do exactly what Ivan suggested, I`ve oredered a couple of Kent Armstrong pups, I put KA`s in my Jackson and I was really happy with them, so I went with a tried and tested (for me) pup in the end smile.gif Gone for the Bridge Super Distortion and the "Rocker" in the Neck smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:17 PM