4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Facebook Or Twitter For Musicians
Taka Perry
Sep 17 2013, 12:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 09:38 PM) *
What are the advantages of various sites for someone like me who's just out to practice and perhaps show off my progress?

That's a very broad question to answer smile.gif Maybe you could use it to post some YouTube videos of you playing or perhaps letting people know about new gear/techniques you're doing smile.gif I think whatever level someone is at, it is important that they develop a personality as a musician.

This goes a bit broader, but I think that if someone is in a band, it is always good for that person to have their own Facebook page to give them more identity as an individual. Being known as John Petrucci has a lot of advantages pver bein known as just 'Dream Theater's Guitarist'.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 02:54 PM
Instructor
Mate - the thing goes like this wink.gif If you are willing to promote yourself as a 'brand' social media can become your friend. The big question is, what would you like people to perceive you as - what does your brand do? and who do you want to reach? and why do you want to reach them?

For instance, my personal artist page - which, to my shame, has been a bit neglected lately, was created for the sole purpose of letting people know about my activity as an artist in the various projects that I have and am activating in smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2013, 03:06 PM
Instructor
My answer is also BOTH!! I have been using facebook for many years an give a good use to it. In the last months I discovered the sense of twitter, I had the account since 2011 but I rarely post there. Nowadays I'm trying to use it many times a day. I think that Facebook should be actualized twice a day, and twitter is the "minute by minute" of the musician. You can contact different people with them so both are important to use.

Follow me: @gabileopardi smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 03:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 17 2013, 02:06 PM) *
My answer is also BOTH!! I have been using facebook for many years an give a good use to it. In the last months I discovered the sense of twitter, I had the account since 2011 but I rarely post there. Nowadays I'm trying to use it many times a day. I think that Facebook should be actualized twice a day, and twitter is the "minute by minute" of the musician. You can contact different people with them so both are important to use.

Follow me: @gabileopardi smile.gif

Looks like I'm missing out with not using Twitter, eh? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 17 2013, 04:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 17 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Looks like I'm missing out with not using Twitter, eh? biggrin.gif

YES!!
dude, I totally suspect that certain DJ's who play new bands favour those bands who they can mention directly on twitter as it also helps their own self promotion.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 05:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 17 2013, 03:29 PM) *
YES!!
dude, I totally suspect that certain DJ's who play new bands favour those bands who they can mention directly on twitter as it also helps their own self promotion.

Uh oh - you are so right, now that I think of it... pff, thanks mate!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 19 2013, 05:15 AM
GMC:er
Honestly, GMC is the perfect place for that kind of thing smile.gif FACEBOOK/TWITTER can be a good way to follow bands/brands/etc. that you like, to get it all in one spot and such. But for what your talking about, youtube for vid hosting and GMC for sharing progress is a great combo smile.gif I'd say dip your toe in to Facebook/twitter for giggles and see what you think..

This is entirely separate from what Taka started out with in the thread though. In terms of Social Media for the purpose of PROMOTION OF YOUR MUSIC and such, it's more about coverage. Leaving off one of the major social media outlets is just shooting yourself in the foot. But it seems folks are mixing their personal use of social media with their Pro/Semi Pro use of Social Media which are two very separate things IMHO smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 07:38 AM) *
What are the advantages of various sites for someone like me who's just out to practice and perhaps show off my progress?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2013, 07:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2013, 04:15 AM) *
Honestly, GMC is the perfect place for that kind of thing smile.gif FACEBOOK/TWITTER can be a good way to follow bands/brands/etc. that you like, to get it all in one spot and such. But for what your talking about, youtube for vid hosting and GMC for sharing progress is a great combo smile.gif I'd say dip your toe in to Facebook/twitter for giggles and see what you think..

This is entirely separate from what Taka started out with in the thread though. In terms of Social Media for the purpose of PROMOTION OF YOUR MUSIC and such, it's more about coverage. Leaving off one of the major social media outlets is just shooting yourself in the foot. But it seems folks are mixing their personal use of social media with their Pro/Semi Pro use of Social Media which are two very separate things IMHO smile.gif

Todd

Todd is right - on FB, you will probably encounter a lot of folks that can throw mean stuff at you, simply because they can't do more and they are living frustrated lives behind a computer. But, in my opinion, you should try everything smile.gif It's always cool to fish for reactions and opinions, but! BUT! Never ever, let yourself put down by mean people - you have no reason to, as I have seen you are steadily growing into a fine player!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 21 2013, 01:07 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 15 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Both Facebook and Twitter are Killing Music.

Think about it.

Agree'd

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 22 2013, 11:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2013, 02:15 PM) *

Todd

So, what you are saying is that it is better to be on a bunch of social networks than to focus all your energy into one or two? I think I will do that, and use something like Hootsuite to manage it. I still do have a website, so I think that it is a good idea to have that as my central 'hub' on the internet. The website also has links to all the networks I'm on, so if someone goes to the website, there's a good chance they'll be on at least one of them.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2013, 04:41 PM) *
Todd is right - on FB, you will probably encounter a lot of folks that can throw mean stuff at you, simply because they can't do more and they are living frustrated lives behind a computer. But, in my opinion, you should try everything smile.gif It's always cool to fish for reactions and opinions, but! BUT! Never ever, let yourself put down by mean people - you have no reason to, as I have seen you are steadily growing into a fine player!

Yes, I used to take criticism and negative stuff personally, but frankly now I don't care. If they don't like my music that is fine and I respect that, but then they shouldn't feel the need to have to tell me that its bad. smile.gif

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 21 2013, 10:07 PM) *
Agree'd

I think it's not Twitter and Facebook that are killing music, but it's the massive amount of disrespectful users around these social networks that ruin music. Honestly, if Facebook and Twitter was full of people like here at GMC, it would be a great tool, and you'd be able to develop friendships with people through yours or each others music.

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 22 2013, 01:10 PM
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 22 2013, 10:21 AM) *
I think it's not Twitter and Facebook that are killing music, but it's the massive amount of disrespectful users around these social networks that ruin music. Honestly, if Facebook and Twitter was full of people like here at GMC, it would be a great tool, and you'd be able to develop friendships with people through yours or each others music.

I don't think it's one or the other, Facebook and Twitter users are a symbiotic downward spiral which thrives on competitive shallowness in any field. Many people use Facebook to measure themselves against others, many also do that with youtube. Sure you can try to argue that some people use it responsibly but that doesn't make it much better. It's like saying that newspapers are informative because they sometimes include factual information, when the reality is that the amount of such information is lost in a sea of exformation(yea it's a word). Also the way everything is angled on the internet, newspapers, tv, whatever social media you want is to an insane degree. People do 1000 takes on a song and edit the hell out of it to "look good" and get a higher social networking "ranking". It's all politics/sociology, and in the end I can't support it.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

"We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

-John Swinton (ex-New York Times)

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Sep 22 2013, 01:12 PM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 22 2013, 05:04 PM
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 05:10 AM) *
I don't think it's one or the other, Facebook and Twitter users are a symbiotic downward spiral which thrives on competitive shallowness in any field. Many people use Facebook to measure themselves against others, many also do that with youtube. Sure you can try to argue that some people use it responsibly but that doesn't make it much better. It's like saying that newspapers are informative because they sometimes include factual information, when the reality is that the amount of such information is lost in a sea of exformation(yea it's a word). Also the way everything is angled on the internet, newspapers, tv, whatever social media you want is to an insane degree. People do 1000 takes on a song and edit the hell out of it to "look good" and get a higher social networking "ranking". It's all politics/sociology, and in the end I can't support it.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

"We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

-John Swinton (ex-New York Times)

And I thought I was a little dark wink.gif

"Facebook and Twitter users are a symbiotic downward spiral which thrives on competitive shallowness in any field."
That's a great line - I'm definitely using it!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2013, 08:34 AM
Instructor
Dark? I say that these were images I could see in Dante's Inferno laugh.gif

Now, social media has it's pros and cons - if it weren't for these things, music wouldn't've been able to roam at the level it does today. You wouldn't have the possibility to get out there and make yourself heard through your music, so I think this is a major plus. Now, every wood has its dry branches, so ignoring what you dislike and learning how to use things to your advantage, would be the way to go here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 30 2013, 09:15 AM
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 22 2013, 02:10 PM) *

Totally agree with you, my northern pale friend wink.gif

I would'nt say that music was better in times before internet hysteria, but there was a filter - there were more quality artists who could gain commercial succes just because of their musicianship and less artists that don't deserve such respect , like in today's age...
You had to be REALLY, REALLY GOOD to make something of yourself in pre- internet age...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Sep 30 2013, 09:17 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 30 2013, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 30 2013, 08:15 AM) *
Totally agree with you, my northern pale friend wink.gif

I would'nt say that music was better in times before internet hysteria, but there was a filter - there were more quality artists who could gain commercial succes just because of their musicianship and less artists that don't deserve such respect , like in today's age...
You had to be REALLY, REALLY GOOD to make something of yourself in pre- internet age...

Slav - I think that it's somewhat the same smile.gif You have to be really good to stand out from the huge mass of people who put their music out there - I think it's actually even more complicated, due to the huge amount of information.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 30 2013, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 30 2013, 01:15 AM) *

I wouldn't go that far.
As one who's been involved with learning, performing, recording, teaching and generally making a living in music since before the 'internet age' I can tell you that there was just as much shite produced and thrown out there then as there is now. It just gets seen/heard quicker, easier and more ubiquitously now. It seems(?) like it sticks around longer because it's so easy to archive and it's archived by so many. Consequently it makes it into the mainstream view and consciousness relatively quickly because so many see it almost instantaneously. In the old days if say the new Deep Purple record sucked, it would never get past the first round of judges: rockers, rock radio DJs and the guys behind the counter at the record store. Your parents and/or ad execs would never get exposed to it and it just faded away to be forgotten forever. On the other hand a record like Tommy or Nevermind or Joshua Tree or Van Halen 1 continued to become more popular with a more varied demographic until it essentially kinda re-routed pop music and even culture to some degree. *Those are just examples - whether you personally like those albums or not is immaterial.

The 'filter' was the slower speed at which information was disseminated. Good stuff kept going and crap burned itself out.
Another example: in 1973 (among many many many others) these four records were released - Floyd's Dark side of the Moon, Zep's Houses of the Holy the De Franco Family's Heartbeat, it's a Lovebeat and Clint Holmes' Playground in My Mind. I'm sure we all know two of those but all were 'hits'.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 2 2013, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Oct 2 2013, 09:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2013, 01:52 AM) *
Slav - I think that it's somewhat the same smile.gif You have to be really good to stand out from the huge mass of people who put their music out there - I think it's actually even more complicated, due to the huge amount of information.

I wish it was as simple as you practice your instrument, get good at it. Write music, put out a CD, and then people who like it can get it. It can be so exhausting managing multiple social profiles and keeping yourself 'up to date' on the internet. mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2013, 11:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 2 2013, 08:43 AM) *
I wish it was as simple as you practice your instrument, get good at it. Write music, put out a CD, and then people who like it can get it. It can be so exhausting managing multiple social profiles and keeping yourself 'up to date' on the internet. mellow.gif

I always tell myself that I will have a day, dedicated to that ... or at least half a day sad.gif Never actually have time to do it as I'd wish!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 2 2013, 04:27 PM
That's why the big pro bands still have promo people - agents, managers, press agents, etc. and the smaller acts have 'street teams' (big ones have those too).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 2 2013, 04:28 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 3 2013, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 2 2013, 08:43 AM) *

Yup, that's why I don't bother with it. When I get good enough to start putting out music I'm gonna have several songs ready to be released periodically as well as many videos produced and at least one ready cd available for "pay what you like all the money goes to charity". By then, I'll probably hire someone to do the social networking thing for me, the shameless self-promotion thing. I guess everyone is different tho and have different goals. For me it comes down to that, what is my goal... My goal is to share music and communicate with others through it. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it SHOULDN'T be a product. So I shamelessly write whatever I want and if two people like it out of hundreds who listen, that's awesome. If nobody likes it, I'm fine with that too. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:35 AM