Ozzfest
VinceG
Mar 31 2007, 08:35 PM
GMC:er
So yea if you havent heard already, its free. Bands are up and tour dates start rolling over the summer. I wasnt a huge Ozzfest fan, actually I hate it because of the shitty bands playing there and the occasion Maiden Priest line up. This year though, a couple of bands cought my attention and I guesse im going after all. Behemoth, Nile, 3 inches of blood all playing on 2nd stage. Prolly not going to main stage since most if not all are just shitty imo, yes including ozzy. From the way he acted Heaven and hell, its like he owns Black Sabbath. Iommi owns Sabbath not Ozzy. Dio better than Ozzy anyway.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 1 2007, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Mar 31 2007, 03:35 PM) *
So yea if you havent heard already, its free. Bands are up and tour dates start rolling over the summer. I wasnt a huge Ozzfest fan, actually I hate it because of the shitty bands playing there and the occasion Maiden Priest line up. This year though, a couple of bands cought my attention and I guesse im going after all. Behemoth, Nile, 3 inches of blood all playing on 2nd stage. Prolly not going to main stage since most if not all are just shitty imo, yes including ozzy. From the way he acted Heaven and hell, its like he owns Black Sabbath. Iommi owns Sabbath not Ozzy. Dio better than Ozzy anyway.

Ozzy picks better guitarists than Tony picks singers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
BalysLTU
Apr 1 2007, 08:46 PM
OT: Black Sabbath Dio Years rock smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 3 2007, 08:15 AM
Sabbath still had a stronger career musically than Ozzy. After Rhoads was gone so was Ozzy's career. Sabbath never had a bad album in the belt.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 3 2007, 07:25 PM
OK, I had a MASSIVE post right here but I just deleted it, because I do not want to contribute to GMC becoming another childish, name-calling bitch session like some other guitar sites. But I feel obligated to say:

Opinion based: Black Sabbath with Dio should not even be considered the same band as Sabbath with Ozzy. Sabbath with Ozzy pioneered a genre and created some of the most memorable rock/metal songs of all time. Ozzy's solo stuff, with and without Randy, excluding some recent crap, was far superior to anything Dio ever put out.

Fact based: Studio albums made after Randy's death:
Bark at the Moon - Triple platinum
The Ultimate Sin - Double platinum
No Rest for the Wicked - Triple platinum
No More Tears - Quadruple platinum
Ozzmosis - Double platinum
Down to Earth - platinum

I certainly hope that someday I can have a career that is so over, I go platinum 15 times.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 3 2007, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 3 2007, 08:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 3 2007, 08:25 PM) *
OK, I had a MASSIVE post right here but I just deleted it, because I do not want to contribute to GMC becoming another childish, name-calling bitch session like some other guitar sites

LOL and I had a massive post myself earlier today but also deleted it for the very same reasons.

Anyway, glad you said something because there was a whole bunch of BS to debate.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 3 2007, 08:47 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The ONLY Reason im going is 3 inches of blood, Nile, and Behemoth. and some others, other than that, i never actually liked ozzfest to much

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 3 2007, 09:04 PM
I'm going 'cause it's a big free metal show with beer and chicks....gettin' my Beavis on. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 4 2007, 01:54 AM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 3 2007, 04:04 PM) *
I'm going 'cause it's a big free metal show with beer and chicks....gettin' my Beavis on. biggrin.gif

amen brother

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 4 2007, 02:12 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Apr 3 2007, 03:15 AM) *
Sabbath still had a stronger career musically than Ozzy. After Rhoads was gone so was Ozzy's career. Sabbath never had a bad album in the belt.

I'm not much for arguing, but I am a pretty big Sabbath fan, and I'd have to point out that Sabbath had 5 multi-platinum records with Ozzy and exactly one without him. In fact, nearly went two decades without a Platinum record until 1998 when the Reunion record went platinum - with Ozzy singing.

This is a guitar forum so I don't mind pointing out that Ozzy used some guy named Zak Wylde that might have been able to play a little bit.

As far as not having a bad album, even they say Forbidden sucks.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 4 2007, 03:55 AM
I used to go to Ozzfest occasionally.

You gotta admit, Ozzy can get guitar guys. Randy, Zakk, probably would have had Buckethead if he could get over the goofy stuff.

I fell asleep at Ozzfest one year during Tool's set. I wasn't even really drunk at that point. Maybe I should have been.

I saw the first Sabbath Ozzfest reunion, which was cool (and loud as f**k). Gotta love the fringes.

In '97 at Nissan Pavilion the crowd started pulling up the sod from the lawn during Pantera's set. Big chunks were sent flying forward from the lawn area into the pavilion, eventually making it to the stage. At one point Dimebag picked up a chunk to throw back and got clobbered by a 2'x2' chunk and knocked on his ass. Was a stressful set for me because I spent most of the time trying to keep my girlfriend (now wife) from getting clobbered.

I decided that Marilyn Manson isn't as fun in the daylight.

I missed Kittie. I did see Drain STH though. I dig chicks with guitars.

In my late 20's, I stopped going to the festival shows. I didn't enjoy sitting in 90+ degree heat drinking expensive bad beer anymore. And I got tired of being barfed on by teenagers that can't hold their alcohol.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 4 2007, 04:37 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Apr 3 2007, 10:55 PM) *
I used to go to Ozzfest occasionally.

You gotta admit, Ozzy can get guitar guys. Randy, Zakk, probably would have had Buckethead if he could get over the goofy stuff.

I fell asleep at Ozzfest one year during Tool's set. I wasn't even really drunk at that point. Maybe I should have been.

I saw the first Sabbath Ozzfest reunion, which was cool (and loud as f**k). Gotta love the fringes.

In '97 at Nissan Pavilion the crowd started pulling up the sod from the lawn during Pantera's set. Big chunks were sent flying forward from the lawn area into the pavilion, eventually making it to the stage. At one point Dimebag picked up a chunk to throw back and got clobbered by a 2'x2' chunk and knocked on his ass. Was a stressful set for me because I spent most of the time trying to keep my girlfriend (now wife) from getting clobbered.

I decided that Marilyn Manson isn't as fun in the daylight.

I missed Kittie. I did see Drain STH though. I dig chicks with guitars.

In my late 20's, I stopped going to the festival shows. I didn't enjoy sitting in 90+ degree heat drinking expensive bad beer anymore. And I got tired of being barfed on by teenagers that can't hold their alcohol.

lol.. tool was hands down the worst live act I ever saw at Ozzfest and I've been to all of them.

Wait... Primus was pretty terrible too.

This post has been edited by brainlesswonder: Apr 4 2007, 04:38 AM

+Quote Post
Rock
Apr 4 2007, 06:04 AM
ok. I'm going to add my two cents here since I have seen Ozzy several times with and without Sabbath and I think he is phenomenol and have been a fan of Ozzy and Sabbath since the mid 70s. I'm 42 now. Although I have to say I have seen him a few times where his voice was marginal, he always has a kick ass band. No doubt about it. I saw him play with Randy for the Blizzard of Oz tour in Boston in 82. With that said, I did also see Black Sabbath with Dio in what they now call Heaven and Hell. 1980 to be exact. In my opinion, it is definitely a completely different band altogether and I would rather not here any Sabbath tunes because it is just not the same without Ozzy, but the tunes from Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules make this show a must see. I know, I was there. I guess they are getting up there in age, but I have tickets to see them in May and I expect it will be worth seeing. Not really sure they can top what they pulled off 27 years ago but I do know they will rock the house. I also have to give Iommi credit for keeping the band going in the early 80s when it could have just died completely. It provided me with an incredible memory that will last forever. There was nothing more that I wanted to see at that time was my favorite band with Ozzy, but at least I got the chance at 15 to see a bit of history in the making. For that I will be grateful forever!

As far as the name, who really cares. What it really comes down to is that Sharon, who by the way had an enormous impact on Ozzy coming back, is an incredible manager and she made certain Ozzy had the rights to the Black Sabbath name. If it were not for her, there would never have been a comeback or an Ozfest. Hats off to her for getting him back in the business and keeping him alive for that matter.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 4 2007, 01:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Ozzy always picked the greeatest guitasrists, Rhoads, Jake E Lee and Zakk Wylde. In my opinion it's only Jon Holmes who didn't stick out but on the other hand I belive he went all the way to copy the entire bunch of songs note for note and pulled it off. I may be wrong on that, feel free to correct me.
Being a guitarist myself Ozzy solo career has always been interesting to follow and Ozzy in Black Sabbath was just history in it's writing.

I think also Dio did a good job in Black Sabbath, but that felt like a different band already. Now it is, Heaven and Hell, but already back then I mean. He's adding his charcteristics, what can you say, also in Rainbow and while solo he made some master pieces with his fantastic voice, also interesting from a guitarists point of view... can't recall now who was playing guitar in the Holy diver album but just listen to "Straight through the heart", some great riffs right there and not very hard to plasy either. Brilliant!

Rock on, and don't dis Ozzy! It will only proove you don't have a clue to what he archived. Have an opinion about him, fine, but don't say his career went down the drain or that he didn't contributed with his music, that's just ignorant.
And who knows, the Prince of f****** darkness might come to haunt you for it wink.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 5 2007, 06:20 AM
we all have our opinions and I could really agree to what most have said about Dio and Ozzy. It was just a personal preference and sorry if I may have offended anyone because I wasnt a huge fan of it till after Dio took Ozzy's spot for the band. Dont get me wrong, Black Sabbath Ozzy years was a benchmark for metal(doom metal). I think most of the reason being said is that Sabbath in the 80's didnt get much recognition as musicians because of Ozzy's career, I guesse his work from Sabbath was that groundbreaking that people forgot about Sabbath and followed Ozzy's solo career. Without the media on your side, you wont make it as an artist with platinum recording stuff. Records never mattered to me, so I could care less if ozzy had 15 plats.

I may have came hard to any ozzy fan on my first post, so I apologize.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 5 2007, 06:47 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Apr 5 2007, 01:20 AM) *
we all have our opinions and I could really agree to what most have said about Dio and Ozzy. It was just a personal preference and sorry if I may have offended anyone because I wasnt a huge fan of it till after Dio took Ozzy's spot for the band. Dont get me wrong, Black Sabbath Ozzy years was a benchmark for metal(doom metal). I think most of the reason being said is that Sabbath in the 80's didnt get much recognition as musicians because of Ozzy's career, I guesse his work from Sabbath was that groundbreaking that people forgot about Sabbath and followed Ozzy's solo career. Without the media on your side, you wont make it as an artist with platinum recording stuff. Records never mattered to me, so I could care less if ozzy had 15 plats.

I may have came hard to any ozzy fan on my first post, so I apologize.

I don't think you offended anyone. I think people were just pointing out that your 'career being over' comment was seriously incorrect - his career only elevated. As far as the "media" part goes, I'd have to disagree again as the "media" was firmly against Ozzy when his first solo material came out, he was - after all - destroying our kids.

Oddly enough, the "media" didn't take to Ozzy until after the Ozzbournes came out. Which, oddly enough, has the funniest line ever...

fucking bubbles? ...I'm the Prince of Fucking darkness.... I can't have fucking bubbles.

Here's a fun fact about the No More Tears record: Lemmy from Motorhead helped write some of the songs and states that he made more money off the Royalties from Momma I'm Coming Home then off his entire career in Motorhead. Now, that's pretty impressive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:41 PM