Dunlop Max Grip Jazz Iii Pick
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 07:41 AM
GMC:er
I've been experimenting with guitar picks, and I ordered a bunch of different guitar picks, and there's one in particular that I'd like to discuss. Dunlop is famous for their tortex picks, but I got a Max Grip Jazz III pick. It costed me $1 mellow.gif well, I only get like two picks after two months, even though I don't break many picks, so this time since I had a bonus from where I work (picks really interest me tongue.gif)

Its a really tiny pick, but its really dense. Its a carbon fibre pick. You know it means business when you hold it tongue.gif Its got numerous little grip marks, the grip is remarkable on that tiny thing.

Its kind of a dark greenish brown color with a pretty sharp point. Says "Dunlop USA" on one side and "Max Grip Jazz III" on the other.

Even though its hard to get used to at first, specially if you're like me who always goes for the bigger picks, but its proving good. I think it was worth the money smile.gif

The other picks I bought include a Musician's Gear Premium Heavy pick and a Clayton David Bollt pick. both of those costed me $0.5

Here are some pictures:

If you've used any of these, do comment smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jun 27 2013, 10:16 AM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2013, 09:32 AM
Instructor
I would definitely go for that Dunlop!! The rest are just pretty smile.gif But pretty does not fill in for good control, power and precision! Trust your instincts and see what pick gives you the best results in terms of comfort, control, speed, tone and precision!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I did buy a bunch of picks, but the Dunlop one is in my favorites now tongue.gif I keep my favorite picks in a small pouch which fits snug in my pocket laugh.gif but I'm still getting used to the size. And before this, I never had any carbon fiber picks, its really solid smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 27 2013, 12:03 PM
After being a long-time jazz iii regular and XL user, and having tried the petrucci jazz iii's too, the max-grip is (and has been for a few months now) the pick I use now.

Haven't tried the rest.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 12:14 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Jun 27 2013, 11:03 AM) *
After being a long-time jazz iii regular and XL user, and having tried the petrucci jazz iii's too, the max-grip is (and has been for a few months now) the pick I use now.

Haven't tried the rest.

It plays amazingly accurate, although I am having some difficulty with the size of the pick tongue.gif did you have any problems with the size of the pick?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 27 2013, 01:49 PM
I have and use that small Jazz III and its the only pick that size that manages to stay firm in my fingers other than standard size larger picks...I keep both with me as I tend to alternate for some reason..depending on my mood rather than playability. smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 27 2013, 07:52 PM
Dunlop Jazz iii are the picks I used and I love them.I tried the max grip ones and didnt really like them as much. I am going to order John Petrucci jazz iii to see how I like them.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 27 2013, 08:04 PM
Over the years I switched a few times. I started with the junkie starter picks that everyone seems to just give away to test gear. From there I came across Gator Grips, loved them never had a single issue with them sliding or anything. But tho it's good doesn't mean I couldn't find better. So I switched to Jazz IIIs, I used them for a few years until Todd talked highly of sharp tipped picks. So I bought some Dunlop Sharps prefer the 1.5s but they only had 1.0mm last time I went. I've tried V-Picks as well, good quality but mine felt slick (Tho I tried someone elses and it didn't feel that way.) But now I'm back to sharps.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 27 2013, 12:49 PM) *
I have and use that small Jazz III and its the only pick that size that manages to stay firm in my fingers other than standard size larger picks...I keep both with me as I tend to alternate for some reason..depending on my mood rather than playability. smile.gif

Ahh. Still I'd rather not use such a tiny pick if I'm playing rhythm, I'd use it any time for soloing biggrin.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 27 2013, 06:52 PM) *
Dunlop Jazz iii are the picks I used and I love them.I tried the max grip ones and didnt really like them as much. I am going to order John Petrucci jazz iii to see how I like them.

I'm interested in a Petrucci jazz ii pick too! Do write how you found it when you get it smile.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 27 2013, 07:04 PM) *
Over the years I switched a few times. I started with the junkie starter picks that everyone seems to just give away to test gear. From there I came across Gator Grips, loved them never had a single issue with them sliding or anything. But tho it's good doesn't mean I couldn't find better. So I switched to Jazz IIIs, I used them for a few years until Todd talked highly of sharp tipped picks. So I bought some Dunlop Sharps prefer the 1.5s but they only had 1.0mm last time I went. I've tried V-Picks as well, good quality but mine felt slick (Tho I tried someone elses and it didn't feel that way.) But now I'm back to sharps.

Can you link me to some of the picks you like with sharp tips? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 27 2013, 08:38 PM
No problem mate. I just ordered them of Ebay and should have them for the beginning of next week.A will let you know

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 27 2013, 09:20 PM
Alright smile.gif Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2013, 04:33 AM
Good idea wink.gif I did something similar a while back searching for the perfect pick for myself. I tried every single pick in the pick box at my local store. It took quite a while but it was worth it. smile.gif I've kept on trying new picks as I come across them and recently started getting in to picks my locals stores don't carry. It's a worthwhile endeavor to try as many as possible!

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2013, 07:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 27 2013, 11:14 AM) *
It plays amazingly accurate, although I am having some difficulty with the size of the pick tongue.gif did you have any problems with the size of the pick?

With those JP's - I did laugh.gif I had the impression I can't really pick it up fast enough... I pushed the Rec button in the DAW and got uber frustrated because I couldn't pick up the pick in time to start playing on the first beat. I got used to them in a bit of time but now they feel pretty darn good!!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 08:31 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 28 2013, 03:33 AM) *
Good idea wink.gif I did something similar a while back searching for the perfect pick for myself. I tried every single pick in the pick box at my local store. It took quite a while but it was worth it. smile.gif I've kept on trying new picks as I come across them and recently started getting in to picks my locals stores don't carry. It's a worthwhile endeavor to try as many as possible!

Todd

Yeah, my local store doesn't have that many picks either, and if they do, they're waayyy overpriced mellow.gif so I get better prices by ordering online, and sometimes when I buy my D'addario strings, they send one or two complementary picks biggrin.gif Also, I get them right at my doorstep tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 28 2013, 06:36 AM) *
With those JP's - I did laugh.gif I had the impression I can't really pick it up fast enough... I pushed the Rec button in the DAW and got uber frustrated because I couldn't pick up the pick in time to start playing on the first beat. I got used to them in a bit of time but now they feel pretty darn good!!

Exactly, I'm slowly starting to feel more comfortable with the pick biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jun 28 2013, 08:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 28 2013, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 27 2013, 11:14 AM) *

The regular jazz iii? It used to bother me, but now I'm better at gripping the pick with the right tension (depending on what technique I'm using) and holding it in such a way that the size doesn't bother me.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 02:54 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Jun 28 2013, 01:38 PM) *
The regular jazz iii? It used to bother me, but now I'm better at gripping the pick with the right tension (depending on what technique I'm using) and holding it in such a way that the size doesn't bother me.

Ohh, because I guess the Maxgrip jazz iii and the regular one are same in size tongue.gif I'm still getting used to it anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 28 2013, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 28 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Ohh, because I guess the Maxgrip jazz iii and the regular one are same in size tongue.gif I'm still getting used to it anyway smile.gif

Well, the XL is what I used to use and it's as large as your average plec - the standard jazz iii felt too small back then.

I was referring to going from the jazz iii XL -> jazz iii.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 28 2013, 07:02 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Jun 28 2013, 05:11 PM) *
Well, the XL is what I used to use and it's as large as your average plec - the standard jazz iii felt too small back then.

I was referring to going from the jazz iii XL -> jazz iii.

Ah, now I get it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 29 2013, 01:00 AM
Also, what I should've said to begin with, is that the extra grip on the max-grip allowed me to become comfortable with a relatively small pick.

I haven't tried playing with a regular jazz iii recently, but the max-grip is definately my favourite version of the jazz iii.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 29 2013, 04:54 AM
I've yet to try the others, but I'm particularly interested in Petrucci Jazz III picks, so if I can get my hands on that, I'll get it next smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:14 AM