3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Why Do Some Guitarists Become Globally Famous?, and others just as good or even better technically are not much?
Daniel Realpe
Dec 31 2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor
what are your thoughts on this?

-----------------

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 06:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 31 2009, 06:28 PM) *
what are your thoughts on this?

-----------------

Marketing is what I think. Emir's thread on illegal downloading leads me to believe that a WELL PAYING career in music is going to be harder than ever......very discouraging but I think it is the reality of the world we live in. Read this article.....

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=132721

I think that unortunately talent has VERY little to do with success in the music business........ sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 31 2009, 07:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think talent has about 10%, willingness to sell out Yourself to crappy music 40%, knowing the right people 30% and the looks 20%... maybe I've forgotten something here??? And btw. I dont think Steve Vai is making THAT big money either (of course for beeing a guitar player he is) The problem here is that nowadays guitar players is out of style, You shall go for some speedy-words instead of speedy licks. <preferrable on top of some sampled noise that a cocaine-addicted producer put together in-between partying with his hip-hop friends!!! laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 07:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 31 2009, 07:08 PM) *
I think talent has about 10%, willingness to sell out Yourself to crappy music 40%, knowing the right people 30% and the looks 20%... maybe I've forgotten something here??? And btw. I dont think Steve Vai is making THAT big money either (of course for beeing a guitar player he is) The problem here is that nowadays guitar players is out of style, You shall go for some speedy-words instead of speedy licks. <preferrable on top of some sampled noise that a cocaine-addicted producer put together in-between partying with his hip-hop friends!!! laugh.gif

//Staffay
Will you be my manager Staffy..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 31 2009, 07:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
Michael Lee Firkins is also a very famous guitar player. tongue.gif

Technique is not so important. Being able to make music that reach people emotionally (be it by being amazed, sad, happy, etc etc) is another thing. You need to make the music that people need to hear at the right moment, looking the way people want you to look right then, and meet the right people who can help you there. Music is different now than the 80's, so guitar shredders won't be world famous in the same way anyhow now tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 31 2009, 07:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Dec 31 2009, 07:10 PM) *
Will you be my manager Staffy..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oki, I go for that... (but first I have some things to fix... an account on Virgin Islands, some undercover company stuff and a trip to Columbia to get some inspiration for my new artist... laugh.gif )

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 08:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 31 2009, 07:49 PM) *
Oki, I go for that... (but first I have some things to fix... an account on Virgin Islands, some undercover company stuff and a trip to Columbia to get some inspiration for my new artist... laugh.gif )

Let me know when you are ready and bring me back some "inspiration" from columbia too....... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Dec 31 2009, 08:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have heard technically great, and I mean great players who imitate (and even exceed) the skill level of some of the greatest
known original bands and players, but who have no real fire in their own originals. Originality and fire (if you know what I mean),
as well as the ability to perform it all consistently in live shows is what is necessary. This is what will enthuse both audiences and
in turn the big players (labels & investors). If you read in depth about some of the greatest bands, when they were up and coming,
it was their ability to enthuse large crowds that gained them popularity and ultimately got them on top - this comes first before the
album sales. Did you think album sales came first before fame? I mean, requiring 50 takes for one recording and expecting to succeed
by album sales alone without the preceding qualities is not reasonable. If you were an investor, Who would you invest in? "Nirvana,"
who performs as well live as on their recordings and has developed a real following, or the "No One Knows Them" band whose skill
level seems far greater but are far less known because they can't cut it live, but are only heard by recordings? As far as looks go,
most of the best rock bands of all times have some of the ugliest, meanest looking dudes I ever seen. Maybe pop star managers
rely more on looks than on talent and so, shallow tunes beget reliance on mediocre minds. But, on a larger scale I personally think
much more of the world around us. Who will attest any differently? I believe that we have a vastly large audience that remains
untapped on a global scale here in the present day. Consider all the people you know who feel the same, and all the people they
know, etc., etc. Rap sucks - suckers (is that PG enough?)! Hope so - I'm just speaking freely here- just like the music - good or bad.
Guess I've said enough for today. I really like many of the the topics you guys post on here - all of which relates to our interests.
Hang loose guys... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 31 2009, 08:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Dec 31 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Let me know when you are ready and bring me back some "inspiration" from columbia too....... laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've already ordered the ticket, but unfortunately its not gonna be until the end of next year since the CBS/Virgin/Warner guy's have booked everything else in advance.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Dec 31 2009, 08:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Dec 31 2009, 08:16 PM) *

I'm assuming you mean cofee cool.gif

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 31 2009, 08:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (intemperateControl @ Dec 31 2009, 08:17 PM) *
I have heard technically great, and I mean great players who imitate (and even exceed) the skill level of some of the greatest
known original bands and players, but who have no real fire in their own originals. Originality and fire (if you know what I mean),
as well as the ability to perform it all consistently in live shows is what is necessary. This is what will enthuse both audiences and
in turn the big players (labels & investors). If you read in depth about some of the greatest bands, when they were up and coming,
it was their ability to enthuse large crowds that gained them popularity and ultimately got them on top - this comes first before the
album sales. Did you think album sales came first before fame? I mean, requiring 50 takes for one recording and expecting to succeed
by album sales alone without the preceding qualities is not reasonable. If you were an investor, Who would you invest in? "Nirvana,"
who performs as well live as on their recordings and has developed a real following, or the "No One Knows Them" band whose skill
level seems far greater but are far less known because they can't cut it live, but are only heard by recordings? As far as looks go,
most of the best rock bands of all times have some of the ugliest, meanest looking dudes I ever seen. Maybe pop star managers
rely more on looks than on talent and so, shallow tunes beget reliance on mediocre minds. But, on a larger scale I personally think
much more of the world around us. Who will attest any differently? I believe that we have a vastly large audience that remains
untapped on a global scale here in the present day. Consider all the people you know who feel the same, and all the people they
know, etc., etc. Rap sucks - suckers (is that PG enough?)! Hope so - I'm just speaking freely here- just like the music - good or bad.
Guess I've said enough for today. I really like many of the the topics you guys post on here - all of which relates to our interests.
Hang loose guys... smile.gif

Hmmm, I think once in a while the record company's goes for the "bad boy's" to keep some sort of Rock'n'Roll image, also it has to do with general trends in both society and music. For instance, every 10-15 years or so there is a boost for hard rock/heavy metal, so the timing issue is of most importance as well imo. (and in-between we have Milli-Vanillis, Rap-raps, Spice Girls and some Elton John wanna-bees...)

QUOTE (Boson @ Dec 31 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Of course! Do they sell anything else in Colombia???? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Dec 31 2009, 08:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 31 2009, 01:42 PM) *
Hmmm, I think once in a while the record company's goes for the "bad boy's" to keep some sort of Rock'n'Roll image, also it has to do with general trends in both society and music. For instance, every 10-15 years or so there is a boost for hard rock/heavy metal, so the timing issue is of most importance as well imo. (and in-between we have Milli-Vanillis, Rap-raps, Spice Girls and some Elton John wanna-bees...)

Of course! Do they sell anything else in Colombia???? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Great - thanks for finishing my thought. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I mean really. Staffy, you are the man! He's cool, you must admit... cool.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 08:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Boson @ Dec 31 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Of course coffee.....Preferably decaf....... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Dec 31 2009, 09:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Dec 31 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Of course coffee.....Preferably decaf....... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Decaf! Get the hell outta here!!! Anyway, Where will our next meeting
be taking place - aka the coffee thred... Decaf go home! Ha! biggrin.gif

Hey, no offense intended - you're one of the best guitarists on here.
But I mean hey, you need some caffeine to identify here, hahaha! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 31 2009, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (intemperateControl @ Dec 31 2009, 09:01 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (intemperateControl @ Dec 31 2009, 09:01 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 31 2009, 09:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
steve has been in the bus along time , played with alot of people , keeps his name and appearances out there.
I got the opportunity to talk to some signed bands a while back and was stuned to find out that they had been together for over seven years and just recently had their first radio hit. i believe longjevity( don't know if i spelled that right) is also just as important . that's why so many bands don't make it . Trying to find four guys or girls to stay togehter long enough to make it is extremely difficult
And i would like to ad : stage presence and showmanship go along way. I would of rather watched steve, it was much more enjoyable and i feel alot off good guitar players rely on just there playing to get the job done. That's what i mis the most about the metal shows i grew up with. ps. those shows went country

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 31 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 31 2009, 09:53 PM) *
steve has been in the bus along time , played with alot of people , keeps his name and appearances out there.
I got the opportunity to talk to some signed bands a while back and was stuned to find out that they had been together for over seven years and just recently had their first radio hit. i believe longjevity( don't know if i spelled that right) is also just as important . that's why so many bands don't make it . Trying to find four guys or girls to stay togehter long enough to make it is extremely difficult
And i would like to ad : stage presence and showmanship go along way. I would of rather watched steve, it was much more enjoyable and i feel alot off good guitar players rely on just there playing to get the job done. That's what i mis the most about the metal shows i grew up with. ps. those shows went country

Good point about stage presence......I saw G3 with Satch, Vai and Yngwie. If I am in a car driving then Satch is what I want to listen too......but live Vai wins hands down......although Yngwie was trying......he was killing me with those high kicks he was doing. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 31 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
thought this was sort -of interesting after i read this thread

opps forgot to add the line
http://new.music.yahoo.com/u2/news/u2-tour...erica--61874534

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Dec 31 2009, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
Fusar
Jan 1 2010, 05:18 AM
GMC:er
For me it's destiny wink.gif
Some people are more talented on playing guitar, others are not, some are lazy, some play all day long. If you work hard, you'll certainly reach a great level of technique.
But then, how much soul can you put into your playing? I think most of people who were/are in real troubles have more to say to the world through their instruments than others. Do you know the right people to promote you? Do you feel comfortable on stage? You can spin this chain of questions so long...there are so much factors that play there, so for me, everyone who has this passion for music can be a great musician (the one more than others), but there can be only one inconvenient in the chain and you won't be famous...
I don't think I express myself that good way, but I hope you understand what I wanna say!

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:49 PM