9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Degroot Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Jul 18 2012, 04:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 16 2012, 06:01 AM) *
Here is an example of the first ideas I have come up with. Playing with a cleaner tone than I usually do.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/jazz-funk

You did a good job! I would suggest to keep it less busy and use more chord tones! I will add my track in a few hours to give you more ideas!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 21 2012, 06:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 16 2012, 06:01 AM) *
Here is an example of the first ideas I have come up with. Playing with a cleaner tone than I usually do.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/jazz-funk

I actually have decided to make your assignment more interesting and challenging! smile.gif
I would like you to create a solo using only 3rd and 7th you are free to do any octaves! For this assignment I am not gonna give you any ideas and won't add my take so you are on your own!
This exercise will improve your chord tones
The best part of this exercise is because you don't have a lot of notes to work with you have to build your solo starting with only a few notes and develop it towards the end also in order to compensate notes shortage you will have to use different grooves! smile.gif
Try it out! This exercise will change the way you think! smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 21 2012, 07:36 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 21 2012, 05:20 AM) *
I actually have decided to make your assignment more interesting and challenging! smile.gif
I would like you to create a solo using only 3rd and 7th you are free to do any octaves! For this assignment I am not gonna give you any ideas and won't add my take so you are on your own!
This exercise will improve your chord tones
The best part of this exercise is because you don't have a lot of notes to work with you have to build your solo starting with only a few notes and develop it towards the end also in order to compensate notes shortage you will have to use different grooves! smile.gif
Try it out! This exercise will change the way you think! smile.gif

This should be interesting for sure! I will start this new assignment soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 22 2012, 12:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 21 2012, 06:36 AM) *

Sounds great! I am looking forward to hear your take! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 31 2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 21 2012, 06:36 AM) *

Hi! I just wanted to follow up and see if you have any questions or need help with anything! Let me know!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 31 2012, 07:14 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hi! I've been working on it. I should have something soon. It is a difficult assignment for me but it is teaching me to land on those 3rd and 7th tones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 31 2012, 08:51 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

This assignment was more difficult than I thought it would be. I had to think more about what note I was playing. smile.gif Hopefully I'm on the right track with this.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/solo-3rd-and-7th-chord-tones

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 1 2012, 05:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 31 2012, 07:51 PM) *
This assignment was more difficult than I thought it would be. I had to think more about what note I was playing. smile.gif Hopefully I'm on the right track with this.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/solo-3rd-and-7th-chord-tones

You are on the right track for sure! Try to leave more space in between and some chord tones were a little bit off but you are getting there! smile.gif I think a little more practice and it will be perfect!
Good job!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 1 2012, 08:02 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 1 2012, 04:58 AM) *
You are on the right track for sure! Try to leave more space in between and some chord tones were a little bit off but you are getting there! smile.gif I think a little more practice and it will be perfect!
Good job!

Glad to hear that. The notes that are off are pretty noticeable to me now. I will practice those thing you mentioned and record a new take soon!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 1 2012, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 1 2012, 07:02 AM) *
Glad to hear that. The notes that are off are pretty noticeable to me now. I will practice those thing you mentioned and record a new take soon!!

Sounds good! I will join you next week and will give you some more ideas! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 8 2012, 09:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 1 2012, 07:02 AM) *

Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Should I record a track to give you ideas? Let me know!
P.S. I would rather you to do it by yourself but if you are having troubles with anything let me know! wink.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 9 2012, 07:56 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 8 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Should I record a track to give you ideas? Let me know!
P.S. I would rather you to do it by yourself but if you are having troubles with anything let me know! wink.gif

I'm having some troubles with it. The major problem is that I had transcribed some of the chords wrong. I struggle with theory and it takes me a long time to figure it out.

I practiced around with it for a couple hours today. I agree I would like to figure it out for myself. Its coming along better now, although it is hard for me to create anything interesting with 3rd and 7ths. I'm going to try and record something tomorrow and you can instruct me from there. smile.gif

P.S. I also had a question about 6th chords. Is it normal to play the 7th over these chords?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 10 2012, 06:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Ok, here is a new take. I tried to leave breathing room so its not busy sounding. I think something might sound a little off in the end with the arpeggio but not completely sure!

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/solo-3rd-and-7th-chord-tones-1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 10 2012, 06:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 9 2012, 06:56 PM) *
I'm having some troubles with it. The major problem is that I had transcribed some of the chords wrong. I struggle with theory and it takes me a long time to figure it out.

I practiced around with it for a couple hours today. I agree I would like to figure it out for myself. Its coming along better now, although it is hard for me to create anything interesting with 3rd and 7ths. I'm going to try and record something tomorrow and you can instruct me from there. smile.gif

P.S. I also had a question about 6th chords. Is it normal to play the 7th over these chords?

Hi! I am glad you want to figure it out yourself! It is a very good challenge I understand it is hard to be creative but while you are doing it you are learning chord tones! smile.gif And it is very important!
You can play 7th over 6th chord just make sure it is in a different octave so it doesn't clash!
Also 6th chord is a major or minor triad with 6 in it so you can pretend that 6 is 13 and assume that there is 7 - 9 and 11 in this chord! smile.gif
Let me know if it makes sense if not I will explain it in more details!
I will start adding theory to your mentoring program! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 10 2012, 06:50 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Sounds great Alex! I definitely need to add theory study into my mentoring program. I'm also going to be out of town a lot coming up so it will be good to work on that side of things since I won't be able to record guitar.

P.S. I posted a new take for 3rd and 7th in case you missed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 11 2012, 10:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 10 2012, 05:50 PM) *
Sounds great Alex! I definitely need to add theory study into my mentoring program. I'm also going to be out of town a lot coming up so it will be good to work on that side of things since I won't be able to record guitar.

P.S. I posted a new take for 3rd and 7th in case you missed it.

You did a great job on the take! Sounds very nice! smile.gif
So let's get into the theory:)
I would like to start getting into Harmonic minor:)
SO I have a little pop quiz!:)
-Please harmonize E harmonic minor scale using triads and seventh chords
-What harmonic minor would you play over this chord progression:
Ami - C - F - E7

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 13 2012, 05:58 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 11 2012, 09:21 PM) *
You did a great job on the take! Sounds very nice! smile.gif
So let's get into the theory:)
I would like to start getting into Harmonic minor:)
SO I have a little pop quiz!:)
-Please harmonize E harmonic minor scale using triads and seventh chords
-What harmonic minor would you play over this chord progression:
Ami - C - F - E7

My best guess for using a harmonic minor scale over that progression would be: A harmonic minor

The scale has a G# in it which will not work over C.

I'm afraid I don't know how to build chords from E harmonic scale. Would I just harmonize the root to 3rd 5th and 7th from harmonic scale? Are there certain notes in the scale that I should use 7th and others that I should not?

E harmonic scale:
E F# G A B C D#

E= EGB
F#= F#AC
G= GBD#
etc...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 14 2012, 12:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 13 2012, 04:58 AM) *
My best guess for using a harmonic minor scale over that progression would be: A harmonic minor

The scale has a G# in it which will not work over C.

I'm afraid I don't know how to build chords from E harmonic scale. Would I just harmonize the root to 3rd 5th and 7th from harmonic scale? Are there certain notes in the scale that I should use 7th and others that I should not?

E harmonic scale:
E F# G A B C D#

E= EGB
F#= F#AC
G= GBD#
etc...

I would like you to build 7 chords yourself!!!
E= EGBD#
F#= F#ACE
G= GBD#F#
Etc.

This way you will really understand how harmonic minor works! Just do the notes for now and I will tell you the names of the chords after you are done! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 14 2012, 07:47 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
E harmonic scale:
E F# G A B C D#

E= EGBD#
F#= F#ACF#
G= GBD#F#
A= ACEG
B= BD#F#A
C= CEGB
D#= D#F#AC

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 14 2012, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 14 2012, 06:47 AM) *
E harmonic scale:
E F# G A B C D#

E= EGBD#
F#= F#ACF#
G= GBD#F#
A= ACEG
B= BD#F#A
C= CEGB
D#= D#F#AC

Perfect!
You made a typo on F# it is E not F#

So now the names:
Emi/maj7 - F#mi7b5 - Gmaj7#5 - Ami7 - B7 - Cmaj7 - D#dim7

So that means every time you will see any of those chords you can play E melodic minor!
Now I would like you to figure out what melodic minor you can play over II - V - I chord progression I gave you
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
Hint: There is more than one! smile.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:09 PM