Playin' The Changes (blues)?
leonard478
May 10 2013, 11:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
Question for you Mr Warnock! (or anybody else who has been through this!)

i've been practicing playing just the chord tones of a blues progression, but its quite difficult for me to keep it flowing smoothly all over the neck, ive been trying to do it one chord at a time, very slowly, just ascending, just decending , but i cant seem to fully get this skill under my fingers, any words of advice would greatly be appreciated! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
The Professor
May 10 2013, 11:42 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (leonard478 @ May 10 2013, 11:39 PM) *
Question for you Mr Warnock! (or anybody else who has been through this!)

i've been practicing playing just the chord tones of a blues progression, but its quite difficult for me to keep it flowing smoothly all over the neck, ive been trying to do it one chord at a time, very slowly, just ascending, just decending , but i cant seem to fully get this skill under my fingers, any words of advice would greatly be appreciated! smile.gif

Good question. I would say work 1 chord at a time, but improvise all over the neck on that chord. So try and move between fingerings, play on 1 string at a time, 2 strings. Just try and find all the notes for that chord all over the neck and be able to comfortably solo with those notes.

Then, do the same thing with the 2nd chord, blowing with it all over the neck. Then practice slowly moving between the two chords until they are comfortable.

Continue this process until you hit all the chords in the tune.

working on soloing with chord tones one chord at a time can really be helpful in this type of process.

Hope that helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 11 2013, 12:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is a great topic, I to am practicing hitting chord tones on the changes. I got a couple questions.
The way I been practicing is with a 3 chord progression and hitting the root note of each chord as its being played I also try to practice by hitting the 3rd sometime just to be able to be more comfertable at the changes and able to pick the noted I want to play when I want to play them. I was wondering, say your in c major, and your playing a 135 chord progression and the E Chord goes for 1 measure, would it work to play the e scale or arpeggio, and could you do this for each chord change if you got quik enough forthe changes?

+Quote Post
The Professor
May 11 2013, 07:25 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 11 2013, 12:33 AM) *
This is a great topic, I to am practicing hitting chord tones on the changes. I got a couple questions.
The way I been practicing is with a 3 chord progression and hitting the root note of each chord as its being played I also try to practice by hitting the 3rd sometime just to be able to be more comfertable at the changes and able to pick the noted I want to play when I want to play them. I was wondering, say your in c major, and your playing a 135 chord progression and the E Chord goes for 1 measure, would it work to play the e scale or arpeggio, and could you do this for each chord change if you got quik enough forthe changes?

Hey, that is also a great exercise. If you are playing a chord progression that goes C/Em/G, then you can use the arpeggio for each chord in your practicing.

So, you could play the root of each chord, C-E-G, or you could play the 3rd of each chord, E-G-B, or the 5th, G-B-D. You could also target two or more of those notes over each chord.

I think that anytime you target one or more intervals per chord and are able to recognize them on the neck and play them, it is a beneficial exercise.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 11 2013, 08:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (The Professor @ May 11 2013, 06:25 AM) *
Hey, that is also a great exercise. If you are playing a chord progression that goes C/Em/G, then you can use the arpeggio for each chord in your practicing.

So, you could play the root of each chord, C-E-G, or you could play the 3rd of each chord, E-G-B, or the 5th, G-B-D. You could also target two or more of those notes over each chord.

I think that anytime you target one or more intervals per chord and are able to recognize them on the neck and play them, it is a beneficial exercise.

awsome, do you know of any lessons one for targeting root notes and playing arpeggios over chord changes? it would save me some time searching, currently i record chord progressions over a loop station and simple beat but id like some practice over some good back tracks. level 5 is the lessons im on now and i know my major and minor and arpeggio shapes

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 11 2013, 08:34 AM

+Quote Post
The Professor
May 11 2013, 09:53 AM
Theory Instructor
There are backing tracks on the site here, you just need to search for them, I'm not sure exactly where they are but maybe one of the other teachers can help you out with that.

I also like to use QuistTV, great resource for backing tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/QuistTV

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
May 11 2013, 01:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Try doing this musical excercise

http://live4guitar.com/article/nailing-the...ar-solos-part-1

+Quote Post
leonard478
May 15 2013, 03:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
thanks very much for all your input guys! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:25 PM