Sun Caged – Artemisia, Progressive Metal
MickeM
Jun 11 2007, 10:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sun Caged – Artemisia

This Progressive metal band is seated in Netherlands, keyboard, vocals, guitar and bass – a Dream Theater setup if you like and it works really well. No instrument takes over but everyone gets their fair space in the mix. What I love is the chuga-chuga from a Mesa Boogie. Holding the axe is Marcel Coenen, the axe being his signature guitar(s) for certain. And he does the job real good, he delivers without taking over.

As mentioned no instrument sticks out which makes this record pleasing to listen to, it’s one unit rather than a pure guitar album. Disappointed? Don’t be, this is very good. I get my fair dose of fat punchy guitar rhythm sound, squealing solos, breath taking keyboard runs and sounds, a tight rhythm section, the bass is heard at all times and progressive drums shifting rhythm constantly.

These guys are no Dream Theater copy cats though you can hear they are influenced. The singers voice resembles more of Glenn Hughes than James LaBrie and I came to think of Phenomenas debut album more than once, sounds like he's got a tiny lump of honey in his throat while singing. And by that I mean his voice sounds sweet rather than choked biggrin.gif

I won’t go in to each and every track but in general it’s an album leaning to the heavy side but very often they go from heavy to soft and sometimes there’s even soft vocals to piano while the guitar plays a heavy riff or rhythm. It’s a beautiful landscape of sound.

It’s an interesting album, I don’t want to sound pretentious but this is the kind that takes a few listens before it peaks though my first listen was undividingly positive… It’s their second album, their first (called Sun Caged) was a tad heavier, with Artemisia it feels like a more mature sound. It’s a bit different for sure since all members except Marcel Coenen were exchanged, but still they/he kept Sun Caged’s soul.

Think Dream Theater, think Vanden Plas and my guess is that Sun Caged will fit somewhere there in that area, very close. It's blasting good!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Pavel
Jun 11 2007, 10:47 PM
Instructor
I got their album a month ago and i really liked the songs - but the vocal is something i would change - in my opinion they need a better singer and that band will blow everything away!

Just to add something - Marcel Coenen now endorses Bo-El guitars. They are a small guitar company from Netherlands and i am hoping to get Marcel Coenen's MC-7 - signature 7-string baby by the end of this summer! (i guess my birthday will be the latest date for me to get that guitar if i don't make it this summer hahahaha)

You should definitely check their music if you are a progressive metal guy!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 11 2007, 11:11 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great review!

I love this band, amazing work on this album! smile.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 12 2007, 01:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 11 2007, 03:47 PM) *
I got their album a month ago and i really liked the songs - but the vocal is something i would change - in my opinion they need a better singer and that band will blow everything away!

Just to add something - Marcel Coenen now endorses Bo-El guitars. They are a small guitar company from Netherlands and i am hoping to get Marcel Coenen's MC-7 - signature 7-string baby by the end of this summer! (i guess my birthday will be the latest date for me to get that guitar if i don't make it this summer hahahaha)
You should definitely check their music if you are a progressive metal guy!

Interesting guitars, I watched the video for the MC-6 and I really love the tone where he says its kind of an Eddie Van Halen tone (btw we need an EVH lesson!), sounds great. I might get one if they weren't so far away.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jun 12 2007, 04:12 AM
GMC:er
Stay away from Marcel's new live DVD - the camera angles and editing make me wana puke. But get GuitarTalk and his second solo CD if you like Sun Caged!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:05 AM