2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ngd Vintage Marshall, Finally it's mine!
AK Rich
Jan 3 2018, 01:42 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey everyone! Well, after about 25 years of trying to buy this amp, my old friend finally gave in, so now I am the proud new owner of this 1976 JMP Master Model 50w MK 2 Lead and I am really happy about it. What a great way to start off the new year!
Tomorrow she goes to the most reputable amp tech in Alaska for a complete going through to get her into top shape.
Man I am as happy as a pup with a new ball! biggrin.gif Or a guitar player with a piece of hard rock history!
http://solodallas.com/the-vintage-marshall-guide

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 3 2018, 01:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 3 2018, 02:39 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Congratulations!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 3 2018, 04:27 AM
GMC:er
Very nice!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 3 2018, 06:51 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Thanks guys. Out of all the gear gear I have picked up over the years, this piece is the one I have been most excited about.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 3 2018, 06:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Will we hear a bit of it at some point? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 3 2018, 07:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Now that's a nice piece of kit. Who signed the back?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 3 2018, 07:56 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 3 2018, 09:54 AM) *
Will we hear a bit of it at some point? smile.gif

I imagine at some point I will do some recording with it or make a demo video.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 3 2018, 10:34 AM) *
Now that's a nice piece of kit. Who signed the back?

Thanks Phil. Tommy Chong on the back and Jim Marshall on the inside of the housing.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 3 2018, 09:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah I got the Jim Marshall one, I just didn't get the Tommy Chong one wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 3 2018, 11:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
As we all know, everything from the 70's is awesome! Congrats rich, very nice piece of gear indeed smile.gif
Tommy chong.... of cheech n chong?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 4 2018, 02:20 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Congrats! That just looks awesome. How's it sounding so far?

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 4 2018, 03:14 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 3 2018, 02:04 PM) *
As we all know, everything from the 70's is awesome! Congrats rich, very nice piece of gear indeed smile.gif
Tommy chong.... of cheech n chong?

Thanks Bleez! Yeah the 70's rocked! And yes, that's the guy. I wish I knew the story behind the signature but I don't.

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jan 3 2018, 05:20 PM) *
Congrats! That just looks awesome. How's it sounding so far?

Thanks DeGroot! I wasn't able to play through it at home because it is missing the impedance adjustment plug that goes on the back. It's basically just a jumper that pulls out and goes back in to a spot on the back of the amp and you just turn it to the setting you want of either 4, 8 or 16 ohms and plug it in. The tech just made a jumper real quick out of a piece of coathanger which was of the perfect diameter to plug in and we were able to fire up the amp and test it out. We both took turns playing his Strat through it. It seemed to work alright and sounded good but the capacitors will most likely need to be replaced to get it into top working order again.
The guy actually had the same head from 1974 that he had modified the chassis to make it narrower and put a green tolex on it and then built a custom 4X10 cabinet to match that the head sits on top off.
he also had a bunch of other vintage amps that I had never even heard of that were in incredible condition. Gibsons, Hi Watts, Vox and Fenders just to name a few. He also had quite the collection of vintage guitars including a beautiful Fender Jag and a bunch of old Harmony acoustics and electric/acoustics. When I go back to pick up my amp I think I will ask him if I can take a few pictures. The old guy has tons of interesting stories to tell about aquiring, repairing and restoring vintage gear and sending them all over the world and talked my ear off for at least a couple hours. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 4 2018, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 4 2018, 07:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 4 2018, 02:14 AM) *
I wish I knew the story behind the signature but I don't.

Adds to the mystique smile.gif Its endorsed by half of cheech n chong, I would have bought it for that reason alone.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2018, 06:14 PM
Super congrats!!

Todd

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 4 2018, 06:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 4 2018, 02:14 AM) *
Thanks Bleez! Yeah the 70's rocked! And yes, that's the guy. I wish I knew the story behind the signature but I don't.

Thanks DeGroot! I wasn't able to play through it at home because it is missing the impedance adjustment plug that goes on the back. It's basically just a jumper that pulls out and goes back in to a spot on the back of the amp and you just turn it to the setting you want of either 4, 8 or 16 ohms and plug it in. The tech just made a jumper real quick out of a piece of coathanger which was of the perfect diameter to plug in and we were able to fire up the amp and test it out. We both took turns playing his Strat through it. It seemed to work alright and sounded good but the capacitors will most likely need to be replaced to get it into top working order again.
The guy actually had the same head from 1974 that he had modified the chassis to make it narrower and put a green tolex on it and then built a custom 4X10 cabinet to match that the head sits on top off.
he also had a bunch of other vintage amps that I had never even heard of that were in incredible condition. Gibsons, Hi Watts, Vox and Fenders just to name a few. He also had quite the collection of vintage guitars including a beautiful Fender Jag and a bunch of old Harmony acoustics and electric/acoustics. When I go back to pick up my amp I think I will ask him if I can take a few pictures. The old guy has tons of interesting stories to tell about aquiring, repairing and restoring vintage gear and sending them all over the world and talked my ear off for at least a couple hours. biggrin.gif

Sounds like you have the right guy on the job! I’ve always been a bit more fascinated with vintage gear rather than new gear. It would be cool to see pics of your techs “gold mine” smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 4 2018, 07:23 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jan 4 2018, 09:25 AM) *
Sounds like you have the right guy on the job! I’ve always been a bit more fascinated with vintage gear rather than new gear. It would be cool to see pics of your techs “gold mine” smile.gif

Yeah hopefully he will allow me to get some shots to share here. One that stood out to me was this Gibson stereo amp. He had at least 2 of these maybe 3 including one that was about twice as tall as this one and perhaps contained 4X10's. I am not sure though because the tall one was stacked behind a couple other old amps.

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-ga-79-rt-...-amp-1961-tweed
Attached Image
Attached Image

Here is another one that he has that I just found a picture of. The one he has is in as good of a condition as this one I think. The framework around it allows the speaker cabinet part to be tilted.

http://www.tonegems.com/amps/vox-berkeley-...reverb-twin-v8/

Attached Image

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 4 2018, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 4 2018, 08:03 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 3 2018, 10:52 PM) *
Adds to the mystique smile.gif Its endorsed by half of cheech n chong, I would have bought it for that reason alone.

laugh.gif Right on Bleez! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 4 2018, 09:14 AM) *
Super congrats!!

Todd

Thanks Todd. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 5 2018, 02:02 PM
Many congrats mate!!!! What a great piece of Rock 'n' Roll History!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 5 2018, 05:52 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 5 2018, 05:02 AM) *
Many congrats mate!!!! What a great piece of Rock 'n' Roll History!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks Jonesey! I got the call last night. The head is ready for me to pick up! I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he has a quick turnaround. It's sounds like the power tubes were fine and not only that but rare GE tubes that aren't made anymore and probably worth about $250 apiece by themselves. Also he improved the mods done to the amp and put a switch on it that allows me to have another channel without physically switching input jacks to change. If I understand him right he also added an attenuator to the channel with the modded cascading pre amp gain. I'll be picking it up later this morning. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 6 2018, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 5 2018, 05:52 PM) *
Thanks Jonesey! I got the call last night. The head is ready for me to pick up! I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he has a quick turnaround. It's sounds like the power tubes were fine and not only that but rare GE tubes that aren't made anymore and probably worth about $250 apiece by themselves. Also he improved the mods done to the amp and put a switch on it that allows me to have another channel without physically switching input jacks to change. If I understand him right he also added an attenuator to the channel with the modded cascading pre amp gain. I'll be picking it up later this morning. smile.gif

Cool Mods!!! Especially the Attenuator, great for driving it but keeping the Volume tolerable! I (have to) use one with my Traynor it's only supposed to be 40W but it can make your ears bleed at full tilt!!!
laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 6 2018, 07:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey guys! I have the amp back and it sounds great! KB made some adjustments to the cascading pre amp mod that he felt was creating noise due to some compromised grounding issues. It has greatly reduced the hum coming from the amp. He moved 2 of what I thought were input jacks to the back panel that turned out to be an effects loop and in the holes left on the front he installed an attenuator for the modded channel and a switch to change channels rather than having to physically unplug and replug into the other channel. He also made a back panel for me to protect the tubes and put on the proper knobs where I had one missing and where he added another. So here are a couple shots of my amp and then some shots of what I call KB's museum.

Attached Image
Attached Image

KB's Museum. As far as I know, everything is for sale. So if you see something that interests you, shoot me a PM and I will put you in contact with him.

These old Gibson stereo amps sound incredible! The reverb is sublime. He has 4 of them. The one on the right looks almost brand new!
Attached Image

Here is a shot of his JMP 2204 that is like mine but 2 years older from 1974. As I mentioned before he has made the housing narrower and put on a green tolex. He also custom built a 4X10 cab and also a smaller cab on the top that are additional speakers for the reverb he has installed on the head and placed an attenuator for at the far left end of the front panel.
Attached Image

More vintage amps and cabs in this packed little room.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:32 AM