Drop A Tuning?
longjohn
Mar 11 2010, 11:47 AM
GMC:er
Hey again GMC. I have a bit of a problem. I've been playing an Epiphone Goth SG for a while now, and I wanted to learn Psychosocial by Slipknot, but I hear it's in Drop A. I don't have thick enough strings to tune to drop A, nor a way to get them, presently. So how low can I go with the strings I have? I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Also, if there's any way to reduce the buzz that results from lower tunings, I would appreciate the advice. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
We're all mad here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
ZakkWylde
Mar 11 2010, 12:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ernie Ball Super slinky Stings are gauge 9-42 which is good for standard E tuning (Not for me though, I think 9s feel to loose even on the normal tuning so I use 10s for standard e). With strings this thin you can't really detune your guitar without getting extremely wobbly strings and a bad sound (thicker strings=more tension=better sound)

You can go half a step down to Eb or drop the low e to get a drop d tuning but any further down your strings become too wobly and the neck bends upwards because of the tension-loss and this results in a lot of buzz... you can play psychosocial in drop d, it just won't sound as heavy

Just order a new set of strings online if you want to drop down that low; you will need 12-56 size strings at last, maybe even thicker strings to tune that low. Be careful though with strings that thick you can't just go back to your standard e tuning! The neck will bend in the other direction and you will get a high action + the string tension will be too hard to play with!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Mar 11 2010, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Drop D is the end of the comfortable zone for 9s I think, any lower and you'll lose intonation and clarity. If you have buzzing problems raise the action or adjust the truss rod for bigger relief.

+Quote Post
longjohn
Mar 11 2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys!

--------------------
We're all mad here.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 18 2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor
I think they use seven string guitars for that purpose

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
herrb
May 26 2010, 09:17 AM
if you learn the song by guitar pro 5, you can tune the guitars in the programm to any tuning you wish, drop d would be good for you to use, than you can at least play along to the gp5 file.

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 27 2010, 02:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Mar 18 2010, 09:25 AM) *
I think they use seven string guitars for that purpose

+1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2010, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Dropped A is a bit extreme for a 6 string guitar. As Daniel said, it would be best to use 7 stringed guitar. Dropped A on 7 string is normal thing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 4 2010, 01:50 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey, how about if I was going for Drop B or Drop Bb? Are 12s the way to go? I don't have the money for a 7 right now, and won't for a while. sad.gif So I was going with something else for now. Besides, my favorite band Red plays a 6 string that low. So I know it can be done. wink.gif
I put Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys on it. But that was back when I tuned to Drop C - which was awesome! But tuned to Drop Bb is too floppy with the strings. smile.gif I was thinking of going for the Not Even Slinkys. They are 12s.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Oct 4 2010, 01:51 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 4 2010, 07:52 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 3 2010, 08:50 PM) *
Hey, how about if I was going for Drop B or Drop Bb? Are 12s the way to go? I don't have the money for a 7 right now, and won't for a while. sad.gif So I was going with something else for now. Besides, my favorite band Red plays a 6 string that low. So I know it can be done. wink.gif
I put Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys on it. But that was back when I tuned to Drop C - which was awesome! But tuned to Drop Bb is too floppy with the strings. smile.gif I was thinking of going for the Not Even Slinkys. They are 12s.

The number of strings on a guitar has nothing to do with how low you can tune it, the scale length of the guitar is the all important figure here. The scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge. The longer the scale length, the tighter the tension on the strings. Thats why Strats have a tighter feel than Les Pauls, its because it has a longer scale length.

Seven string guitars usually have a longer scale length, which is to accommodate that low B string. But there are six string baritone guitars that have an even longer scale length than some seven string guitars, the Schecter Hellcat IV is a perfect example.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 4 2010, 12:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
For Drop A tuning I would recommend 12s or 13s on a 6 string guitar. If you are used to 9s, then probably 12s are fine smile.gif
And when you do, take it to a tech to set the guitar up. You can also ask him about gauges. It's perfectly fine, as long as you keep tension fine.
Longer scale length is fine so you can keep tension ok, without using super thick strings, and keep it tight for heavy riffing, but it's not common on 6 string guitars. On my 25.5" 7 string, I use 9-52s, and the tension is like 10s on my 25.5" 6 string, because of the extra tension of the 7 string.
Go to tech to fix it up, and everything will be all good. If it buzzes, raise the action or give relief to the truss rod. Or use thicker (thus less wobbly) strings. Thicker strings can't get too low action though. But let the tech handle it biggrin.gif

About how low you can go, I wouldn't go lower than Eb-D standard. If you want to drop, then drop D with those strings. Depends on how you like it and what you find comfortable. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Oct 4 2010, 12:08 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th April 2024 - 10:34 PM