Paint Job, For my strat
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 24 2007, 03:23 PM
Moderation Policy Director
As I mentioned in another thread, I have a '92 Strat plus that I want to hot-rod. It has had a hard life and has plenty of dinks and scratches. As part of its rebirth, I want to get that fixed up. I don't necessarily want a whole new paint job though. I was wondering if the average Music Shop guitar tech would be able to fix the paint up, or if this is more specialized. If the latter, has anyone had experience with this, and could anyone recommend someone to do this in the USA? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 24 2007, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 24 2007, 04:52 PM
GMC:er
hmmm i might have a name for you . Ik the guy fixes guitars but im not sure about his policy on paint but i hear he does real nice work. But this is in NewYork , distance a problem ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 24 2007, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 24 2007, 10:52 AM) *
hmmm i might have a name for you . Ik the guy fixes guitars but im not sure about his policy on paint but i hear he does real nice work. But this is in NewYork , distance a problem ?

Depends which part - I'm in southern CT, and wouldn't mind driving for an hour or so - any more than that and I'd be looking at UPS - I'd appreciate getting his name though - thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
n0x
Feb 24 2007, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 24 2007, 08:25 PM) *

I know that this might be off topic since I don't live in the USA, but I just read your sig Andrew and I'm curious on how u amplify sound from ur guitar since you don't own a guitar amp. Do you plug in to the computer or do u just use a standard keyboard amp, etc.

I also own a POD XTL and im curious on different methods of amplification that I can use that will sound better than coming straight out of a guitar amp.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 24 2007, 06:04 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Feb 24 2007, 11:44 AM) *
I know that this might be off topic since I don't live in the USA, but I just read your sig Andrew and I'm curious on how u amplify sound from ur guitar since you don't own a guitar amp. Do you plug in to the computer or do u just use a standard keyboard amp, etc.

I also own a POD XTL and im curious on different methods of amplification that I can use that will sound better than coming straight out of a guitar amp.

I use it for practicing and recording - it goes into my mixer and I play it through my monitors. Sounds pretty good with all the modeling and such. One day I will likely get a keyboard amp if I ever play live but I don't need it for now. The key to the XTL is that it is designed for clean amplification - putting it though a regular guitar amp won't give you the best sound, as you will be adding the character of your guitar amp to the already character-full POD tone, a bit like Playing into a Marshall AMP, then miking it up and plugging it into a Fender AMP ... With clean amplification it sounds great (if you want to experience that, just hook up a good quality pair of headphones to the headphone out socket, it sounds awesome!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 24 2007, 06:07 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 24 2007, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 24 2007, 09:04 AM) *
I use it for practicing and recording - it goes into my mixer and I play it through my monitors. Sounds pretty good with all the modeling and such. One day I will likely get a keyboard amp if I ever play live but I don't need it for now. The key to the XTL is that it is designed for clean amplification - putting it though a regular guitar amp won't give you the best sound, as you will be adding the character of your guitar amp to the already character-full POD tone, a bit like Playing into a Marshall AMP, then miking it up and plugging it into a Fender AMP ... With clean amplification it sounds great (if you want to experience that, just hook up a good quality pair of headphones to the headphone out socket, it sounds awesome!

Andrew i live in upstate New york near Binghamton but im already in search of this guys name. Ill get back to you with a phone number.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 24 2007, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 24 2007, 12:41 PM) *
Andrew i live in upstate New york near Binghamton but im already in search of this guys name. Ill get back to you with a phone number.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 25 2007, 12:02 AM
eat-sleep what is the name of the town you live in near binghamton... i just moved to pittsburgh from the utica area....

andrew - on the subject of paint you could always take it to a car or motorcycle paint shop and they can do an amazing job for you... just a thought! i'm completely refinishing a guitar body right now and i'm turning a tremolo guitar into a string through body guitar... using blocks of wood and epoxy to fill it in and also all dings and dents i'm filling in with epoxy also... this stuff is excellent and it's as hard as a rock but completely sandable and you'll never notice the difference between epoxy and the rest of the body! i'm going to post pictures of the work later on...

hope you find someone to get a good paint job!

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 25 2007, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Feb 24 2007, 06:02 PM) *
eat-sleep what is the name of the town you live in near binghamton... i just moved to pittsburgh from the utica area....

andrew - on the subject of paint you could always take it to a car or motorcycle paint shop and they can do an amazing job for you... just a thought! i'm completely refinishing a guitar body right now and i'm turning a tremolo guitar into a string through body guitar... using blocks of wood and epoxy to fill it in and also all dings and dents i'm filling in with epoxy also... this stuff is excellent and it's as hard as a rock but completely sandable and you'll never notice the difference between epoxy and the rest of the body! i'm going to post pictures of the work later on...

hope you find someone to get a good paint job!

nate

Wow, I never thought of taking it to a car shop... makes sense though, thanks for the tip - look forward to seeing your results!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 25 2007, 04:29 AM
Yeah a car shop my be a very good idea ( better the driving 4 hours somewhere far away, for something that you can find right in your town ) . Buckjones i live in Endicott. Doubt youve heard of it tongue.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Feb 25 2007, 04:30 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 25 2007, 05:45 AM
eat and sleep - nah man i've heard of it plenty of times! thats funny... it's crazy that people from all over the world are on here and then there's the small towns you've heard of and driven through... thats awesome... keep on rockin man and keep upstate new york a bad a$$ music scene... there's some real good bands that have come out of the utica area... dunno if you've ever heard of my band (prolly not if you're not from the utica area) buck jones... we've been out and around.

andrew - if you take it to a car paint shop it's gonna be cheaper and you're gonna get a better job done... they'll throw on a good few coats of paint, plus the clear coat... it'll withstand all everyday use. i'm lookin to get a strat down the road here and i'll tell ya what, you're gonna wanna have that around for years to come they just keep going up in value! let me know if you may want to do any of the body work yourself before you get it painted i'll throw you some pointers... with everything i've had to do i've learned plenty. probably put in a good 12 - 15 hours worth of body work on this guitar. lots of trial and error.

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 25 2007, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Feb 24 2007, 11:45 PM) *
andrew - if you take it to a car paint shop it's gonna be cheaper and you're gonna get a better job done... they'll throw on a good few coats of paint, plus the clear coat... it'll withstand all everyday use. i'm lookin to get a strat down the road here and i'll tell ya what, you're gonna wanna have that around for years to come they just keep going up in value! let me know if you may want to do any of the body work yourself before you get it painted i'll throw you some pointers... with everything i've had to do i've learned plenty. probably put in a good 12 - 15 hours worth of body work on this guitar. lots of trial and error.

nate

Thanks buckjones! I'll need to think about doing any of it myself - I'm great with electronics, but anything like woodwork/shaping/sanding is not my forte ... but I'm not in a rush so I'll look at all the options!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 25 2007, 06:49 PM
eat and sleep - nah man i've heard of it plenty of times! thats funny... it's crazy that people from all over the world are on here and then there's the small towns you've heard of and driven through... thats awesome... keep on rockin man and keep upstate new york a bad a$$ music scene... there's some real good bands that have come out of the utica area... dunno if you've ever heard of my band (prolly not if you're not from the utica area) buck jones... we've been out and around. [quote]

lol funny thing is ive been to utica a million times and my dad just came back from a business trip there tongue.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:24 AM