Finally Tried Helix (vs Gt1000)
Mertay
Jul 23 2019, 02:28 AM
GMC:er
Was a rather short demo but the system I used for monitoring was very familiar to me. Quick comments compared to Boss GT1000;

-Helix factory presets are better balanced for quick recording, be it for backing tracks or for an album. Solo it sounded a bit boxy to me (probably thats why users keep testing different ir's) but that is an advantage if recording is in mind . GT1000 is more like a real amp, solo from monitors sounds more like an amp in the room but you gotta work a bit for recording.

-Helix sounds more saturated due to I guess component modelling. This means better note separation with chords using drive and a harmonic richness to the tone. But downside is the dynamic feel (for both player and listener) is a bit duller compared (reminded me of amplitube for some reason) .

-Helix Mod. fx are designed to get a quicker result. But tonally Boss has a clear edge in this area, fx feel more lively almost like a real pedal.

If I had to prefer;

-Helix to be used in a studio, it would simply get the job much quicker.
-Helix if I had a non-music related job and not have the time to tweak tones in detail.
-Helix for backing guitars, GT1000 for solo's for recording.
-GT1000 if I were to using it only with an amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2019, 08:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Did it have the 2,8 update? I haven't tried it yet as I'm away from home. Apparently everything sounds a little bit better. Also, Helix is designed to sound like Mic'd up all but Chad Boston released a free ir for the "amp in room" sound which I can send you if you want wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 23 2019, 09:43 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 23 2019, 07:25 AM) *
Did it have the 2,8 update? I haven't tried it yet as I'm away from home. Apparently everything sounds a little bit better. Also, Helix is designed to sound like Mic'd up all but Chad Boston released a free ir for the "amp in room" sound which I can send you if you want wink.gif

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php...004443/page-209

Hey Phil66 I'm reading some problems with the update process from various people, I mean the install process. Do it when you have good time in your hands and have a read on how people solved their issue's. Just in case.

2.8 update has the new revv amp but from what I read the main importance was compatibility with every other line6 product is achieved among other cool upgrades. But I didn't read about an overall tonal upgrade.

The unit isn't mine, was at a friends house and he borrowed one from a friend (been 2 weeks now since he's been playing with it). I know it doesn't have the latest update but don't know what the current version is, was bought rather new so can't be very old. Thanks for the ir suggestion but rather not load it since its not mine or even my friends.

We monitored rather loud and I think thats why I liked the default ir's, presets so much cause probably that was how line6 engineers listened at their lab.s. For the first time I liked factory presets on a processor and used presets made by my friend too. I could see myself editing ir's, eq'ing to give more air-feel but my impression is that depends on the listening levels to be honest.

The tech they used on both products are very different for the amps and thats where it gets the preference or advantage/disadvantage thing. Line6 and fractal using component modeling, Boss and Kemper using signal matching. But these differences are noticeable for the guitar player and impossible for the listener to identify. After this demo though I now have a very good idea why the Helix is so popular.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 23 2019, 12:44 PM
The overall tone improvement wasn't an official thing, some people said it sounded better but admitted it could be in their head wink.gif

I've found at low volume (bedroom) through an amp it sounds better leaving cab sim/ir running but at higher volume you need to turn cab sim/ir off. I don't know about through a monitor or pa though.

I know you need to follow the instructions carefully for this latest upgrade, I think it goes deep into the system wink.gif

Loading and deleting an ir is so simple it wouldn't cause any problem, let me know if you enter want the amp in room ir, or anyone else reading this, I'll send it. I can't actually say how good it is, I only have one amp that's on the Helix and that's my Blues Deluxe but it's never going to sound the same through my studio monitors and I don't have an frfr speaker cab. Unless I'm missing something or not understanding something.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 23 2019, 02:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
2.8 update went fine for me. I saw some people complaining about errors, etc... which could mean they just didn't read the instructions which specifically mentioned that certain errors would be displayed and that was normal. It took a bit longer than previous updates, but I didn't have any issues. I've actually always been quite impressed with how well their updates work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2019, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Mertay, interesting stuff! Have you tried Helix plug in or the Pedalboard version?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 23 2019, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 23 2019, 01:19 PM) *
Hi Mertay, interesting stuff! Have you tried Helix plug in or the Pedalboard version?

I tested the hardware LT version, but its supposed to be identical sounding with the software plug-in.

The dimensions are pretty big by the way, we could find space for the gt1000 but couldn't for the helix on the desk. But the construction felt sturdy and the menu on the processor was easier to navigate compared to the GT1000.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 23 2019, 11:44 AM) *
The overall tone improvement wasn't an official thing, some people said it sounded better but admitted it could be in their head wink.gif

I've found at low volume (bedroom) through an amp it sounds better leaving cab sim/ir running but at higher volume you need to turn cab sim/ir off. I don't know about through a monitor or pa though.

I know you need to follow the instructions carefully for this latest upgrade, I think it goes deep into the system wink.gif

Loading and deleting an ir is so simple it wouldn't cause any problem, let me know if you enter want the amp in room ir, or anyone else reading this, I'll send it. I can't actually say how good it is, I only have one amp that's on the Helix and that's my Blues Deluxe but it's never going to sound the same through my studio monitors and I don't have an frfr speaker cab. Unless I'm missing something or not understanding something.

Cheers

On low volume, you could try increasing the high-cut and decrease some mid.s instead of keeping the ir on with the amp. But if it works for you that way then cool.

Why not try the LT connected to your soundcard? it has enough in-out to be setuped for both computer and amp usage if I remember correct. The factory presets sounded fine to me, maybe a little mid. bump to cut through the mix if needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 24 2019, 07:54 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 23 2019, 03:11 PM) *
On low volume, you could try increasing the high-cut and decrease some mid.s instead of keeping the ir on with the amp. But if it works for you that way then cool.

Why not try the LT connected to your soundcard? it has enough in-out to be setuped for both computer and amp usage if I remember correct. The factory presets sounded fine to me, maybe a little mid. bump to cut through the mix if needed.

It sounds good to me and others have said the same about using irs with a low volume through an amp because your not pushing much air.

My LT is connected to my soundcard. What I meant about the Blues Deluxe being in the Helix and an actual one being in my room is that it's hard for me to say that the Helix is accurate reproducing the sound of the Fender because it goes through my monitors, I do put it through my amp and it sounds glorious but I can't check for accuracy without micing up the amp and recording it then comparing the Helix model. It would be interesting but I need to be practising wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:24 PM