Remove The Floyd Rose To A Fixed Bidge With Tremolo ?
Keilnoth
Sep 25 2009, 10:08 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey guys,

I own an Ibanez RG270 with Floyd Rose, tremolo, floating bridge, etc.... When I bought it, I thought that would be cool because I won't need to retune my guitar every few hours of playing.

But now, I don't really like it because I cannot drop to Eb or D easily, it takes me 10 minutes to tune my guitar and when I use the tremolo (which I like) I have some tuning issues because the bridge don't go back to its initial position.

So, I thought I could buy a new axe with a fixed bridge. But that's a pretty expensive solution for sure. I am still a beginner and not sure I should spend that much money in new stuff (even though I would love to buy new stuff but I am resisting the temptation wink.gif).

Has one of you already removed a floyd rose from a guitar ? Is it possible to change the whole bridge and replace it with a fixed one ? Or will that be as expensive as buying a new guitar ?

I have read a lot about blocking the bridge which could solve at least one of my problems. So what if I block the tremolo so it can only be pulled out and then I unscrew the floyd rose near the neck. Will that works ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 25 2009, 10:23 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Have you checked out the tremel-no? I think it could solve most of your problems and isn't too drastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec
http://www.tremol-no.com/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 25 2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the link. Will check that.

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 25 2009, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
Unfortunately you can't 'remove' the FR and replace it with anything. You could get a Luthier to remove it and then fill all the cavities with Wood Blanks and then fit a fixed Bridge but this would be too time consuming and prohibitively expensive!!!!
The best option as DR says is the Tremel-no or as you feared a new Guitar with a fixed Bridge.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Nadir
Sep 25 2009, 11:12 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 25 2009, 11:23 AM) *
Have you checked out the tremel-no? I think it could solve most of your problems and isn't too drastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec
http://www.tremol-no.com/

This looks like nice solution. Great stuff is that you don't have to drill into your guitar, especially beginners. I read some reviews and mostly feedback is good. Price is between 60-70 $.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 25 2009, 02:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Block your trem with a Tremol No as stated before, a luthier could make your guitar into a fixed bridge but it would cost a lot of money and your guitar will not sound as a real fixed bridge, just closer to it...

You can sell your guitar tho and get yourself a guitar of the same quality used with a fixed bridge...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 25 2009, 07:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I am in the EXACT same situation as you. I HATE the Floyd Rose on my guitar since I change tunings quite frequently depending on the song. I have a Tremol-No and it works pretty good. I am considering selling my guitar for a fixed bridge for the increased sustain. The tough thing is...I absolutely love the guitar except for the bridge. I LOVE how it plays, feels and sounds. I am going to hate myself if I sell it, and am unhappy with the new guitar.

What to do...what to do...

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 25 2009, 10:42 PM
+1 for the Tremol-No. It's definitely the easiest way to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 26 2009, 09:11 AM
if you are lucky, you can find a fixed bridge version of the edge III bridge....the rg270 however comes with the worlds worst trem in my opinion...id sell that 270 in a heart beat and find something of better quality...actually, id rather just deal with it, save up, and buy a better axe in general...that 270 wont get you that great quality of a guitar...no offense

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Sep 26 2009, 01:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 26 2009, 04:11 AM) *
if you are lucky, you can find a fixed bridge version of the edge III bridge

Is there such a thing?

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Tolek
Sep 26 2009, 01:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Tremol-No is probably the best solution, but another solution came to my mind, as well:

Btw, I have an Ibanez JEM555WH and I got interested in installing a Tremol-No. What should I buy? Here are actually two Tremol-no´s: http://www.voxhumanawebstore.nl/webstore/a...amp;x=0&y=0

This post has been edited by Tolek: Sep 26 2009, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 26 2009, 02:03 PM
You can find the Works With list there : http://tremol-no.com/workswith.asp
For Ibanez it's the small clamp which is recommended.

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Sep 26 2009, 10:11 AM) *
if you are lucky, you can find a fixed bridge version of the edge III bridge....the rg270 however comes with the worlds worst trem in my opinion...id sell that 270 in a heart beat and find something of better quality...actually, id rather just deal with it, save up, and buy a better axe in general...that 270 wont get you that great quality of a guitar...no offense

The Ibanez RG270 has some good reviews on the net so I am pretty sure it's still a good guitar. But perhaps not its tremolo. And I don't really need good quality gear because I am still a beginner. And well, I like my Ibanez. wink.gif

So, I think that I will fix the Tremolo with a Tremol-No and then, when I become better buy a new guitar without tremolo and without floyd rose. I went to my local guitar shop today and saw some nice Schecters. smile.gif

It's good to have 2 guitars anyways.

And perhaps when I will have my new guitar I could still change the pickups on the Ibanez and make it a good guitar with an incredible sound. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 26 2009, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Sep 26 2009, 01:30 PM) *

One of those is for 3 Springs and the other is for up to 5!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Sep 26 2009, 05:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 26 2009, 03:24 PM) *
One of those is for 3 Springs and the other is for up to 5!

Ah, ok, just noticed the difference. In my JEM there are 3 springs, but there can be up to 5 springs. smile.gif Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:26 PM