Music Theory Series Part 1- Intervals, by Dogukan Ozturk
quadrium
Feb 28 2011, 08:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hello all.My name is Dogukan Ozturk.Welcome to my new Music Theory Series Lessons.I know that Andrew has covered all of this subject.But i have decided to do it in my way also smile.gif For the first part of the series we will start with the intervals.

Intervals are the distances between two notes. Each interval will have a number - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. These numbers are the distance between two notes, based upon counting the lines and spaces on the staff.

Intervals may be described as:
-Vertical or harmonic, if the two notes sound simultaneously
-Horizontal, linear, or melodic if they sound successively.
Intervals may be roughly classified as:
-Diatonic intervals, between the notes of a diatonic scale,
-Chromatic intervals, non-diatonic intervals between the notes of a chromatic scale,
-Minute intervals (commas, and microtones), sometimes so small that the difference in pitch between the two notes cannot be perceived.

For example, if we count lines and spaces, starting from C and ending on G, we count: C,D,E,F,G = 1,2,3,4,5, Therefore, the interval from C to G is a fifth (5th).

We can also keep counting past 8, through 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13, but usually not past 13.

List of interval types:

0-Perfect Unison-------P1
1-Minor Second-------m2
2-Major Second------M2
3-Minor Third----------m3
4-Major Third----------M3
5-Perfect Fourth------P4
6-Diminished Fifth-----d5---Tritone
6-Augmented Fourth--A4---Tritone
7-Perfect Fifth--------P5
8-Minor Sixth---------m6
9-Major Sixth---------M6
10-Minor Seventh----m7
11-Major Seventh----M7
12-Perfect Octave----P8

Interval quality:

Intervals also have another identifier in addition to number called the interval quality. Intervals can be called Major (M), minor (m), Perfect (P), Augmented (A), or diminished (d).

Major Intervals:

Minor Intervals:

Perfect Intervals:

Augmented Intervals:

Diminished Intervals:

*The intervals contained in the table are diatonic to C major. All other intervals are chromatic to C major.

Hope you enjoy .See you in next lesson of Music Theory Series.Keep rocking wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by quadrium: Feb 28 2011, 08:27 PM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 1 2011, 11:18 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Interesting as usual Dogukan smile.gif

I'll have this one added to the student instructor's portal in our wiki, as I did with your previous work.

And there it is smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...t_1_-_Intervals

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 1 2011, 04:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Fran @ Mar 1 2011, 10:18 AM) *
Interesting as usual Dogukan smile.gif

I'll have this one added to the student instructor's portal in our wiki, as I did with your previous work.

And there it is smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...t_1_-_Intervals

Thanks Fran smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 13 2011, 05:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Good stuff, all of these - you can never present something too many times, you may have an angle that I missed that works for someone new, so keep it up!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 13 2011, 10:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 13 2011, 04:22 PM) *
Good stuff, all of these - you can never present something too many times, you may have an angle that I missed that works for someone new, so keep it up!

Thanks Andrew smile.gif

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Mar 20 2011, 04:32 AM
Acoustic Instructor
I can't see the images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 20 2011, 06:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey Vinod. You need to sign up to imageshack to see the photos smile.gif

Dogukan,

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 20 2011, 09:44 PM
GMC:er
It may be down to the .png format of the images. Some people aren't able to view them due to the wrong settings.

Do you at least see a red 'X' instead, Vinod?

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:21 AM