Downtuned Lessons: The Vote
Dowtuned Lessons: The Vote
Would You Use And Practice Lessons With Downtuned Guitars If Provided One?
Yes [ 22 ] ** [62.86%]
No [ 13 ] ** [37.14%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 01:05 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Ok, for some time now, i have always wanted to bring this up. I wanted to ask an instructor this, but i want to make sure im not the only one who will practice these lessons.

Who here would like to see a series of lessons with downtuned guitars? im not talking about Drop D, im thinking D or C Standard (Im hoping for C ), or even lower if the instructors wanted to.

Before i made the request to any instructors, i want them to know that there will be more than just me practicing these lessons, so maybe if we can get enough votes, someone will do it. smile.gif

PS

I would like to say, that the downtuned lessons dont necessarily have to be metal, you can do a clean guitar lesson with a lower tuning, still sounds great smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 19 2007, 01:06 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Constie
Nov 19 2007, 01:46 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 18 2007, 04:05 PM) *
Ok, for some time now, i have always wanted to bring this up. I wanted to ask an instructor this, but i want to make sure im not the only one who will practice these lessons.

Who here would like to see a series of lessons with downtuned guitars? im not talking about Drop D, im thinking D or C Standard (Im hoping for C ), or even lower if the instructors wanted to.

Before i made the request to any instructors, i want them to know that there will be more than just me practicing these lessons, so maybe if we can get enough votes, someone will do it. smile.gif

PS

I would like to say, that the downtuned lessons dont necessarily have to be metal, you can do a clean guitar lesson with a lower tuning, still sounds great smile.gif

Well, I think the only tuning that would be useful are the dropped tunings, because they offer a different kind of playing.
The downtunings you are talking about are just lower and it doesn't change the way you play. You could also play them in standardtune.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 19 2007, 01:54 AM
In the style of mastodon?

Standard D. tongue.gif

I think its a good idea but many heavy bands still use just standard tuning or drop d (Opeth), dont think it really makes too much difference. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 19 2007, 01:59 AM
Lets go fishing!
I dont mind downtuned lessons, infact i quite like them. The thing is, for me they need to be playable on a 22 fret guitar easy enough because I keep my les paul tuned down, and my Cort Standard tuneing! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 19 2007, 02:02 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I think that it'd be a great idea
however...
it should be a lesson that focuses on the tuning itself , not on a specific techinique (eg alternate picking) in the tuning of (insert tuning)...

<I think this would annoy any floyd rose users who want to practise that technique but cant>

If the tuning lessons focused on- for example- using a tuning that would make an irregular key easier and more fun to play then im in there!
If there is some hidden beauty in some really irregular tuning (not just downtuned) then id love to be shown some ideas on how to use it cool.gif

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Nov 19 2007, 02:28 AM
I would love a lesson in down tuned guitar, i keep a guitar tuned down most the time i love the heavy sound

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 02:29 AM
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 18 2007, 04:46 PM) *
The downtunings you are talking about are just lower and it doesn't change the way you play. You could also play them in standardtune.

Well for me, i play way different in lower tunings, i have a totally different mindset, and i use riffs in many diffrerent ways that i dont use in E Standard.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 02:41 AM
Instructor
As long as i have only 1 guitar, especially an Edge tremolo guitar, i can't make one of those - you know how much time it takes to re-tune or down-tune the Floyd/Edge axe. As soon as my RC arrives there sure will be some 7-string lessons.

But i am sure our Parker/Gibson instructors could do one of those down tuned lessons.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 19 2007, 02:43 AM
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 19 2007, 01:46 AM) *
Well, I think the only tuning that would be useful are the dropped tunings, because they offer a different kind of playing.

I agree.

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Nov 19 2007, 02:47 AM
Downtuned guitars are fun, I like them for the easy vibrato.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 04:04 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 18 2007, 05:41 PM) *
As long as i have only 1 guitar, especially an Edge tremolo guitar, i can't make one of those - you know how much time it takes to re-tune or down-tune the Floyd/Edge axe. As soon as my RC arrives there sure will be some 7-string lessons.

But i am sure our Parker/Gibson instructors could do one of those down tuned lessons.

yeah i figured when you get your 7 string, ill just tune down to B Standard (seeing as how i dont own a 7 string)

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 19 2007, 05:11 AM
This would be great to do riff lessons and stuff with, so i think it would be handy

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 05:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 19 2007, 04:04 AM) *
yeah i figured when you get your 7 string, ill just tune down to B Standard (seeing as how i dont own a 7 string)

I may also do a lesson with 7-string but not using 7th string, to make it possible for you 6-stringers to play it. I'll just use that guitar to play different tunings.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Nov 19 2007, 05:23 AM
I think dropped tuning is great, especially for those of us who play heavier stuff - so I'd say this would be good.

I would say drop D would be best though, as most people don't have an axe already setup for drop C. D you can just drop one string and it shouldn't require too much effort ( unless you have a floating trem, heh ). Otherwise I'd need to reset my action for C to have it play decently.

And really, with any dropped tunings, I think it's more about the patterns and what you can do different sonically than the specific root of the open string. In my opinion anyway =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 19 2007, 05:34 AM
I voted yes because i like stuff downtuned especially in C and C#,But the only problem is now i only have one decent guitar to play and it has a wild trem bridge similar to a floyd but doesnt lock.Still you cant go down in tune without knocking everything else out and it has to be adjusted all the time just like a floyd so i couldnt play them now. sad.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 18 2007, 08:18 PM) *
I may also do a lesson with 7-string but not using 7th string, to make it possible for you 6-stringers to play it. I'll just use that guitar to play different tunings.

Even better smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 19 2007, 05:55 AM
Instructor
I can try some,my floyd isn't actually floating. wink.gif
Shall D be fine or I must go to C or even B?

I prefer tuning like low E and A go down few tones
while others stay the same,in standard E.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 06:15 AM
D Standard would be great. smile.gif

I'm just hoping for C Standard, but D Standard might be more GMC user accessible.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 19 2007, 06:17 AM
Instructor
So full down in whole tone,got it. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 19 2007, 06:22 AM
In Flames are playing 2wholesteps down tongue.gif

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:00 PM