Re Mix Of Last Song, cookie monster status
enlo22
May 1 2014, 01:35 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
hey guys, so thanks to all of your comments and suggestions on my last post, i took the time to improve the track I made. I did add cookie monster for vocals and also tweaked somethings that you guys helped me realized were off. here's the re make of the last track so hopefully it's improved more! as always, thank you for your comments, they really help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxyXhx-BWhI...eature=youtu.be

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by enlo22: May 1 2014, 01:37 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 2 2014, 02:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ May 1 2014, 02:35 AM) *
hey guys, so thanks to all of your comments and suggestions on my last post, i took the time to improve the track I made. I did add cookie monster for vocals and also tweaked somethings that you guys helped me realized were off. here's the re make of the last track so hopefully it's improved more! as always, thank you for your comments, they really help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxyXhx-BWhI...eature=youtu.be

Very nice track! wink.gif

I really liked the shreddy part at 0:33.
The mix is interesting - feels like its almost there.

The drums don't seem to be in level - currently feel like they are jumping out of the mix.
Try cleaning up the guitar frequencies, this should also help leave a bit more space for the bass guitar to breathe and let drums settle in.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 2 2014, 04:36 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 2 2014, 01:02 PM) *
Very nice track! wink.gif

I really liked the shreddy part at 0:33.
The mix is interesting - feels like its almost there.

The drums don't seem to be in level - currently feel like they are jumping out of the mix.
Try cleaning up the guitar frequencies, this should also help leave a bit more space for the bass guitar to breathe and let drums settle in.

Yeah I started to notice the drums too :/
i'm just confused as to what frequencies to clean. I can hear the problem most of the times I just don't know what to tweak in order to fix it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 05:06 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I enjoyed the recording and I agree with Bogdan, in respect to the mix.

I can only base my moves in a mix on what I hear, not on knowledge on parameters, so I think that aside Bogdan's suggestions, Tony's insight would be a great addition, so you can either write him a PM or he will probably drop in on the topic and lend us his wisdom.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 2 2014, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Now we are talking!! smile.gif The mix can be obviously improved with more practice, and techniques knowledge but the overall sound makes your composition much more enjoyable now. Take Bogdan's suggestions to keep on experimenting but be sure that you are on the right track. Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
May 2 2014, 09:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
that's pretty cool, man. I like it smile.gif
very nice change at 1:55.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 3 2014, 08:10 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
thanks guys, i'm glad i'm not the only one who sees the improvement lol
I would like to hear tony's input..
I also think i really need to invest in some monitors lol!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2014, 10:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ May 3 2014, 07:10 AM) *
thanks guys, i'm glad i'm not the only one who sees the improvement lol
I would like to hear tony's input..
I also think i really need to invest in some monitors lol!

What sort of a budget do you have in mind, in respect to the monitors?

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 4 2014, 01:56 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 3 2014, 09:50 AM) *
What sort of a budget do you have in mind, in respect to the monitors?

well right now i don't have much money, but i rather save and get something worth it. I've noticed that when i get cheap stuff i regret it later on :/ . what is a good monitor for mixing metal? i've seen the Rokit but i want something different lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 4 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ May 4 2014, 12:56 AM) *
well right now i don't have much money, but i rather save and get something worth it. I've noticed that when i get cheap stuff i regret it later on :/ . what is a good monitor for mixing metal? i've seen the Rokit but i want something different lol

The Rokit sets seemed very sterile to me and far better suited for other genres, more electronic oriented. I may be a bit biased here, so you should wait for other opinions, but I got me a set of Yamaha HS7 last year and I bought it after comparing it with a Rokit 8 set. The Yamaha are far better suited for rock/metal music in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2014, 07:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A bit late to the party - sorry but it's been a busy weekend here.

OK, with my mastering engineer's critical hat on -

As has already been said the balance of the various instrument is unusuall to the point where the drums are too far forward. Personally I'm not keen on the kit used either but that's just my opinion. The levels of the drum parts seem odd as well so it doesn't sound like a coherent kit. Some guitar parts have inconsistent tonality and some instrumental levels also lack consistency particularly in the interlude around 2'06''. Some parts - notcebaly guitar - jump about in the stereo field from note to note. The track is a 'w' mix and so there are gaps n the stereo field width and its rather narrow. At times it sounds like the piece is guitar, vocals and some of the drum kit right at the front with a little bit of bass and some of the kit way at the back. Vocals lack clarity. The track tonally is very midrange and rather muddy and that is exaggerrated with the use of delay. Also the decay tails on notes means that they lack crispness and ring on too long. Gainstage needs looking at.

In my opinion you need to work on getting the gainstaging right and how you balance the various parts - in many ways mixing wold be better understood if we called it balancing because that ultimately is what it is.

Having said all that it is an improvement on what I remember of your earlier mixes. The playing and the composition are fine.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:07 PM