Fx Loop Tone Test
Mertay
Jul 8 2019, 07:22 PM
GMC:er
I have a Peavey express 112 for a very long time. Though not used much (specially after 2000's) I sometimes connect processors or use its drive for fun when I can go loud.

It's solidstate, so unlike tube amps I can mute the poweramp (dummy jack on fx return) and send the preamp signal to my soundcard (fx send). Sounded pretty good so I made a quick tone sample, will take the time later on to find a better ir cab. but these should give the idea.

For this sample I used an ir cab. and freeware voxengo tubeamp to emulate some poweramp compression;

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/power

For this I used a different ir cab. and added some delay;

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/solo

Keep in mind this is a 100 dolar amp smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2019, 09:41 PM
Im stoked to see you making some recordings in your home studio and sharing them here on GMC. Sounds good to me smile.gif If you are going to record direct I'd say just skip the Peavey entirely so that you are not married to the tone once it's recorded. The 112 is a fun amp for sure. It's great for live use as well imho. It's not so killer that I'd say you need to have it burned in to your tone though. Once you get your guitar plugged in to your sound card, you can use a bundle of plugins such as you are used to doing to build your tone. The benefit is that you can change everything about the tone at any time if you just use all plugins to shape it.

This assumes of course that your computer is fast enough to allow for real time processing of your tone without creating dreaded lag. Some folks are not able to use a software signal chain without some sort of lag being created due to system resources being insufficient.
Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 8 2019, 02:22 PM) *
I have a Peavey express 112 for a very long time. Though not used much (specially after 2000's) I sometimes connect processors or use its drive for fun when I can go loud.

It's solidstate, so unlike tube amps I can mute the poweramp (dummy jack on fx return) and send the preamp signal to my soundcard (fx send). Sounded pretty good so I made a quick tone sample, will take the time later on to find a better ir cab. but these should give the idea.

For this sample I used an ir cab. and freeware voxengo tubeamp to emulate some poweramp compression;

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/power

For this I used a different ir cab. and added some delay;

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/solo

Keep in mind this is a 100 dolar amp smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2019, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 8 2019, 08:41 PM) *
Im stoked to see you making some recordings in your home studio and sharing them here on GMC.

lol laugh.gif I'll probably use it like you use your Mynasnikov wink.gif solo's mainly. I noticed I've missed taming dynamics, with plug-ins or processor its usually the opposite with distortion.

Since only the preamp is analog, only the thrash button (scoops mid.s, engaged in the sound demos) adds some coloration, unless I need to lower the gain it won't be any different than using plug-ins. Cab. sim. , poweramp and any post fx are all plug-ins anyway.

So I have some fun experimentation to do smile.gif not only ir cab.s but also must test poweramp plug-ins too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2019, 07:19 AM
That's the fun part smile.gif I say go for it!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 8 2019, 05:30 PM) *
lol laugh.gif I'll probably use it like you use your Mynasnikov wink.gif solo's mainly. I noticed I've missed taming dynamics, with plug-ins or processor its usually the opposite with distortion.

Since only the preamp is analog, only the thrash button (scoops mid.s, engaged in the sound demos) adds some coloration, unless I need to lower the gain it won't be any different than using plug-ins. Cab. sim. , poweramp and any post fx are all plug-ins anyway.

So I have some fun experimentation to do smile.gif not only ir cab.s but also must test poweramp plug-ins too.

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 9 2019, 08:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 8 2019, 09:30 PM) *

Have you tried Two Notes Wall of Sound? It does both cab and power amp. You just need to purchase one cab to get the full version.
I played around with it quite a bit going of my DSL preamp. It is fun for sure.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 9 2019, 12:07 PM
QUOTE (Madfish @ Jul 9 2019, 07:29 AM) *
Have you tried Two Notes Wall of Sound? It does both cab and power amp. You just need to purchase one cab to get the full version.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have 2-3 options from existing stuff and if still not happy will try that too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2019, 02:56 AM
Very cool plugin. Especially for using with external hardware. Much cheaper than buying a hardware torpedo!
QUOTE (Madfish @ Jul 9 2019, 03:29 AM) *

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 10 2019, 08:26 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 10 2019, 01:56 AM) *
Very cool plugin. Especially for using with external hardware. Much cheaper than buying a hardware torpedo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol7G6KPeI68...eature=youtu.be

Cool hardware comparison, the Chinese stuff are competitive these days.

Also 2 stuff I've been eyeballing;

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/ironheart-...se-effect-pedal

This seems to be the cheapest tube-preamp available today. Not many eq'ing options, but can re-amp from USB. Can work as a distortion pedal too if a switch is bought, I've read some comments some use it as a DI device before processors/soundcards too.

http://www.nuxefx.com/content-72-272-1.html

The store here which sell's it say they can hardly keep-up with the demand. It similar to a boss jb-2 (emulating same pedals), but offers ir-cab., mod. fx and cool routing options. Users say it works well on stage as a fly-rig, same positive comments with amps too.

No eq, only tone knob of drive pedals...yet people manage to get cool sounds. So with the right ir cab. selection, things can work well despite not having eq. This was what gave me the idea to try my amps preamp, I tried it before but at the time ir's weren't as good and poweramp plug-ins were extremely rare.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 10 2019, 10:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2019, 10:19 PM
Let us know what you end up getting and make some recordings and maybe a video! I don't think I've ever seen a gear video from you mertay? Love to see one! CERBERUS is a very cool pedal unit. It's about the price of a boutique overdrive and it's an entire programmable pedal board. IF you built that piece by piece, just putting it all together, buying a board to mount it on, a power supply and programmable pedal controller would end up costing at least TRIPLE the price imho.

mooer has something called the BLACK TRUCK which has EQ but I don't think it has IR.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 10 2019, 03:26 AM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol7G6KPeI68...eature=youtu.be

Cool hardware comparison, the Chinese stuff are competitive these days.

Also 2 stuff I've been eyeballing;

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/ironheart-...se-effect-pedal

This seems to be the cheapest tube-preamp available today. Not many eq'ing options, but can re-amp from USB. Can work as a distortion pedal too if a switch is bought, I've read some comments some use it as a DI device before processors/soundcards too.

http://www.nuxefx.com/content-72-272-1.html

The store here which sell's it say they can hardly keep-up with the demand. It similar to a boss jb-2 (emulating same pedals), but offers ir-cab., mod. fx and cool routing options. Users say it works well on stage as a fly-rig, same positive comments with amps too.

No eq, only tone knob of drive pedals...yet people manage to get cool sounds. So with the right ir cab. selection, things can work well despite not having eq. This was what gave me the idea to try my amps preamp, I tried it before but at the time ir's weren't as good and poweramp plug-ins were extremely rare.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 10 2019, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 11 2019, 01:00 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 10 2019, 09:19 PM) *

I never had interest in video to be honest, don't own equipment either aside a cheap webcam. Also the quality on has really gotten high with gear demo's, if not with a lot of edits,spacey background, tv-like visual quality...people are quick now to judge, even I don't bother to watch home/semi-pro guys as there are so many pro's doing the same thing these days.

And yeah for the price of a boss JB-2 you get the whole deal from NUX, I never favored mooer aside 2-3 products they make but the stuff these guys make for the money seems very dependable.

Not sure to buy anything yet though, one reason the dollar is too high here and seems I can still make some good use out of my old gear. I'm still playing my mt-2 smile.gif not the smoothest sound but something about it makes me play very fast when boosted with an OD (its really more of a preamp than a distortion pedal).

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 11 2019, 01:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2019, 02:56 AM
Folks seem to like that mooer cab loader. I only ever onwed one moor bit of gear. A tube screamer clone. It was nice, just sounded like every other clone.

It's true, folks are quick to judge on quality these days as the quality level expectations have risen quite a bit in a very short time. Yeah pro players are now doing gear vids quite a bit, used to be mostly semi pro folks. I could see the barrier to entry making it less appealing. Camera, lights, video editing software, etc. It's a big time suck as well.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 10 2019, 08:00 PM) *
I never had interest in video to be honest, don't own equipment either aside a cheap webcam. Also the quality on has really gotten high with gear demo's, if not with a lot of edits,spacey background, tv-like visual quality...people are quick now to judge, even I don't bother to watch home/semi-pro guys as there are so many pro's doing the same thing these days.

And yeah for the price of a boss JB-2 you get the whole deal from NUX, I never favored mooer aside 2-3 products they make but the stuff these guys make for the money seems very dependable.

Not sure to buy anything yet though, one reason the dollar is too high here and seems I can still make some good use out of my old gear. I'm still playing my mt-2 smile.gif not the smoothest sound but something about it makes me play very fast when boosted with an OD (its really more of a preamp than a distortion pedal).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:26 PM